Women and crime

  • Janet Blakeley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
      Hi all,

      I think the question about ¨safety¨of women alone in Costa Rica hasn´t been answered because it really can´t be.
      It depends on where and how you live.
      I certainly think it no less safe than where I was living in the U.S.
      I feel perfectly safe as a single mother living in the hills above Grecia. I know many other single women in CR, and assume they feel safe enough to continue living here. I have traveled all over the country alone, in groups, in cars, in buses, and have had no inicidents.
      Again, perspective?
      Cheers,
      Janet

    • alexandra lancaster
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2005
        Janet is right, and I reiterate my sense of safety here. I was in a "couple" relationship most of my time here but led an independent life, mostly. The last three years, I have been alone. I travel often in taxis and there is usually some one word I use that gives me away as a gringa...if I knew what it was, I could work on it! haha.Maybe I say Purra Veeda. Yet, I always feel safe. I sleep well and safe at night, in spite of the fact, not because, the guard's house is in front of my door.
        Here come the HOWEVERS: 1) I don't, instinctively, walk on the street at night near my home in Escazu. I notice few others do, so I follow this trend.
        2) There are places in San Jose where I simply do not go. Call these the sidewalk mattress areas. I have pressed money into the hands of sleeping bums, but I do not go into these areas unaccompanied.
        3) I do not go into the huge Mercado Central alone. Heard too many stories, true or not.
        4) In the better areas of downtown San Jose, I dress down and unflashy. I save my flash for the Multiplaza, and despite what some folks think about malls, I enjoy them because the walking is smooth.......really, I am terrified walking on many of the broken, cratered, potholed SIDEWALKS here, where a fall can throw you into a chasm, believe me...........and Malls are becoming the new neighborhoods for many reasons....but one is WALKING SAFELY.

        Alexandra Lancaster
        The Wright Group Real Estate