flight time and safe driving ??

  • Kelley Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2004
      Hi, I am looking for a reality/safety check...
      My husband and I are flying into San Jose in mid December on a Tuesday afternoon about 1pm, and are planning on staying thru Sunday. We are planning on staying Tuesday night somewhere around the Escazu, Santa Ana area and visiting University for Peace Wednesday morning before moving on to La Fortuna.

      We will be renting a car and I have one major concern - - my recently graduated from college (about 22ish) femle cousin, who is fluent in Spanish will be joining us for our trip, but does not fly into San Jose until 10pm. Would it be safe and feasible for us to plan on picking her up from the airport at that time, or better for her to plan on taking a taxi to where we will be? We obviously don't mind picking her up, but would like some insight as to what might be the best option, as this is all of our first trip to CR and we will not have our bearings.

      Also, how far is it, driving time from the SJO airport to Escazu or Santa Ana?

      Thank you for all the information you share, it is much appreciated and entertaining to read. What a great group!

      Kelley

    • Fred Morgan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2004
        Just my opinion, but I would go with the Taxi. They are cheap and if she has instructions with her, pretty reliable. Picking up from the airport is not hard either - I have never picked up anyone, but I have been picked up several times by our business partner. I wonder if the parking costs might be about as much as the Taxi ride though.

        The first time I traveled to Costa Rica, I arrived at 2:00 am in the morning with a slip of paper explaining how to get to the place I was going. I made it just fine, and at the time I did not speak any Spanish, not even "Cafe con Leche, por favor", which for me is a survival skill.

        Fred

      • joe stastny
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2004
          Picking someone up at the airport is not hard. Getting
          lost between the airport and Santa Ana or Escazu in
          the dark is not hard either, if you are new in town.
          Since your cousin is fluent in Spanish she should have
          no problem taking a taxi to your hotel. I would also
          check and see if the hotel has a courtesy van.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush