Re: Where can I buy pictures to hang?

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
      Why not take an excursion into the countryside and see if you can
      rustle up some local artist? We have a really nice picture done by
      the daughter of some friends we stayed with and it has a place of
      honor in our home. The prices in the tourist areas are probably
      pretty expensive, but I suspect if you get know know some of the
      Ticos, they will have a friend /cousin who is an artist that would
      be willing to let you buy an original for roughly the same as what
      you see in the store. It is worth a shot.

      Fred
    • alexandra lancaster
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
        every Mall, most department stores, street vendors....even curbside "artists" sell tons and tons of pictures in all ranges of "good taste". Cemaco sells stuff. There are art galleries all over San Jose and in suburbs. You can even buy a picture and take it home by taxi. In Ferreterias, there are little tools called hammers, and little objects called nails (martillo, clavos), and with this you can hang these pictures. The issue of "good taste" is highly subjective....this means that what might be an attractive picture to you is bad art to another. For this reason, many people like to select their own art so they can choose giant blowups of pink kittens or Elvis Presley on velvet, or a reprint of Cezanne's apples. This entire gamut can be found in abundance in Costa Rica. Food is also sold in Costa Rica. This is found in supermarkets, but also can be purchased at small mom and pop stores called pulperias...............
      • ulitawo2000
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
          Gracias por el sarcasmo. However it was not the least bit helpful.
          I have walked through a substantial part of downtown (from the
          souvenir "mall" to Coca Cola), and checked many other places.
          Nothing like what I am looking for. Cemaco is well known to sell
          everything at absurd prices. I was looking for specifics.
        • ulitawo2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
            Thanks Fred. I agree and do plan to commission some work by one or
            more local artists. At the moment however, I am looking for
            something not ugly at dirt cheap prices since I am having a party at
            my house this weekend. The walls are currently completely barren.
          • Rayburn Corder
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
              Nice, REAL nice.

              Typical CR humor or lovable assistance?