Recycling

  • forums@jacquelinepassey.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1 12:05 AM
      Is there really no recycling program in San Jose? I'm from Seattle and I
      feel terrible every time I throw a can, bottle, or piece of paper in the
      trash. :(

      Happy New Year!

      Jacqueline Passey
      Check out my blog! http://jacquelinepassey.blogs.com/
      Topics: Blogs & Blogging - Books - Food & Drink - Gambling - Geekiness -
      Love, Sex, & Attraction - Politics, Economics, & Society - Travel - ... and
      my life.
    • lesscranky
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1 5:05 AM
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <forums@j...> wrote:

        > Is there really no recycling program in San Jose? I'm from Seattle
        and I
        > feel terrible every time I throw a can, bottle, or piece of paper in
        the
        > trash. :(

        WHat is the connection between being from Seattle and being
        environmentally conscious?
      • Jon Linn
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 1 6:00 AM
          >WHat is the connection between being from Seattle and being
          >environmentally conscious?

          I don’t know. Maybe it’s the water? I, being from the Northwest share
          the desire to
          protect the environment and natural resources. In Heredia, the Universidad
          National has a recycling center. I am sure there are others.

          Jon of the LostLinns
        • olamoree
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 1 7:16 AM
            For the past 21 years, "certificates" from the Director of Sanitation,
            Municipality of San Jose, not withstanding, my trash/garbage/refuse
            has NEVER been picked up in front of my property and I have never been
            able to force them to do it, except to NOT pay for the services I
            don't get. On the brighter side, ALL of my vegetable material goes
            into a 5 gallon covered bucket and when full, is emptied and buried in
            the garden togther with the weeds and trimmings...free fertilizer.
            About once a month somebody comes by asking for newspaper, bottles,
            plastic, etc. and they get what there is. I try to keep tincans to a
            minimum as well as carrying my own plastic shopping bags to the
            stores. Dry waste, unrecoverable plastic, bits of paper like MSJ
            notifications to pay the garbage collection, a few tin cans, etc. get
            incinerated once a month or so together will all the trash I pick up
            on the street on Sunday mornings (so my neighbors don't laugh at me)in
            order that for a few hours, I can look out and imagine that I am on
            another planet where your neighbors don't throw their trash out into
            the street and preferably in front of another neighbor! and there is
            almost a serene beauty in seeing just the landscape without mans
            careless contribution.... it doesn't last.... A couple times a year I
            clean out the burned stuff and bury it. The tin cans have almost
            disintigrated, the residual glass is smashed to bits and it takes
            years to fill up a meter deep hole of that stuff. My smoke? Sorry, I
            have no choice....

            And comparing apples with bananas, in Florida, for instance,
            "non-traditional refuse" --furniture, washers, tv's, rubble, etc. are
            collected once a month....here, every 8 years! The street sweepers
            leave their white trash filled bags here and there --the perfect
            magnet for the unscrupulous and municiply-denied to dump whatever they
            want next to them. But the problem is that when the trash truck comes
            by, they take ONLY the white bags and leave the rest. I can show you
            rubble, metal trimmings and tile cuttings that have been 15 years on
            my street! "We don't do rubble" the City says.... then who does?

            And knowing that every time I flush the toilet I am forced to
            contaminate the rivers and the Pacific Ocean is not heartening. The
            Ministry of Health closed down my stink-proof outhouse decades ago!

            Go figure...

            Ali
          • Rice Martin
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 1 7:45 AM
              Yes, the garbage situation here in CR can really be a problem, and
              the bigger the problem gets, the more the environment suffers. Where
              we live, there is no garbage collection at all. (I don't mean
              Puriscal, I mean where our farm is). So we've worked out a system
              that works fairly well.

              First, we have three large plastic bins with tops that lock on
              tightly. They're labeled Metal, Plastic, and Glass. They get loaded
              to the top about 4 times a year. Whenever they're full, we take them
              to a recycling center in Escazu.

              Garbage, that is vegetable and fruit garbage, goes into our big
              compost pile every day, which in turn, of course, gets used in our
              gardens.

              Other house waste, things like food packaging (with exceptions), food
              scraps that we don't put into the compost such as bones, meat, fat,
              etc., other pieces of various kinds of paper, and so on, get burned
              in a burn barrel every couple of days.

