User Car Advice

  • kmchyde@racsa.co.cr
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2004
      A good friend is moving and offering me a used 4x4 Mitsubishi Montero
      for $4000 with 200,000 miles (rebuilt engine). It gets around
      15city/22hwy miles per gallon.

      I really dont need something that big and would prefer something
      cheaper and better on gas, but I trust them to not sell me a
      lemon...and that seems like a good price.

      Is it possible to get a good car, better on gas for the same money or
      less that is less miles down here? Like a honda civic?
    • Fred Morgan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 4, 2004
        Just for reference, I have a 4x4 Montero with about half that mileage that I paid $5,000 dollars for. So, yes, you can do better. Also, for those you like LandCruisers, I know someone who wants to sell a LandCruiser sports model, seems to be in very good condition and I know the motor was rebuilt just a few years ago. It is currently owned by a mechanic that I bought my Montero from. I am not sure the price, but I think about $6,000 is about right. It even has a winch in the front! It is diesel as well.

        If you are interested, contact me off list.

        So I guess the answer is, the price seems a bit high, and yes you can buy something else. A lot depends on how you plan on using the vehicle of course.

        Fred