RE: [CostaRicaLiving] Re: Snakes...again

  • Seale Y
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
      >Plate 67 shows an excellent photograph of the "False Coral Snake"
      (Eythrolamprus mimus), with an IDENTICAL band sequence to the above.
      The only noticable difference is that the scales in the center of the
      black bands are somewhat faded. While this snake can cause painful
      bites, they are not lethal.<

      The noticeable difference to me is that on the false coral snake the bands
      are not equally circular the full width of the snake. By that I mean black
      meets red or red/yellow instead of black meeting black.

    • DanTheMan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
        "Red and black, friend of Jack." (False Coral Snake)
        "Red and yellow, dead fellow." (Coral Snake)

        Of course, if I ever saw either one of these, I wouldn't be around long enough to see the difference.

        dm

      • Fred Morgan
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 31, 2006
          Snake that flees - friend of me
          Snake that attacks - is dead, Jack!

          And even color-blind people can use that one!
        • bobsgl@adelphia.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
            EDITED TO REMOVE PIGGYBACKED MESSAGE. Please DELETE prior message before submitting. Thanks.

            Hi,

            I am planning to become a Pensionado later this year and have joined CRL for that purpose.

            I have noticed several exchanges concerning snakes in CR which interest me as I have been a hobbyist and amateur herpatologist since I was a teenager. I would like to know if there are any such clubs or organizations in CR. I would also like to get correspondence from anyone in CR who also has such interests.

            Regards,

            Bob Siegel
          • Paul Mitchell
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
              --- bobsgl@a... wrote:

              > [snip] I would like to know if there are any
              such clubs or organizations in CR.

              ~^~^~^~
              Hi again Bob,

              There are several serpentaria in CR. There's one in
              San José and another west of SJ -on the way to Grecia,
              I think. You will be able to get directions to them
              easily after you are in CR.

              There are also at least a few people on this list
              who seem to have an interest in snakes -or at
              least in the fauna of CR. Perhaps they will respond
              here to you.

              Also, take a look in the 'photos' link on the left-hand
              sidebar on the main page for the group online. Once
              there check out Berni's Bugs where he has posted
              a lot of nature pix, including, I think, a couple of snakes.

              There are IIRC one or two other snake photos among
              the other albums there.

              Hope this helps...

              Paul M.
              [ six weeks and counting 'til VT time... ]
              ==
            • bobsgl@adelphia.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 1, 2006
                Hi Paul,

                We are connecting with each other. Thanks for the information on snakes. I am actually interested in all types of tropical fauna in addition to snakes. Thanks for your help.

                I have emailed the Vida Tropical about my reservations using you as a having recommended it to me. I hope that's OK with you. If not available, can you recommend any other low priced B&B I can use as a central post while I scout out the various towns as I have previously explained.

                Thanks again.

                Best regards,

                Bob Siegel