Re: tip the hairdresser?

  • Caribbeansoul
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hi Judy,
      At the shop I go to they ladies always go directly to the person they give
      the tip to thank them personally and do that little cheek kissing thing.
      Usually the tip is given to the girls that work in the shop applying color,
      washing and doing nails/pedicures. I have left the tip at the counter and
      ask for it to be given to a certain person working there but the person at
      the counter always calls her right over to take the money and thank me.
      Lesson learned. I hardly ever tip the owner/hair stylist but I do tip him
      big time at Christmas.

      Isabela Brown
      http://www.costaricavalleyproperties.com/
      (506) 388-6126 cell
      (506) 288-4680 home/office

      re; "One person has told me it's considered impolite to
      simply leave the money and walk away, and that a tip should be handed to the
      tippee with a gracious thanks for a job well done. Can anyone else confirm"
    • vallarta_vicki
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
        My belief on tipping in general is if it's something I don't want to
        do for myself or can't do (like cut my hair, color, eating out,
        carrying a bunch of groceries out, standing guard watching a car or
        worrying about it) & ESPECIALLY if I'm paying these outrageously low
        prices (compared to what I was used to in the States. I'm talking
        about hearing of women's hair coloring for $15!! I paid $80-$110 for
        that in the States) - I'm going to show my appreciation WELL!! I tip
        10-20% depending on the level of service & how cheerful they did it!!

        I also ALWAYS tip an owner that assisted me (like a bartender or
        hairstylist). I have NO clue where that myth got started about not
        tipping owners but as a person that has their own biz - I can tell you
        that few people will TRULY know what WORK is till they work for
        themselves & are 101% responsible for ALL aspects of a biz. Sometimes
        we can be the MOST overworked & underpaid people around if you look at
        the big picture of how much time we often put into a biz (to say
        nothing of all the expenses that usually do).

        I tip a MIN. of 10% at restaurants - even if the tip is built in to
        the bill already as we now know that 10% does NOT go to the Food
        Server but is usually spread amongst all the employees (I'm ok with it
        being split with the bus person & cook/chef though I personally would
        NOT want a person that did NOTHING to help me have an enjoyable meal)
        &/or directly to the owner.

        I also like things to be prepared the way I like them, sometimes
        substitutions & I like REALLY ATTENTIVE service & things being done
        correctly the first time so of course I tip for that. Trust you me -
        when you're known as someone that treats them well - they WILL go out
        of their way to take GOOD care of you & I LIKE that!!! I LOVE being
        treated like a Queen (hence I try to treat most others like that as
        well!).

        If I can't afford to tip - I'd NEVER DREAM of going out & expecting
        someone else to take care of me (I'd go to Burger Kings Drive-Up or
        something like that).
      • lesscranky
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
          This thread on tipping is in microcosm the issue of when should
          extranjeros blend in, going with the flow of existing customs, and
          when should they change the current customs?

          Ticos seldom tip, I am told. I haven't had a chance to see for myself
          yet. But a Tico friend told me a sorry story. He had a great
          gardener, and one day he volunteered a raise for good performance.
          Within weeks the gardener was back demanding more raises. My Tico
          friend figured that the gardener must have thought that my friend had
          more money than he knew what to do with, if he was going around
          volunteering raises). Eventually, after several more demands, the
          gardener had to be fired. He had become spoiled by kindness.

          What's the point? Certainly I have found that adding an extra 5%
          ONLY when the service is good causes the server to improve service
          (in a restaurant I frequent). I'm not sure that adding 10-20% would
          change this dynamic, and I think we need to discus whether 10-20%
          might trigger the "gardener syndrom".

          I do hear from some Ticos a certain bitterness that extranjeros come
          into Costa Rica with bags of money, and bid up the prices of real
          estate, pushing prices beyond the reach of most Ticos.

          Is adding a 10-20% beyond the 10% already built in to the menu price
          equivalent to bidding up the price of real estate? Vicki makes the
          case that if you're known as a good tipper you'll get good service.
          Does the converse hold true, so that those who choose not to tip
          beyond (say) an extra 5% will get poor service?

          Food for some discussion.
        • vallarta_vicki
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2005
            I wouldn't say one would necessarily experience worse service by not
            tipping - perhaps just mediocre & personally I'm not into mediocre
            anything in life because I KNOW I DESERVE BETTER (because I tend to
            give more in/to life)!!!

