4WD Vehicle wanted

  • steve_g1966
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
      I am moving with my family to CR in Mid October and am looking to buy a
      4WD vehicle. Preferably a pick up with a full front cab so all four of
      us can sit up front. While I was in town I saw the Toyota Hulx(i
      beliebve that was the name) a 4 door pick up, something along that line
      would be great. Besides going to a dealership for a new one does anyone
      have any suggestions?

      Steve
    • amphicar48
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2005
        A friend of mine who is now out looking at the same hilux is going to
        look at a brand new Kia truck it is diesel 4wd with a big double cab,
        and supposedly a more powerfull engine. With a crazy bed behind it that
        folds down. Ive only saw one drive by. But my friend was told that
        there only 18,000 brand new. He is going to find out the real deal next
        week in San Jose. The hilux double cab diesel is the most sort after
        down here.
      • monrio1
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2005
          I think you may be on the right track with the Toyota Hi-Lux diesel 4
          door.

          Toyota pickups are everywhere so the USED market is active, and the
          replacement parts and mechanics too.

          I personally would buy used, over and over again rather than new.
          New doesn't make sense to me in C.R.

          Still, I was quoted by Purdy (287-4100) over the phone $29,000 for
          the new 2006 4 door Hi-Lux.

          The extra cab 2.5TD (2 door) quote was $26,000.

          These prices seem reasonable to me, not far off the U.S. market for
          new 4x4 Toyota 4 door gasoline. Plus you get diesel.

          Toyota is more expensive than say Isuzu and at least one tico told me
          he thought Isuzu just as reliable.

          Many years ago I was told by Ticos when buying a vehicle, buy
          something that carries people. (This local wisdom has stuck with
          me.) So buy a 4 door if it is a pickup you need.
        • steve_g1966
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
            Maybe I should qualify saying I do prefer having a used vehicle and I
            just said the Hilux because that is the style I want. Though I am not
            set in buying a Toyota, a Isuzu or Mistsubishi would be fine. Also
            would people living in rural areas recomend a wench for the front of
            the truck?
          • James D. Martin
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
              --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "steve_g1966"
              <steve_g1966@y...> wrote:
              > Maybe I should qualify saying I do prefer having a used vehicle and I
              > just said the Hilux because that is the style I want. Though I am not
              > set in buying a Toyota, a Isuzu or Mistsubishi would be fine. Also
              > would people living in rural areas recomend a wench for the front of
              > the truck?

              Just my own preference- but I prefer my wenches in the back seat-

              Sorry- couldn't resist.