Re: Computer Help

  • barrystevens2001
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
      --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "greencst" <greencst@y...>
      wrote:

      > It seems that my outlook express vanished Does
      > anyone have any suggestions

      I have used and continue to use Mark Adams, who resides in San
      Diego, California, but does his work over the phone, especially
      using the "Remote Assistance" option in many Windows systems. If you
      haven't used it, it allows you to let someone you trust have access
      to your computer as though he were sitting at the keyboard.

      He recently worked with my sister by phone, who is busy hugging
      trees in the rainforest in the State of Washington. She said "He
      gives good phone." Her alternative would have been a four-hour drive
      to civilization. (Kind of sounds like living in the rainforest in
      Puerto Viejo de Talamanca ;-) )

      There hasn't been a problem he couldn't solve.

      If you want to explore if he can help you, meet him on email at
      mark@...

      Barry Stevens
      Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
      750-0524
    • John French
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
        Firefox is a browser which happens to have a built in e-mail client. The
        best reason to switch to Firefox is that it is a better browser than MS
        Internet Explore. Second reason, and very important, it is less prone to
        attack by hackers.

        For a powerful e-mail client, I recommend Firefox's sister program,
        Thunderbird, although I continue to use Eudora Pro, since I paid for it and
        it is indeed excellent. When they hit me with their next hefty upgrade fee,
        I switch.

        As to your problem with the computer, finding and replacing missing DLL
        files might be the first step AFTER running a good virus check. There is no
        point in trying to replace files if you are infected. Many viruses have
        files which change your configuration every time you boot. Backing up the
        OE data files is also a must.

        Whether or not it is a virus, the best thing is to find a local PC nut and
        treat him/her right rather than mess it up yourself. (I will be moving to
        Heredia, and will eat almost anything :)

        Off and on for 25 years I have on occasion played around with learning Unix
        and its variations -- in the last decade or so, Red Hat Linux. Well, I
        decided to make a greater effort to learn, and based on a friend's strong
        recommendation, have set up a spare computer with SUSE Linux with KDE. What
        a delight. If I can learn it before senility wins, it will be my next phase
        in the ongoing battle to keep myself completely confused. It answers all
        the Micro$oft questions although it raises others (but far fewer, I think).

        SUSE Linux was recently bought by Novell, who will be keeping its open
        source status, and is committed to maintaining it. Open source is the key
        to the computer software future.

        Sorry to get off the original question, but hey.

        John French

      • markpb1
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 30, 2006
          Does anyone know a good computer repairman in or around Heredia? I
          have a Dell laptop with a hard drive that needs replacing. I have the
          new hard drive, but I am looking for someone to install it. It may be
          something I could do myself, but if there is someone good nearby and
          not too expensive, I wouldn't mind paying to have it done.

          Thanks,
          Mark
        • Bev & Paul Schmidt
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 30, 2006
            --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, "markpb1" <markpb1@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone know a good computer repairman in or around Heredia?

            Hi Mark,

            I have had quite a bit of work done and actually bought a whole new PC
            system from Deico S.A. in the Heredia mall. Great guys to work with,
            speak fairly decent English and quite knowledgable. Ask for Wallace.
            560-0316.

            Bev
            San Francisco de San Isidro
          • marcus collier
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 30, 2006
              There is a store about a mile north on Hipermas
              in Heredia..
              The owner is Jonathon and he has always been
              fair and reasonable with me. 262-3201 or 392-6688.
              He is Chinese and very nice. Tell him I gave you
              his number.
              Marcus

            • E W
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 31, 2006
                Danilo Araya is a friendly, honest computer guy who lives in Mercedes Norte
                and speaks English (more or less). He has worked in computers for several
                years -- used to maintain the server for Kimberly Clark.

                Danilo's cell: 399-2400 and home:260-1154

                Ellie