Re: Portalon and unfair

  • barrystevens2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Janet Blakeley
      <courtney@r...> wrote:
      > So, where does the judgment come from? I further request you at
      > least use a name

      At one point, choosing an incomprehensible "handle", or at least one
      with meaning known only to the chooser, was an important thing.

      In the early days of the internet, such names served as a mask, from
      behind which all kinds of vitriol could be spewed with immunity.
      This removed the need to have, and to live up to, a civilized code
      of conduct.

      As the internet grew, and its users grew with it, things have been
      slowly moving back to human terms... people are using their names
      again. People can meet, and "talk" with other people. I, for one,
      find that refreshing.

      Then, those who have something to say can say it, and be
      accountable.

      Isn't that what freedom of expression is all about?

    • fgtesbcnow
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005

        > So, where does the judgment come from? I further request you at
        least use a name when basically attacking 2100+ people. Tell us,
        what have you done to help?

        My, my touchy, aren't we!! Must have hit a nerve. I thanked
        Jacqueline Mackie Paisley Passey for her message and it was exactly
        what was needed.

        I'll let you guess at what I've done but I'll assure you it's far
        more than the majority of the left leaning touchy-feely types that
        permiate this group. I just thought it odd that there wasn't more of
        a show of support for those on the coast. I guess when your sitting
        high and dry around San Jose, food is a more important subject.

        As for my "handle", it's from another group and, unfortunately , it
        carries through to all Yahoo groups. I wasn't "attacking" the group,
        only making an observation.

        Ken
      • Janet Blakeley
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          Well, Ken, and all,

          Yes, I do tend to want to defend this group when it appears it has been attacked. I still read BOTH your messages as an attack on other members. No, I don´t see them as a difference of opinion or ¨feelings¨. The members, in general, are generous with their time, information, and assistance here and abroad.

          I pointed out where messages about how to help, and with reports of status of the areas affected, had been posted. The first request from Jacqueline was responded to with ways to contribute and an offer of an online way to send money via credit card. There were quite a few other messages as well.

          If I offended anyone, I do apologize. Even moderators can get offended and defensive. I am calling this off now, though. Anyone who wants to argue with a moderator about how the list is run, please do so off-list. And please remember that message content arises from members, and from their wants and needs.

          In general, if you want the group to provide information, I would suggest you do a bit of homework, do not insult the members, and merely ASK for an update or help.

          Done with this,
          HARDLY dry in Grecia,
          Janet

        • Sharon & Dick
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
            Ken, in the words of another person on this list...get over yourself.
            Your comments are uninformed and gratuitous, and don't add anything to
            this group or to anyone's efforts to help where help is needed.

            The list has a core of 50-100 bilingual (at least), community-involved
            members. Most of us are long-term (5-40 year) Costa Rica residents,
            many of us are citizens...naturalized or by birth, and most of us
            contribute our efforts to the neighborhoods, as well as the country, in
            which we live. I've posted this before, but maybe it should be
            repeated. Among the frequent posters to the list are people who have
            for years worked without pay at their professions (I'm a physician, many
            of us are teachers, nurses, farmers, writers, electricians, speech
            therapists, business owners), who have raised families (my three
            children have grown up here, as has Janet's daughter, Jorge and Annie's
            daughters, Jerry and Monica's kids, Ken's kids, to name only a few), and
            who seem to have fairly divergent political philosophies...or none at
            all. We've put local kids through school, paid for uniforms and books,
            housed homeless kids and families, made gifts of land and labor to
            valued employees, and even paid for funerals. Some contributions to
            the community are less visible (and less obviously publicised) than
            others...doesn't mean they're not happening. I've known some of the
            listmembers for 30+ years and still have no idea what their politics
            might be, but the dictionary says that liberal means generous, so I'll
            stick with that.

            The list isn't for the purpose of news or for voluntary charity,
            although both of those happen. I also know that some of the
            steak-hungry, pedicure- driven, heavily chiropracted posters are the
            first people I can call if I need someone to pick up a medication for a
            sick baby at Fischel's in San Jose in the middle of the night. And some
            of the loudest trumpeters of religious faith or secular good works are
            the last I'd ask for a favor. I also know that many listmembers live on
            the coasts, in San Vito, San Isidro del General, Sixaola, Naranjo, and
            even Los Chiles. Not all are Meseta Central denizens.

            So unless you want to name people whose uncaring callousness
            particularly disappoints you, go make someone's mortgage payment for
            them. Or clear out a room for one of the HIV positive homeless
            glue-sniffers. They'll love you for it....although a divine reward is
            still conjectural.

            Sharon