Portalon

  • fgtesbcnow
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
      Iam somewhat disappointed that this forum has not had more
      information/response to the situation in the area south of Quepos and
      the town of Portlan in particular. It seems Tex Mex and steaks garner
      more messages than helping the folks on the coast.

      Just my two cents
    • Jacqueline Mackie Paisley Passey
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2005
        > Iam somewhat disappointed that this forum has not had more
        > information/response to the situation in the area south of Quepos and
        > the town of Portlan in particular.

        I apologize for not following up on my previous messages about this
        sooner. I was at the ARCR seminar on moving to and living in Costa
        Rica all day yesterday and today.

        It is now possible to donate online to help the flood victims!

        Enrico Cacciatore, editor of the daily online newspaper Inside Costa
        Rica, has been kind enough to set up a PayPal account to receive online
        donations. He will personally forward the donations to the Red Cross.
        (The Costa Rican Red Cross does not appear to be set up to take
        donations online directly.)

        The PayPal donation button is with yesterday's article about the
        flooding:
        http://insidecostarica.com/dailynews/2005/september/29/nac01.htm

        It is easy to set up a PayPal account if you don't have one yet, and
        then you will be able to donate online using money from your credit
        card or checking account.

        Please -- if you live in Costa Rica, if you plan to move here, if you
        visit here as a tourist -- consider donating to help all the families
        who have lost everything in the flood. Especially if you live, plan to
        live, or visit the Pacific Coast areas -- these are your neighbors and
        hosts who are hurting!

        If everyone on this list donated just $25 we could raise over $50,000.
        That would help a LOT. Please consider donating at least $25, or more
        if you can afford to. Personally I have donated $70.

        If you prefer not to donate online, the Tico Times published the
        following information on how to donate via a local bank: "The Red Cross
        is accepting donations of non-perishable foods, water and personal
        hygiene products, as well as money, which can be deposited in the
        following bank accounts: Banco Nacional, 100100-7 (colones), Banco de
        Costa Rica, 176-003-3 (colones) and Banco Popular, 5000-7 (colones)."

        Thank you very much for your generosity and concern for our Costa Rican
        neighbors and hosts.

        Jacqueline Passey
        http://jacquelinepassey.blogs.com/
      • barrystevens2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
          --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "fgtesbcnow" <kshatzer@a...>
          wrote:
          > It seems Tex Mex and steaks garner
          > more messages than helping the folks on the coast.

          Many things relevant to everyday living are posted here. I even
          fought the urge to post my own own plaintive bleatings on where
          Spoon Size Shredded Wheat can be found. (In my case, the need is
          medical, and we now have people coming to visit bring them down a
          case at a time.)

          In our culture, it's disasters that make the news. People out of a
          home - no water, no electricity, no phone, no shelter from the
          elements, no protection from serious diseases. When this is is an
          abnormal situation - when people who have had those things are
          deprived of those things - it is justifiably termed a terrible
          disaster.

          The newspapers and television make it big news. Everyone reacts.
          Many open their pocketbooks. Some volunteer their time. Some offer
          their "stuff." Some open their homes. The rebuilding begins. Hope
          for the future once again comes alive. Access to these things is
          restored. Action is good.

          When the condition is ordinary - when people live every single day
          with no water, no electricity, no phone, no shelter from the
          elements, no protection from serious diseases, it's not often even
          discussed. Yet for the indigenous in this area of Costa Rica, living
          up in the mountains, it's everyday life, and an "everyday disaster."
          It's everyday life for most of the world's poor and very poor as
          well, regardless of where they live. And when there is no access to
          capital, and even building for the first time cannot occur, let
          alone rebuilding, there is little cause for hope for the future.

          Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying "don't help". I agree that action
          in the face of a natural disaster is good.

          I suggest that action in the face of "everyday disaster" is also
          good. Do all you can, help all you can. How can you help? As one
          option, see below.

          Action is good.

          Barry Stevens
          Co-Founder, El Puente - The Bridge
          The Bridge provides educational assistance, food assistance, and
          microloans mainly to indigenous people in the southeastern part of
          Costa Rica. Our goal is to help people help themselves to self-
          sufficiency.
          See us at http://www.elpuente-thebridge.org