Long distance phone calls

  • John Vickery
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      Can anyone tell me what the per minute rates for calls
      from CR to US (or Canada) are via a regular land line?
      Not interested in VOIP or calling cards.

      Thanks

      JV
    • Jon
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        A year ago last October, they lowered the rate from 45 to 27 US cents
        per minute. This is the rate now from Costa Rica to the US, Canada
        and Mexico from your residencial land line any hour of the day, no
        additional monthly fee.

        Jon
      • Jim Woodward
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
          Long distance calls from CR to the U.S. using the standard providers runs minimally $1 per minute. At some hotels, it is substantially more. The calling cards and alternative long distance plans are well worth it, and many have high reliability and quality.

        • Jon
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
            --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Woodward" <Woody@a...>
            wrote:

            > Long distance calls from CR to the U.S. using the standard providers
            runs minimally $1 per minute.

            There is only one provider for residental land lines, ICE. You can
            check the rates at their website by clicking on "Cálculo Tarifa MIDA"
            from the menu on the left side of the page.

            Here is the link to the article in La Nacion, October, 2004 which
            mentions the lowering of the rates, which are approved by the ARESEP.

            http://www.nacion.com/ln_ee/2004/octubre/02/pais6.html

            As far as I know, the calling cards offered by ICE are at the same 27
            cents per minute.

            Jon