Los Chiles border crossing

  • Cathryn Hugger
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2005
      I can't believe I booked our tickets 4 months in advance. We are getting ancy to get going. Oh well, 2 more months to go.

      Keeping myself busy studying Spanish and learning as much as I can about CR, Nicaragua and Panama. My husband and I want to visit the Islands of Solentiname in Lake Nicaragua but it's been difficult to find good information on the area. Anybody here with experience in crossing the border, finding cheap lodgings and getting to the islands to meet the artists living there?

      Cathryn

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 26, 2005
        ihave crossed into nicaragua many times through los chiles. there is only one hotel that i know of in the town of los chiles, and i would have to dig to find the name. i have never stayed there, as we push off north as soon as we get there. there are water taxis that will take you over to san carlos, nicaragua from los chiles. from there, you would have to find a local with a boat or other water taxi for the trip out to the islands. it won't be cheap as the price of gas is high, and it's a nice little journey. sounds like a fun ADVENTURE!
        mrlee in jaco
        (now you have me)dreamin' about fishing in nicaragua (again)

        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
      • redhen10
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2005
          Catherine,

          A year ago I stayed at the hotel right across the street from the
          Migración office, and it was very nice. My 4th edition Moon Handbook
          calls it Rancho Eco Directa, but that was not the name on the sign.
          Unfortunately I can't remember the name. If you ask for directions to
          Migración, you can't miss it. From there it is maybe 200 yards to the
          muelle (dock), so it is really convenient.

          I have wanted to see the Islands of Solentiname also. Please write
          back to the list about your experiences there!

          Good luck,
          Phyllis in Orosi
        • rararooo3
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 14, 2014
            I am wanting to do my next border run,,,,,no i AM going to do my next border run from Los Chiles,Costa Rica to San Carlos,Nicaragua. Has anyone done this and has information for me or know someone that has done it with information.
            I am researching it and information is very sketchy. I am not sure what information is current and what is not. My understanding is that there is a 14 km road between the 2 towns but is worse than a bad road. Also there are various boats that will take you. And then i read that immigration will be a much different procedure.
            Now the last i heard from people that know people that know other people say there is a new bridge there that was built by Japan. eeeeeeee.....getting frustrated and confused but will for sure have an adventure in place of just another border run.
          • cathybowers46
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2014
              ENTIRE PREVIOUS PIGGYBACKED MESSAGE REMOVED. MEMBERS PLEASE REMEMBER TO
              ALWAYS DELETE THE TEXT OF THE PREVIOUS MESSAGE BEFORE SENDING YOUR REPLY.
              THANK YOU - MODERATOR
              - -

              I have to do a visa run by the 26th. and various a company that is called agua trails and they do a water visa run to Nicaragua out of La Fortuna, Monday Wednesdays and Fridays. I'm looking for somebody to go with me. if you're interested I can drive to La Fortuna if you're interested in sharing gas sharing gas
            • kateedidnt97138
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 15, 2014
                Just made this run and it is very easy.

                Step by step: When you get to Los Chiles, turn left at the Monge and follow that street to the end, around two corners and you will find yourself in the correct spot.

                Arrive 10ish Purchase (or sign up for anyway) boat ticket $14 each way (you pay return trip on the way back)

                Check into Hotel Wilson - Double $46, Single $30. You can park your car in their lot, which is gated at night.

                Go through Immigration Go down to the dock & pay Municipalidad Los Chiles your 600 colones ... this is instead of the $7 land exit tax. Boat boards around noon ... varying stories of when it boards/leaves, but two trips has the boat leaving @ 1 1 hour boat ride to San Carlos $12 for NI immigration

                Have lunch Return to immigration @ 3:30 Pay $2 to leave Board boat Return to CR Go through "customs" right across from the dock ... cursory at most.

                Walk up the street and go to immigration. They may or may not ask anything about your exit. First time, they asked nothing, this time they asked how long I would be in CR. I said my ticket was for 88 days. Got 90.

                Walk across the street to Hotel Wilson Bar & Restaurant and have a beer!