gringo electrician, plumber, builder

  • Nathan Lapp
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2005
      Hello group,

      My wife and I are in upstate NY right now, have lived
      in CR three years. I will be returning to visit soon
      and hope to pick up a few construction related jobs,
      big or small.

      Nathan and Marcella

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Richard Vienneau
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2005
        > and hope to pick up a few construction related jobs,
        > big or small.

        If you do npot intend working for yourself then do not even try. I
        am a A Chief Engineer with a B.S. in Electrical Engineer and Marine
        Engineering. I to work for free as in very low pay.
        Sent a letter back to my mom a few weeks ago with a pay list a
        beleive I copied from amcostarica. You can epect about 3-4000
        colones a day maybe be lucky to get 6.

        I work for free at the church and did a few odd jobs. Upgradeding or
        repair work is a nightmare and not worth the effort. Most homes 120
        and with the live wire covered and a bare ground also used to
        support the wires. I did one home and someone used the bare wire to
        pass juice to an out building from a switch. good thing it was not
        raining. I put mt ladder against a metal roof and got a good jolt.
        Try and get a new carreer but, do not think you can come down here
        and make it on what will be no more than $500 a month if your lucky

        Sorry but the truth has to be said.
        Rich Vienneau
      • Silvia Hidalgo
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2005
          The opinion of a costarrican:
          Richard it very right about what he has explained, and construction here is a job for the poor, unless you have money to invest with one of the big construction companies or open one yourself. Otherwise , forget it.
          Probably making fine furniture, but we do have very good crftsmen her.e So..... not a chance for that.
          Still wish you have a good time down here. Anyways, there is always something new a gringo can come up with and make a good living.
          Silvia

        • Sharon & Dick
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2005
            Silvia, you missed the part where Nathan and his family have already lived
            here for several years. I met them when they arrived with their one
            baby...now they have three kids, including one born here. Their extended
            family lives out by Guapiles and Siquirres and they're operating and
            developing several successful businesses.

            As I wrote, but haven't seen posted yet, I know several builders,
            construction workers (not unskilled cement-shovelers...and not the
            person-of-all trades and literally master of none) most of whom are working
            and surviving and supporting families. Now massage therapists....why, I
            found one under a chayote vine in the garden this morning...right next to
            the teacher of English as a second language:)

            Sharon