will US phone work?

  • Fred Holmes
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
      Will our radio shack portable phone with built in answering machine work in CR?

      Fred Holmes

    • Dr Ron
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
        Responding to Fred's questions about US phones working here - I've brought down several and have no problems with them working - except for my cell phone!!! Bought a nice one here only to learn I'd been duped - there are no "lines" available. And since when does a cell phone have a "line" anyhow??? Silly gringo!

      • Rayburn Corder
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
          I have brought several cell phones to CR and even sold
          them to various people there. It MUST be a phone that
          can accept a SIM chip and can be either TDMA or GSM.
          The line is another thing tho. I rented a line from a
          friend down there and he provided the SIM for the
          phone I was using. It worked very well as I could
          take a phone with me that had all of my important
          numbers already on it.

          Rayburn

          --- Dr Ron <brutseller@...> wrote:

          > Responding to Fred's questions about US phones

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ron R
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
              Yes, partially true. As for TDMA, the US frequencies are the same as
              CR and if the phone is "dual mode" meaning analog and digital, you
              will get full coverage in CR once you have a line and this service
              does NOT use a SIM card, the phone itself is "programmed" by ICE.
              There are only 50 analog customers left in CR! the rest are digital.
              ICE is supposed to start selling TDMA lines next week!

              As to GSM phones, CR uses the European frequencies, 900 and 1800,
              (whereas the US uses 1900)....NOT COMPATIBLE! However, more and more,
              GSM phones sold in the US are "multi-mode", to say that they will work
              on 900 or 950, 1800 and 1900, not to be confused with "tri-mode" which
              is CDMA, 3rd generation cell service and NOT used in CR....yet.
              Rayburn "accidently" maybe, brought multi-mode phones and thus only
              needed to change the SIM card from the US one to the CR one (provided
              you have a line!) to have the "multi-mode" phone work here in CR.
              Wow, talk about luck! ICE is supposed to start selling additional GSM
              lines the last week of November....

              So, if you are bringing a phone from the US, make sure it is a dual
              mode TDMA that ICE can program for you, OR, a GSM "multi-mode" phone
              that is capable of 900 or 950 and 1800 and 1900 if you expect to use
              it here in CR as well as in the US. You can check with 193 here or
              the ICE website for compatible phones. Hope this helps.

              Ali
            • Rayburn Corder
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2005
                There was no luck to it Ali. My friend there in CR
                advised me which models to bring so it was a no sweat
                deal with no luck involved. I was also informed that
                any tri band phone from the U.S workes just fine down
                there and both my Motorola V180 and V551 work just
                great in CR. A little side note, the first phone I
                took down there (a Motorola TDMA) was my stateside
                phone and I was told by AT&T that it would work there.
                It did work not the way I wanted. All I could dial
                was 911 (and I got a 911 operator) but I could not
                dial anyone else. AT&T later backed up on their
                earlier statement and told me that CR was not in the
                multi-national agreement setup. A 911 call will be
                answered where ever you are, even in the states on a
                discontinued phone. We used to donate all of our old
                company phones to various organizations that would in
                turn give them to people with out any phone at all so
                that they could at least call for emergency services
                (911).

                Rayburn

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Carneiro@yahoo
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
                  I brought in two AT&T Erickson cellphones with the AT&T logo on the lid (LX-588?) shortly after Millicom left, and Costa Rica started selling cellphone lines (about eight years ago). I got one line "hooked up" right away and it worked fine. Four months later I showed up with the second phone (an identical cellphone), ready for another line; the tech at ICE said that it was not compatible with their system. I pointed out I already had a clone hooked up, and that it continues to work fine, that it too was a TDMA 800MHz.
                  The technician at ICE finally told me, "Donde manda capitán, no manda marinero" - he was following orders.

                  The last I've read, they have formalized their mandamientos; ICE has published notices that they will not hook up a cellphone that has been purchased outside of Costa Rica.

                  Ciao;
                  Anthony C.