An iquiring mind...goats?

  • edharold@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2005
      An above post reminded me of a question I have had for some time. I
      know much of the third world peoples rely heavily on goats for milk,
      cheese and meat. Goats can thrive in nearly any environment and on any
      food source. I notice here in Costa Rica, especially in the mountains,
      the people have little meat in their diets and milk products are a
      luxury. Vegetation of may sources thrives, yet there are no goats to
      use it. I see goats at some of the festivals so I know some exist
      here, but not to the quantity I would expect.
      Any ideas?
    • kingnerd05
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2005
        EDITED TO REMOVE PIGGYBACKED MESSAGE.. PLEASE, ALL...

        My Mom raises show goats in the states and sold some goats to Costa
        Rica in the past. The person buying the goats had to build an
        elevated building off the ground so that the goats would never touch
        the dirt. Supposedly it was because the parasites are very bad in the
        soil in Costa Rica. Keep in mind that these were expensive show goats
        though.

        A-
      • Sharon & Dick
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2005
          Well, my husband claims he's seen flying goats, so maybe they're show goats
          being kept off the ground:) We started keeping goats in '71 and have done
          from time to time. Small free-range Toggs...never any parasite
          problems. A jaguarundi got a newborn kid once. They've probably done so
          well because they neither drive on the roads nor step off curbs. Wait
          until I tell Dick that he needs to build a space colony for them...sigh.

          Sharon
        • Sharon & Dick
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2005
            It's true about the parasites, though...the kids always ran around on the
            farm without shoes (or much else)...they regularly got parasites. Good
            handwashing goes a long way...transmission in humans is usually fecal-oral,
            and I never got them. Dick and the amoebas would be another story...and an
            old one.

          • James Claire
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2005
              Hello Group Members:

              Goats can be medicated quarterly for paracites.
              This is tougher on the herdesmen than on the
              goat, or at least it was for me.

              Goats do not like wet ground and perfer a shady spot
              to chew their cud. Foot trimming is also necessary
              several times a year. They perfer to sleep on an
              elevated platform, which will usually be dryer.
              They also perfer to sleep in a sheltered area for
              the most part.

              Abcesses were a problem in California, more so
              than paracites. I was blessed not to have had
              either problem, but had friends that found the
              problem to be hard to deal with in both situations.

              Limiting the number of animals that come into the herd
              will often cut down on exposure from the outside
              sources.

              JJ