Recycling

  • purecopy-can-spain
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 4, 2000
      Hi Haymo and Everyone:

      Recycling: The onus must be on the company that sells the bottles, jugs, cans etc. etc. etc. Here in Canada we are recycling just about everything. Paper, Cardboard, Plastic, Tin, Coke cans, Milk jugs, Juice containers (both plastic and cardboard) They all bring money, which is the incentive for people to pick them up and bring them to the recycling depot.
      I am thinking what would it take to set something like this up in Costa Rica? Why not?  Sheri

    • purecopy-can-spain
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 5, 2000
        Hi Roy and Everyone:

        Are you saying that you started a program to promote recycling? The program you have described, (stamps) where is it being done? How long has it been going? How successful is it? Are there ideas for improvement? This is a very important issue, any and all input is useful.  Sheri
      • purecopy-can-spain
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 6, 2000
          Hi Jim Q, Roy Everyone:

          Do you, or anyone else know how the Tortuguero trash centre recycling program  is making out?? It is something worth following up on to see how successful it is. The bio-digestor composting system sounds like a very good idea along with the collection of plastic bottles and tin cans.  Sheri
        • Paul Wessen
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 23, 2001
            There is a place in
            Escazu Central (San Miguel)

            >From the (only) traffic light, proceed South (up the hill) to Camacho Deposito. Then the first right and follow 100 meters to where the road seems to drop off to the right. The place is right
            there. It's usually a Mess, so you can't miss it.

            Hope this helps. ------------------------------------------ Paul

            Hans Austermuhle wrote:

            > Does anyone know if there is a place in the Escazu/StaAna area where one can drop off stuff for recycling? such as plastic (PET) bottles, paper, glass.
          • Hans Austermuhle
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 23, 2001
              Does anyone know if there is a place in the Escazu/StaAna area where one can drop off stuff for recycling? such as plastic (PET) bottles, paper, glass. In S Isidro de Heredia, we have two such
              places, the "Casa de Ancianos" and a family part of "Mision Planeta", where recycle stuff can be dropped off. They then sell it to the actual recyclers. I would appreciate any information for the
              Escazu/Sta Ana and also the San Pedro areas. Thanks!
              Elena
            • Dale Watson
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 23, 2001
                --- In CostaRicaLiving@y..., Hans Austermuhle <auster@r...> wrote:
                > Does anyone know if there is a place in the Escazu/StaAna area
                where one can drop off stuff for recycling? such as plastic (PET)
                bottles, paper, glass (snip)
                > Elena

                There is a large bin for plastic bottles outside Mas por Menos in San
                Rafael de Escazu. I have no idea where the plastic goes to, or even
                if it is ever collected - it always seems to be overflowing.
                Dale
              • Haymo Henry Heyder
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 23, 2001

                  Hi Central Valleyans,

                  My local Red Cross committee tells me that the CAI (Centro de Atención Integral) in Ciudad Colon is doing a recycling program especially for plastic, since they are badly in need of funds. The CAI is a day-care center for kids of low-income families (mostly single mothers who have to go to work).

                  Please contact Ms. Daisy Parra at 249-1382 (Spanish only!) during office hours Mo. – Fri.. The CAI is located just behind the Cruz Roja in Ciudad Colon. Turn off the main road (in direction Puriscal) through town just before the Red Cross post. It is 25 meters on your left hand side.

                  Said Sandra, of the Red Cross committee: Que Dios se lo pague.

                  Saludos,

                  Haymo

                • Avatar S.A.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 17, 2002
                    Hi All, Hi Locals,

                    Did you know that you can drop off your old phone books at any Red Cross post in your neighborhood? They will be recycled accordingly.

                    Saludos,

                    Haymo

                  • forums@jacquelinepassey.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                      Is there really no recycling program in San Jose? I'm from Seattle and I
                      feel terrible every time I throw a can, bottle, or piece of paper in the
                      trash. :(

                      Happy New Year!