              Then there's the stuff that can't be recycled and which is horribly
              polluting when burned, such as styrofoam, plastic and metal of all
              kinds (that can't be recycled), broken glass, light bulbs, batteries
              (ugh), etc. This we bury. We've dug a big hole, one and a half meters
              square and three and a half meters deep out of sight of the house, of
              course, and in an area we and the horses don't use. All this none
              recyclable stuff gets buried there. We haven't filled it up yet in a
              year and a half. When we do, we'll dig another hole.

              We really attend to this religiously and hope it helps a tiny little
              bit in the big picture and in the smaller picture of Costa Rica.

              Martin Rice
              Santiago de Puriscal, Costa Rica
              http://www.rice-family.org
            • forums@jacquelinepassey.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 1 7:58 AM
                "WHat is the connection between being from Seattle and being environmentally
                conscious?"

                Heh I thought Seattle's reputation for draconian environmentally-related
                laws was better known, perhaps it's only a legend in the Pacific Northwest.
                Recycling is legally mandated in Seattle, it's actually illegal to put
                recyclables in the garbage and you can be fined. They also only pick up a
                very small amount of non-recycling garbage as part of regular garbage
                service and the rates for anything additional above that are very steep. As
                a result most people in Seattle have the extensive guide of what can and can
                not be recycled taped to their fridge or pinned on their wall somewhere, and
                can get a little obsessive/fantatical about following it. I have even seen
                people at parties picking carelessly tossed cans or bottles out of the
                garbage cans in other people's homes and rinsing them off and starting a
                little recyclables pile for them. The social sin of not recycling is
                apparently considered worse to Seattlelites than the social sin of rummaging
                through your hosts' garbage! :)

                It's hard to live in that kind of environment most of your life and then
                just switch to throwing things in the trash. Plus our household goes
                through a lot of cans and plastic bottles every day which take up a lot of
                volume and cause us to generate what seems to me like an unreasonable number
                of bags of garbage in a week (almost one per day). So I was hoping there
                was someone in San Jose who would pick those up (ideal) or maybe a place we
                could drop them off (really not preferred). If there is some sort of
                recycling pick up / drop off in San Jose I'd love to know how we get set up
                with that and what sort of things can be recycled. We live in the Sabana
                Sur neighborhood if that's relevant. Pop cans and plastic bottles are the 2
                things we have the most of.

                Thanks.

                Jacqueline Passey
                Check out my blog! http://jacquelinepassey.blogs.com/
                Topics: Blogs & Blogging - Books - Food & Drink - Gambling - Geekiness -
                Love, Sex, & Attraction - Politics, Economics, & Society - Travel - ... and
                my life.
              • Joe Nienaber
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 1 8:15 AM
                  Heh I thought Seattle's reputation for draconian environmentally-related

                  Great Idea lets ship it all to Seattle!!!! (they do that stuff in every major city now)
                • escazunews
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 1 10:46 AM
                    in sabana http://www.costarricense.cr/pagina/reciclaje_sabana/

                    PROXIMA JORNADA DE RECICLAJE:

                    · SABADO January 14, 2006

                    · 9.30AM – 12.30PM

                    · Centro de ACOPIO: costado SUR de la Parroquia del Perpetuo
                    Socorro, en Sabana Sur.

                    · Barrio Roma; de la Pop's en Sabana Oeste, 325m al sur.
                    in Escazu http://www.fundatamu.or.cr/
                    http://www.fundatamu.or.cr/Folleto.pdf

                    also they collect in several Escazu zones or you can drop your
                    recycling good at 3 locations in Escazu
                    1- in Trejos Montealegre park Itzkazu
                    2- in the Park next to Mas x Menos in San Rafael de Escazu, next to
                    Plaza ColoniAL
                    3- ON the road from Paco to Multiplaza, from Am Pm 100 mts North

                    Santa Ana, downtown next to the Santa Ana public Gymnasium
                  • Russel Holt
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 1 2:38 PM
                      Hi JP,
                      Don't know nothing about San Jose, but out here in the Province of Cartago there must be some kind of recycling. The children collect Alum. cans and take them to school to be turned in for money that the school gets. Don't know the details, but do give our cans to the school kids. If it happens in Cartago, surely a big place like San Jose has some kind of program. Good luck.
                      Russel

                      forums@... wrote:
                      Is there really no recycling program in San Jose?
                    • vallarta_vicki
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 1 10:29 PM
                        Hmmmm - how are these off topics slams getting on the board these
                        days?? I thought that personal attacks - especially off-topic (like
                        sending armadillos to Seattle) weren't kosher/allowed here???

                        I sure get the connection of what Jacqueline meant in her comment
                        about feeling "terrible" about just throwing things out since
                        Seattle/Washington sure has seemed to me to have been at the forefront
                        of environmental consciousness as a city & a state overall.

                        Being a product of the 70s & one that started numerous recyling
                        programs in places I lived in the past (in Calif - years ago) - I
                        SOOOO can relate to her frustration which I had when I first moved to
                        Costa Rica 5 1/2 months ago - till I finally found a recycling center
                        near where I live since NONE of my neighbors (predominately Tico's) at
                        first knew of such a program. It wasn't till I finally met a
                        gringo/from the States with similar consciousness living in the
                        compound that I found my answer - a recycling center in Santa Ana!!!

                        When we went there, they even told me that they'll pick up AT MY HOME
                        on a certain day of each week if I call them in advance!!! I haven't
                        done that yet though since I haven't been using many of the standard
                        things (bottles, cans, paper) so I just take things there once a month.

                        I'm not sure if the Escazu center(s) or any of the others will pick up
                        at your home - ask - maybe they will (now, let's hope they pick it up
                        & don't co-mingle it with the rest of the trash like I caught my trash
                        guys doing in Florida a few times [I learned SOOOO MUCH about
                        recycling program after turning these guys in & asking to be
                        educated!!! WOW!!!!])!!!
                      • escazunews
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 13 5:58 AM
                          join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/escazunews/

                          GRUPO
                          MATA REDONDA RECICLA

                          CAMPA�A # 26:
                          Fecha: Sבbado 14 de enero del 2006

                          Hour: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 md.

                          #1 Sabana Sur: Centro de Acopio, parking lot next to the parking
                          space of Iglesia del Perpetuo Socorro (church), or from Oficentro
                          La Sabana next to Contralorםa General de la Repתblica 300 metros
                          south and 100 metros west.

                          #2 Sabana Oeste: from Pops 325 mtrs South,

                          bring:

                          Botellas y Envases plastic
                          Botellas y Envases glass
                          cans of aluminium
                          supermaket plastic bags
                          white paper, news paper, phone directories, magazines, etc,
                          Car Baterםes
                          Cartuchos de tinta de impresoras y fotocopiadoras
                          acero como perling, tanques de agua caliente, partes de bicleta, etc.
                          NO se recicla pyrex, espejos, hueveras, envases tetrabrik, cajas de
                          pizza, no se recibe ningתn tipo de vidrio quebrado.

                          for more info

                          386-43-63 / 394-10-71 / 381-06-99 / 848-48-91 / 370-14-01 / 826-97-
                          75 o al correo electrףnico: reciclaje_sabana@...

                          Pבgina web: www.costarricense.cr/pagina/reciclaje_sabana/

                          other dates 2006

                          Febrero Campaסa #27:

                          Sבbado 11

                          Marzo Campaסa #28:

                          Sבbado 11

                          Abril Campaסa #29:

                          Sבbado 8

                          Mayo Campaסa #30:

                          Sבbado 13

                          Junio Campaסa #31:

                          Sבbado 10

                          Julio Campaסa #32:

                          Sבbado 8

                          Agosto Campaסa #33:

                          Sבbado 12

                          Setiembre Campaסa #34:

                          Sבbado 16: Esta campaסa se realizarב el 3÷ Sבbado del mes debido a
                          que estב dedicada a Clean Up the World (�A Limpiar al Mundo!).

                          Octubre Campaסa #35:

                          Sבbado 14

                          Noviembre Campaסa #36:

                          Sבbado 11

                          Diciembre Campaסa #37:

                          Sבbado 9
                        • Rhonda
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 21, 2007
                            We went to take our recycle to the usual location in SantaAna.... and
                            it's gone. Is there anyone who can give me the new location? It has
                            been suggested to me that it is in Pozos, but I have no idea where.
                          • daniel
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 21, 2007
                              santa ana
                              their is one 500 mts west from Colegio de Santa Ana, the one in
                              downtown has been close for a while due to healt department. This
                              info was give by the municipality of Santa Ana `ph 2033344

                              also you may drop off in several Escazu zones at the following
                              1- in Trejos Montealegre park Itzkazu
                              2- in the Park next to Mas x Menos in San Rafael de Escazu, next to
                              Plaza Colonial
                              3- on the road from Paco to Multiplaza, or from Am Pm 100 mts
                              North
                              4-Trejos Montealegre Mall just in front of Banco de Costa Rica next
                              to Hwy
                              5-Escazu Center in front of the Municipality

                              http://newsletter.escazunews.com/index.php?pr=Reciclaje__Recycle

                              regards daniel