Portalon and unfair

  • Janet Blakeley
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
      Dear fgtesbcnow,

      Please see messages 35610, 35635, 35639, 35641 among others.

      I admit it appears that FOOD gets this group excited, but we are not a news source. There is ample coverage on all the online and hard copy news sources.

      AND everyone I know in Costa Rica has pitched in to help in whatever way they can. We also have several members going above and beyond the call!

      So, where does the judgment come from? I further request you at least use a name when basically attacking 2100+ people. Tell us, what have you done to help?

      Annoyed in Grecia,
      Janet

    • barrystevens2001
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Janet Blakeley
        <courtney@r...> wrote:
        > So, where does the judgment come from? I further request you at
        > least use a name

        At one point, choosing an incomprehensible "handle", or at least one
        with meaning known only to the chooser, was an important thing.

        In the early days of the internet, such names served as a mask, from
        behind which all kinds of vitriol could be spewed with immunity.
        This removed the need to have, and to live up to, a civilized code
        of conduct.

        As the internet grew, and its users grew with it, things have been
        slowly moving back to human terms... people are using their names
        again. People can meet, and "talk" with other people. I, for one,
        find that refreshing.

        Then, those who have something to say can say it, and be
        accountable.

        Isn't that what freedom of expression is all about?

      • fgtesbcnow
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005

          > So, where does the judgment come from? I further request you at
          least use a name when basically attacking 2100+ people. Tell us,
          what have you done to help?

          My, my touchy, aren't we!! Must have hit a nerve. I thanked
          Jacqueline Mackie Paisley Passey for her message and it was exactly
          what was needed.

          I'll let you guess at what I've done but I'll assure you it's far
          more than the majority of the left leaning touchy-feely types that
          permiate this group. I just thought it odd that there wasn't more of
          a show of support for those on the coast. I guess when your sitting
          high and dry around San Jose, food is a more important subject.

          As for my "handle", it's from another group and, unfortunately , it
          carries through to all Yahoo groups. I wasn't "attacking" the group,
          only making an observation.

          Ken
        • Janet Blakeley
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
            Well, Ken, and all,

            Yes, I do tend to want to defend this group when it appears it has been attacked. I still read BOTH your messages as an attack on other members. No, I don´t see them as a difference of opinion or ¨feelings¨. The members, in general, are generous with their time, information, and assistance here and abroad.

            I pointed out where messages about how to help, and with reports of status of the areas affected, had been posted. The first request from Jacqueline was responded to with ways to contribute and an offer of an online way to send money via credit card. There were quite a few other messages as well.

            If I offended anyone, I do apologize. Even moderators can get offended and defensive. I am calling this off now, though. Anyone who wants to argue with a moderator about how the list is run, please do so off-list. And please remember that message content arises from members, and from their wants and needs.

            In general, if you want the group to provide information, I would suggest you do a bit of homework, do not insult the members, and merely ASK for an update or help.

            Done with this,
            HARDLY dry in Grecia,
            Janet

          • Sharon & Dick
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
              Ken, in the words of another person on this list...get over yourself.
              Your comments are uninformed and gratuitous, and don't add anything to
              this group or to anyone's efforts to help where help is needed.

              The list has a core of 50-100 bilingual (at least), community-involved
              members. Most of us are long-term (5-40 year) Costa Rica residents,
              many of us are citizens...naturalized or by birth, and most of us
              contribute our efforts to the neighborhoods, as well as the country, in
              which we live. I've posted this before, but maybe it should be
              repeated. Among the frequent posters to the list are people who have
              for years worked without pay at their professions (I'm a physician, many
              of us are teachers, nurses, farmers, writers, electricians, speech
              therapists, business owners), who have raised families (my three
              children have grown up here, as has Janet's daughter, Jorge and Annie's
              daughters, Jerry and Monica's kids, Ken's kids, to name only a few), and
              who seem to have fairly divergent political philosophies...or none at
              all. We've put local kids through school, paid for uniforms and books,
              housed homeless kids and families, made gifts of land and labor to
              valued employees, and even paid for funerals. Some contributions to
              the community are less visible (and less obviously publicised) than
              others...doesn't mean they're not happening. I've known some of the
              listmembers for 30+ years and still have no idea what their politics
              might be, but the dictionary says that liberal means generous, so I'll
              stick with that.

              The list isn't for the purpose of news or for voluntary charity,
              although both of those happen. I also know that some of the
              steak-hungry, pedicure- driven, heavily chiropracted posters are the
              first people I can call if I need someone to pick up a medication for a
              sick baby at Fischel's in San Jose in the middle of the night. And some
              of the loudest trumpeters of religious faith or secular good works are
              the last I'd ask for a favor. I also know that many listmembers live on
              the coasts, in San Vito, San Isidro del General, Sixaola, Naranjo, and
              even Los Chiles. Not all are Meseta Central denizens.

              So unless you want to name people whose uncaring callousness
              particularly disappoints you, go make someone's mortgage payment for
              them. Or clear out a room for one of the HIV positive homeless
              glue-sniffers. They'll love you for it....although a divine reward is
              still conjectural.

              Sharon