                      Jacqueline Passey
                      Check out my blog! http://jacquelinepassey.blogs.com/
                      Topics: Blogs & Blogging - Books - Food & Drink - Gambling - Geekiness -
                      Love, Sex, & Attraction - Politics, Economics, & Society - Travel - ... and
                      my life.
                    • lesscranky
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <forums@j...> wrote:

                        > Is there really no recycling program in San Jose? I'm from Seattle
                        and I
                        > feel terrible every time I throw a can, bottle, or piece of paper in
                        the
                        > trash. :(

                        WHat is the connection between being from Seattle and being
                        environmentally conscious?
                      • Jon Linn
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                          >WHat is the connection between being from Seattle and being
                          >environmentally conscious?

                          I don’t know. Maybe it’s the water? I, being from the Northwest share
                          the desire to
                          protect the environment and natural resources. In Heredia, the Universidad
                          National has a recycling center. I am sure there are others.

                          Jon of the LostLinns
                        • olamoree
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                            For the past 21 years, "certificates" from the Director of Sanitation,
                            Municipality of San Jose, not withstanding, my trash/garbage/refuse
                            has NEVER been picked up in front of my property and I have never been
                            able to force them to do it, except to NOT pay for the services I
                            don't get. On the brighter side, ALL of my vegetable material goes
                            into a 5 gallon covered bucket and when full, is emptied and buried in
                            the garden togther with the weeds and trimmings...free fertilizer.
                            About once a month somebody comes by asking for newspaper, bottles,
                            plastic, etc. and they get what there is. I try to keep tincans to a
                            minimum as well as carrying my own plastic shopping bags to the
                            stores. Dry waste, unrecoverable plastic, bits of paper like MSJ
                            notifications to pay the garbage collection, a few tin cans, etc. get
                            incinerated once a month or so together will all the trash I pick up
                            on the street on Sunday mornings (so my neighbors don't laugh at me)in
                            order that for a few hours, I can look out and imagine that I am on
                            another planet where your neighbors don't throw their trash out into
                            the street and preferably in front of another neighbor! and there is
                            almost a serene beauty in seeing just the landscape without mans
                            careless contribution.... it doesn't last.... A couple times a year I
                            clean out the burned stuff and bury it. The tin cans have almost
                            disintigrated, the residual glass is smashed to bits and it takes
                            years to fill up a meter deep hole of that stuff. My smoke? Sorry, I
                            have no choice....

                            And comparing apples with bananas, in Florida, for instance,
                            "non-traditional refuse" --furniture, washers, tv's, rubble, etc. are
                            collected once a month....here, every 8 years! The street sweepers
                            leave their white trash filled bags here and there --the perfect
                            magnet for the unscrupulous and municiply-denied to dump whatever they
                            want next to them. But the problem is that when the trash truck comes
                            by, they take ONLY the white bags and leave the rest. I can show you
                            rubble, metal trimmings and tile cuttings that have been 15 years on
                            my street! "We don't do rubble" the City says.... then who does?

                            And knowing that every time I flush the toilet I am forced to
                            contaminate the rivers and the Pacific Ocean is not heartening. The
                            Ministry of Health closed down my stink-proof outhouse decades ago!

                            Go figure...

                            Ali
                          • Rice Martin
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                              Yes, the garbage situation here in CR can really be a problem, and
                              the bigger the problem gets, the more the environment suffers. Where
                              we live, there is no garbage collection at all. (I don't mean
                              Puriscal, I mean where our farm is). So we've worked out a system
                              that works fairly well.

                              First, we have three large plastic bins with tops that lock on
                              tightly. They're labeled Metal, Plastic, and Glass. They get loaded
                              to the top about 4 times a year. Whenever they're full, we take them
                              to a recycling center in Escazu.

                              Garbage, that is vegetable and fruit garbage, goes into our big
                              compost pile every day, which in turn, of course, gets used in our
                              gardens.

                              Other house waste, things like food packaging (with exceptions), food
                              scraps that we don't put into the compost such as bones, meat, fat,
                              etc., other pieces of various kinds of paper, and so on, get burned
                              in a burn barrel every couple of days.

                              Then there's the stuff that can't be recycled and which is horribly
                              polluting when burned, such as styrofoam, plastic and metal of all
                              kinds (that can't be recycled), broken glass, light bulbs, batteries
                              (ugh), etc. This we bury. We've dug a big hole, one and a half meters
                              square and three and a half meters deep out of sight of the house, of
                              course, and in an area we and the horses don't use. All this none
                              recyclable stuff gets buried there. We haven't filled it up yet in a
                              year and a half. When we do, we'll dig another hole.

