Re: Portalon - Natural Disasters and "Everyday Disasters"

  • barrystevens2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "fgtesbcnow" <kshatzer@a...>
      wrote:
      > It seems Tex Mex and steaks garner
      > more messages than helping the folks on the coast.

      Many things relevant to everyday living are posted here. I even
      fought the urge to post my own own plaintive bleatings on where
      Spoon Size Shredded Wheat can be found. (In my case, the need is
      medical, and we now have people coming to visit bring them down a
      case at a time.)

      In our culture, it's disasters that make the news. People out of a
      home - no water, no electricity, no phone, no shelter from the
      elements, no protection from serious diseases. When this is is an
      abnormal situation - when people who have had those things are
      deprived of those things - it is justifiably termed a terrible
      disaster.

      The newspapers and television make it big news. Everyone reacts.
      Many open their pocketbooks. Some volunteer their time. Some offer
      their "stuff." Some open their homes. The rebuilding begins. Hope
      for the future once again comes alive. Access to these things is
      restored. Action is good.

      When the condition is ordinary - when people live every single day
      with no water, no electricity, no phone, no shelter from the
      elements, no protection from serious diseases, it's not often even
      discussed. Yet for the indigenous in this area of Costa Rica, living
      up in the mountains, it's everyday life, and an "everyday disaster."
      It's everyday life for most of the world's poor and very poor as
      well, regardless of where they live. And when there is no access to
      capital, and even building for the first time cannot occur, let
      alone rebuilding, there is little cause for hope for the future.

      Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying "don't help". I agree that action
      in the face of a natural disaster is good.

      I suggest that action in the face of "everyday disaster" is also
      good. Do all you can, help all you can. How can you help? As one
      option, see below.

      Action is good.

      Barry Stevens
      Co-Founder, El Puente - The Bridge
      The Bridge provides educational assistance, food assistance, and
      microloans mainly to indigenous people in the southeastern part of
      Costa Rica. Our goal is to help people help themselves to self-
      sufficiency.
      See us at http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org