Costa Rica as a place to live

  • lisahuffmanusa
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
      My husband and I and another couple have discussed moving to Central
      America. Our friends recently visited Costa Rica and looked at
      property in the Lake Arenal area. They like the area because it's not
      as hot as the coastal areas. Could someone tell me what the average
      temperature is in the Lake Arenal area?

      I've read a lot about Panama being more affordable and oddly enough,
      having better roads than Costa Rica. I know most people love where
      they live in Costa Rica but wondered if anyone had any experience
      traveling/living in Panama v. Costa Rica. If so, what were your
      opinions of Panama v. Costa Rica. Hope I don't tick anyone off with
      this question.
    • Fred Morgan
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
        San Carlos is between 78 to 82 degrees F year round. Our elevation is about 2,500 feet. Therefore, if you are in the low lands, add about 6 degrees (if I remember correctly, add 3 degrees F for every 1,000 feet)

        I find La Fortuna pretty warm for my taste. Of course, if you have a jungle nearby then you will find things cooler from the breeze, if you are in it's path.

        Ask more questions if you want, we have a finca in the lowlands.

        Fred
        www.fincaleola.com
      • joe stastny
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2004
          I am replying off group because I don't feel like
          getting into one of the endless arguments that things
          like this can bring about. The person asking the
          question doesn't usually step on toes, but the one
          answering seems to draw a lot of fire of late. Who
          knows why.

          I can answer a few of your questions. I moved to CR
          several years ago. Santa Ana to be exact. That is west
          of San Jose and south of the airport at Alajuela. I
          had to come back to the US for medical treatment a
          year ago and will be returning in a month or so.

          In June I took a trip to Panama because some friends
          of mine who live there have been pushing me to come
          and check it out. I spent a couple of weeks in the
          Panama City area. A few quick impressions. Compared to
          the Central Valley of CR, Panama City is very hot and
          humid. In Santa Ana I needed neither furnace or A/C.
          In Panama City A/C is a must. From what I saw, the
          cost of living in Panama is probably about 20% lower.
          Costa Rican roads are pretty bad. The ones I was on in
          Panama were comparable to good roads in the US. (The
          US has some areas where the roads aren't so great
          too.) In Panama you can definitely see the US
          influence. We ran that ditch for about 100 years. CR,
          although many people speak English, isn't nearly as
          Americanized. Neither is it as modern. As I have told
          other people, Costa Rica compares to Panama about like
          The Old West compares to modern Denver. There is a
          charm about that, that I enjoy. Moving to Panama would
          not be nearly the adventure that CR has been. It would
          be more like moving to Phoenix. I can't help you on
          the temperature at Arenal. I am sure it is cooler and
          dryer than tbe San Jose area. The problem I would have
          with living there is that it is so far from anywhere.
          That is okay for awhile, but I would soon get tired of
          it. Also, old duffers like me seem to require medical
          help once in awhile and it is a lot easier to find in
          the San Jose area than around Arenal, though I
          understand there is a shaman up there who is quite
          good.

          One of the things I like most about CR is the people.
          I have made a number of Tico friends, and a few Ticas,
          and they are really nice people. Even though I know
          they can't afford it, I get calls from them to see
          when I will be returning and I also get emails on a
          regular basis from a Tica who has access to a computer
          and keeps others informed as to what I am doing. I met
          a few Panamanians while I was there and I think they
          are pretty nice also, though they have been
          "Americanized" more. Nothing wrong with that, but the
          "charm" is missing.

          Having said all that, it is really an individual
          thing. You need to first visit and second live for
          awhile in a place. Whatever you do, don't make the
          stupid mistake some people make of buying a place
          before you know the area.

          If you have any questions I might be able to help
          with, feel free to email me at the above address.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2004
            Well, I meant to reply off group and I guess you know
            why.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Ken Schillinger
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2004
              Joe,
              Just my attitude showing but I enjoyed your reply, and thought it was
              perfect for this forum. I can't imagine why you would be hesitant to give
              your honest assessment. I haven't had the chance to travel to Panama (or
              many other places for that matter) and enjoy reading a good comparative
              analysis.
              Thanks for doing so, even if you didn't intend to share.
              Ken.
              Back to lurking.
              All incoming and outgoing mail scanned using Norton Anti Virus, by the
              shores of beautiful Puget Sound.
            • Fred Morgan
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2004
                The nearest hospital around La Fortuna would I think be Ciudad Quesada. From all I have heard, it is good, and Alec had to try out the clinic - which also was good, except they liked Alec's humour, which is not a good sign.

                The biggest problem being out in the hinterlands is that you had better learn Spanish or you are going to be very lonely.

                Fred
              • Kayo
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
                  Joe,
                  That was a great reply, loved it. Perfect for this list and am sure woke up some brain matter and got people thinking about what a great list this is...right on.
                  Kayo
                  * Outgoing mail scanned by Norton Anti Virus even mail sent to people I do not like