            My biz is in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico where I'm used to some of the
            BEST service I've experienced in ALL the places I've visited or lived
            (unfortunately it's WAYYYY TOOOO party for where I'm at in my life
            right now hence part of the reason I didn't move there). Most service
            workers (especially food servers) are tipped pretty well. I'm SURE
            that helps!!! In Florida - at least on the West Coast - I didn't
            experience anywhere near as good detailed service as I did when I
            lived in Calif.

            From what I hear most Tico's don't tip or at least not much but MANY
            (NOT all!!) Tico's don't make lots of money in the first place - not
            compared to what many gringos are used to!! Even a person on minimum
            Social Security from the States is often bringing in WAYYYY MORE $$
            often than a whole Tico or Nica family makes. I'm not sure why people
            keep bringing this point up as that's beyond comparing apples to
            oranges!!!!

            From MANY conversations I've had here & postings I've seen on the
            boards - there seem to be many people that don't tip service workers
            or treat their workers really well (based on what I consider well).

            We all come from different schools of beliefs. Personally I LOVE to
            help people feel empowered so they want to better their lives which
            COULD (& often does) mean they may move on to something better/more
            pay. When I pay someone more for something - I'm VERY clear (usually
            in a writen agreement) that I'm giving them more because I EXPECT more
            out of them & if they don't give me what I expect - they WILL get less
            or NOT have a job - simple as that!! GOOD CLEAR Communications is
            VERY CRUCIAL no matter where you live.

            The other day my massuese gifted me with a cool colorful cutting board
            (my other one was clear & she knows I LOVE color!! She tells me that
            no one's ever been so kind to her & she REALLY appreciates the fact
            that after she finishes doing me I let her sit in my massage chair for
            15+ min., I feed her lunch & I let her take a shower before she goes
            on to her next appointment plus I've brought her some other business &
            even let her use my massage table for them). The gal that's making my
            curtains (which I've ONLY given her a partial payment because she's
            not finished since she's doing this in between jobs) often brings me
            some treat she's made or gifted me with something I didn't ask for
            like an ironing board cover to match my couch cushions. Even my
            neighbors often bring me some little treat when they just stop in to
            say hi! Why? They've all said I make them feel welcome & appreciated
            - just like any other friend. Of course I mainly attract cool/special
            people I KNOW BECAUSE I try to treat others WELL - in BIG part because
            I LOVE to be treated well!!!

            If others are doing well - it just reminds me that there's even MORE
            of that out there for ALL of us (helps me on those days I may be stuck
            in my self-sabatoge mode!!)

            I can't help but feel that MANY people don't treat their workers well
            because they are afraid they're going to leave them (my abandonment
            issues are in other areas).

            To me - ANYTHING/ANYONE that doesn't work out - it just means that
            something BETTER is right around the corner!!!

            I don't do that "that's just how it's done here" belief as there are
            parts of the world where people are still treated like slaves or women
            are treated like sub-humans - does that mean you should treat those
            people the same way - just because that's how everyone else treats
            them there or that's how they're used to being treated?

            I'm blessed to have WONDERFUL people show up in my life in people that
            assist/help take care of me & in GOOD QUALITY DEEP friends!!! As
            usual - I see & live the world in a VERY DIFFERENT light!!! VIVA la
            differance!!!!
          • Jacqueline Mackie Paisley Passey
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2005
              vallarta_vicki wrote: "I don't do that "that's just how it's done here"
              belief as there are parts of the world where people are still treated like
              slaves or women are treated like sub-humans - does that mean you should
              treat those people the same way - just because that's how everyone else
              treats them there or that's how they're used to being treated?"

              This line reminds me of some issues I have encountered since moving here a
              month ago and beginning my journey in learning to adjust to the culture.

              Some cultural practices -- how to greet people, acceptible small talk
              topics, concepts of personal space, concepts of lateness -- I don't mind
              adjusting to. But there are some aspects of culture -- for example, racism,
              sexism, classism, dishonesty, unreliability -- that may be "the Tico way"
              but I am unwilling adopt because of my own principles.

              I would love to hear from more experienced folks who have lived here a lot
              longer how you have found a balance between adjusting to the culture and
              being true to your own values.

              Jacqueline Passey
              My blog: http://jacquelinepassey.blogs.com/
            • Fred Morgan
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 4, 2005
                Jacqueline,

                In the beginning, move slow. Watch, observe. Start with the assumption
                that the culture here works - just like the culture back where you came
                from. But, it doesn't work if only pieces are used. This is a lot like
                us growing trees. I recently did a paper because people assume that
                because we are successfully growing trees, well, surely they can too.
                Perhaps, but usually they haven't learn enough first and often they
                don't have enough money. So, I did an article to explain the things that
                are not generally said in the industry because they are assumed.

                The same thing is true for the culture. There are things that are
                assumed here and not stated. One is because of our "wonderful" TV shows.
                Surely all you know that everyone of us is rich! Why? Because on the TV
                shows they show blue collar workers living in very nice, large homes in
                beautiful neighborhoods. Honest, I was just talking with two students of
                a technical school and had to let them down gently that most people
                DON'T live that way. They also assume that people from the USA are,
                shall we say, a bit preoccupied with sex. A interesting discuss would be
                is how much of the problems of the USA now is the trash we export on TV.
                If you think about what people think about us from seeing TV, it will
                make you shudder.

                The key here is that attitudes are in your face. They are no different,
                they just aren't wrapped up in political correctness. People are people.
                You are just getting many in the raw, instead of dressed up and concealed.

                The dishonesty and unreliability depend on who you are talking with.
                Some of the most honest people I have ever met, I have met here. You can
                tell really quick. Look for people who don't smile all the time and look
                you in the eye. If someone is acting like you are just so wonderful,
                grab your wallet. This was policy in the USA and also my policy here. It
                works well. Also, if you find someone emphasizing that they are honest -
                they probably aren't. My experience is that honest people are honest
                with themselves and know that they have times they are tempted. Those
                who protest too much are suspect.

                So, your assumption that the "Tico way" is dishonest and unreliable is
                off-base. Find a better group of people to be around. When you first
                land in this country, there are many scoundrels who wish to drain you of
                your excess money. Eventually you will find the good people, if they
                find that you too are good. By the way, regarding dishonesty - always
                remember with humility that the Ticos have 2 ex-presidents sitting in
                jail. I think their Democracy is more honest than ours.

                I am still me, I still act the way I did in the USA. I was an alien
                there too... ;-)

                Fred
              • lesscranky
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 4, 2005
                  > I would love to hear from more experienced folks who have lived
                  here a lot
                  > longer how you have found a balance between adjusting to the
                  culture and
                  > being true to your own values.

                  I am still going "slow" and trying to determine where the line is for
                  me between my core values and CR's cultural differences.

                  But one thing I have learned is not to make quick assumptions about
                  the "tico way". As many have pointed out on this board, there are
                  many individual differences in CR -- some are the most honest you
                  will ever meet, others can't be trusted -- just like "back home".

                  One thing I used to believe is that lateness is endemic in CR, only
                  to read a few months ago a survey by La Nacion showing that 85% of
                  Ticos hated lateness! I had subscribed to the assumption that
                  Latinos were chronically late. But if 85% hate lateness, how come so
                  many miss appointments? I don't get it.

                  So, if any opf the veterans here have figured out the "Tico
                  culture" , perhaps they could write a short manual for the rest of
                  us -- subject to all the caveats about generalizations, of course.
                • olamoree
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 4, 2005
                    Hmmm, dangerous waters. The LaNacion survey points out a
                    Tico/Latin/other "quirk" akin to what severe parents say, "Do as I
                    say, not as I do." So in the spirit of enlightenment, yes, there is a
                    certain amount of, shall we say, hypocracy in them there bushes.

                    Further, you must keep in mind that offenses TO you are mostly
                    forgotten, while offenses to ME will never be. Example, the maid,
                    carelessessly and against your previous warnings, drops and breaks
                    your grandmothers favorite vase. You are incessed, you shout! I TOLD
                    YOU NOT TO TOUCH THAT! The maid sulks off, packs her stuff and
                    leaves. Two months later you run into her at the grocery store, make
                    a guarded greetings and try to restore peace, asking, why did you pack
                    up and quit? The maid replies that because you shouted at her so you
                    ask, WHY did I shout at you? The maid says that she doesn't
                    remember.......

                    Ali