Paradise nowhere

  • Hans Austermuhle
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2000
      Sheri: Paradise does not exist. Period. No such thing. Period. Not on earth. Period. I don't know about anywhere else, haven't visited there yet.

      Nowhere is there absolute safety. Many reasons for this. Perhaps you'd care to read the following msg, which I copied and pasted from com-net-cr. (Copyright, anyone??). One of the reasons is simply "injustice and inequality". Some people are poorer than others and don't like it. If, on top of it, they have guns, then you have an "explosive" mixture. Well, some of you know my opinion on guns. I won't go into it, since it will be stirring up a wasp's nest. Additionally, if you look around the world, things aren't getting better. or safer, anywhere. Having said this, please do come to CR, Sheri and Laurie and all the others!! Kayo, do you want my parakeets? I do not like caged birds, these were given to me, so I had to keep them, but I'm not particularly attached to them...they don't even have a name (actually,they do, several : Micro and Soft, Pana and Sonic, Mitsu and Bishi, depending on the day).

      It's great to have Internet access, to keep in touch with people, like you and many others. On the other hand, when I come across msgs that go on and on for 3-4 paragraphs about bandwidth, megas this and that, one-way vs. two-way, PC satellite link vs TV cable optic whatever, etc etc etc., my eyes glaze over .I don't think I'm technically challenged, I just don't care a lot. When a new nice system is available which won't require me to connect to all sorts of stuff paying all sorts of outlandish fees, then I'll join. Long evenings??? You bet! What to do? I have a few suggestions: take care of your animals, talk to people,  take up sewing or whatever, listen to radio (for example, Radio for Peace International, out of Costa Rica, in English!) and: READ! READ! READ! (of course, "THE LITERATE CAT" will be happy to help you in this department...he he  :-)     )

      Best greetings! Elena

      This is the msg I copied and pasted: (definitely worthwhile reading):

         Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:38:35 -0600
         From: "Desmond McReynolds" <des@...>
      Subject: Dollarization & Globalization

      Dollarization and Globalization all started in the 1970's.  In those days,
      when there was a great surplus of investment cash, the bankers competed with
      one another in lending to Third World Governments.  Very often the poor
      countries did not benefit from the dollar because most of it was sent off to
      private Swiss bank accounts by the likes of Suharto and Mobutu.

       In this way the dollar soon became a world currency.  Even though the poor
      countries remained poor, they still had to search for dollars in order to
      pay interest on the loans that had disappeared into Swiss bank accounts. And
      so they became globalized and part of the dollar and world economy.   Now
      most of the Third World have huge internal and external dollar debts and
      nothing to show for them.  And there is a steady stream of interest payments
      from the poor countries finding its way back to the rich countries.  In most
      cases it is impossible to pay off the capital of these loans, (in some
      cases, as in Brazil,  the interest payments have paid off the capital sum
      several times over).  The mafia were the first to realise the value of
      "shark loans" -- the mafia never wanted to get the capital back, all they
      wanted were the interest payments -- forever.

      The poor countries compete with one another in selling coffee and bananas
      and other items to the rich countries at rock bottom prices because they
      need dollars to meet the interest payments on their loans.

      So as to keep crude oil prices low, the rich countries opened up every
      possible oil-well world-wide so as to have the poor oil-producing nations
      competing with one another for hard currency to pay off their strangling
      loans.  For years the rich countries got petroleum products at rock bottom
      prices because all the poor petroleum-producing countries had huge dollar
      debts and could never pay off the capital loan amount. Name one
      oil-producing country that is not with problems, economic or otherwise. The
      price of gasoline was so low that the rich countries were able to use it to
      raise enormous amounts in taxes.  From time to time the OPEC cartel would
      attempt to restrict the flow of crude oil so as to raise prices but without
      much success until recently.

      Costa Rica uses about 40 per cent of its budget just to pay interest on the
      internal debt alone, never mind the external debt.  This guarantees
      inflation, poverty, cheap labour and cheap exports to the rich countries.
      When the European colonialists withdrew, they were replaced by a far more
      subtle form of colonialism.

    • Kayo
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 31, 2000
        Hans,
        Thank you very much for the offer, but my wife already went out today and bought a new cage and two new parakeets. I do not have a problem with caged parakeets as they could never survive in the wild after being born and bred in captivity. Wild birds should never,never be caged. I am a real animal lover, but I really have a weakness when it comes to birds.
                                                                                                                 Kayo
      • Roy
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 31, 2000
          Oh but yes, Sheri, there is a place on Earth where there is
          no danger from violence, guns are a rare oddity, you can do
          what you want because there is no need for restrictive
          laws, it rarely rains, well it's got a lot of the
          characteristics of Paradise! Where? Central Antartica.

          Roy
        • Haymo Henry Heyder
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 31, 2000

            Hi Elena, Hi All,

            Part I:

            You are right:  paradise is nowhere, except where and when you care to have it in your mind and heart.

            I once did a documentary stint in the Maldives on tourism. There we were, shooting beautiful white sandy beaches, crystal clear waters, warm breeze, and the sun shining (almost) every day. Kitsch as kitsch can!

            The tourist Dutch honeymoon couple, who had their dream of paradise fulfilled (!), were so drunk every day that they just staggered more than walked to dinner. … and in the mornings they looked very bored. Hmmm.

            Part II:

            The techno-gab-blurb is necessary to keep the reading and sewing section of this list happier and less frustrated, while trying to connect and communicate (see my note on Sala Cuarta).

            So, hopefully you (and the other non-techies on the list) will forgive the boyz for all the dish-trash. Just tell Hans to install the stuff when it’s ready to go. Otherwise, just keep glazing over.

            Saludos,

            Haymo

          • Kayo
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
              Hans,
              On second thought, whenever I am up and around and feeling better and if you still have those birds, I will come and get them.
                                                                                                          Thanks,              Kayo
            • purecopy-can-spain
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2000
                Hi Elena and All:

                I'm having a hard time forming what I feel and would like to say about Paradise. Elena, "!Earth is Paradise!"  "!The Universe is Paradise!" I am not one for deep discussions, these two subjects, guns and paradise are definitely what you have said and I would also call a hornets nest. When I say I am not for deep discussions I am saying I listen well, I can offer kindness understanding and guidance, I take from each source that which I believe, can use and want. I keep most all the information inside, (I must be storing it for some event, or other) I believe strongly, I feel strongly (as I have told you I read a lot.) How different we all are, as a child I hated reading until in about grade 5  when I discovered the book Hiroshima. (My thoughts were, this is real? this is a true story?) Thus born my interest in reading, I do not read fiction, doesn't interest me, never has. I read Biographys, Autobiographys, History, true stories etc. etc. Back to deep discussions, I leave these up to my husband, he loves a deep discussion. Me, well if you want to discuss or debate something and I know it's going to be deep, I usually say,  I'll see you later, I've got better things to do, like, sit by the water, play with the children, play with my dogs, look at the flowers, wander in the fields or forest, look at the stars, feel the sun, feel the wind during a storm and the water from the ocean spraying in your face, breath the air, listen to the birds, watch the  horses running in the field, deer playing and jumping, ants working together, birds diving for their food, dolphins playing, watching your child or children grow and experience each new thing (My list is endless).  I have to agree, nowhere is absolutely safe not even here in Canada, but I do have to say where we live is Paradise and one of the safest places that I know of in this beautiful world. Injustice and inequality have always existed, if we all think and act long and hard enough on good thoughts and good acts perhaps we will be able to change this. When I come to Costa Rica I will be in Paradise because that is how I feel and that is how I will see it, besides that I will be travelling with my guardian angel.   Sheri