                              We really attend to this religiously and hope it helps a tiny little
                              bit in the big picture and in the smaller picture of Costa Rica.

                              Martin Rice
                              Santiago de Puriscal, Costa Rica
                              http://www.rice-family.org
                            • forums@jacquelinepassey.com
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                                "WHat is the connection between being from Seattle and being environmentally
                                conscious?"

                                Heh I thought Seattle's reputation for draconian environmentally-related
                                laws was better known, perhaps it's only a legend in the Pacific Northwest.
                                Recycling is legally mandated in Seattle, it's actually illegal to put
                                recyclables in the garbage and you can be fined. They also only pick up a
                                very small amount of non-recycling garbage as part of regular garbage
                                service and the rates for anything additional above that are very steep. As
                                a result most people in Seattle have the extensive guide of what can and can
                                not be recycled taped to their fridge or pinned on their wall somewhere, and
                                can get a little obsessive/fantatical about following it. I have even seen
                                people at parties picking carelessly tossed cans or bottles out of the
                                garbage cans in other people's homes and rinsing them off and starting a
                                little recyclables pile for them. The social sin of not recycling is
                                apparently considered worse to Seattlelites than the social sin of rummaging
                                through your hosts' garbage! :)

                                It's hard to live in that kind of environment most of your life and then
                                just switch to throwing things in the trash. Plus our household goes
                                through a lot of cans and plastic bottles every day which take up a lot of
                                volume and cause us to generate what seems to me like an unreasonable number
                                of bags of garbage in a week (almost one per day). So I was hoping there
                                was someone in San Jose who would pick those up (ideal) or maybe a place we
                                could drop them off (really not preferred). If there is some sort of
                                recycling pick up / drop off in San Jose I'd love to know how we get set up
                                with that and what sort of things can be recycled. We live in the Sabana
                                Sur neighborhood if that's relevant. Pop cans and plastic bottles are the 2
                                things we have the most of.

                                Thanks.

                                Jacqueline Passey
                                Check out my blog! http://jacquelinepassey.blogs.com/
                                Topics: Blogs & Blogging - Books - Food & Drink - Gambling - Geekiness -
                                Love, Sex, & Attraction - Politics, Economics, & Society - Travel - ... and
                                my life.
                              • Joe Nienaber
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                                  Heh I thought Seattle's reputation for draconian environmentally-related

                                  Great Idea lets ship it all to Seattle!!!! (they do that stuff in every major city now)
                                • escazunews
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                                    in sabana http://www.costarricense.cr/pagina/reciclaje_sabana/

                                    PROXIMA JORNADA DE RECICLAJE:

                                    · SABADO January 14, 2006

                                    · 9.30AM – 12.30PM

                                    · Centro de ACOPIO: costado SUR de la Parroquia del Perpetuo
                                    Socorro, en Sabana Sur.

                                    · Barrio Roma; de la Pop's en Sabana Oeste, 325m al sur.
                                    in Escazu http://www.fundatamu.or.cr/
                                    http://www.fundatamu.or.cr/Folleto.pdf

                                    also they collect in several Escazu zones or you can drop your
                                    recycling good at 3 locations in Escazu
                                    1- in Trejos Montealegre park Itzkazu
                                    2- in the Park next to Mas x Menos in San Rafael de Escazu, next to
                                    Plaza ColoniAL
                                    3- ON the road from Paco to Multiplaza, from Am Pm 100 mts North

                                    Santa Ana, downtown next to the Santa Ana public Gymnasium
                                  • Russel Holt
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                                      Hi JP,
                                      Don't know nothing about San Jose, but out here in the Province of Cartago there must be some kind of recycling. The children collect Alum. cans and take them to school to be turned in for money that the school gets. Don't know the details, but do give our cans to the school kids. If it happens in Cartago, surely a big place like San Jose has some kind of program. Good luck.
                                      Russel

                                      forums@... wrote:
                                      Is there really no recycling program in San Jose?
                                    • vallarta_vicki
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 1, 2006
                                        Hmmmm - how are these off topics slams getting on the board these
                                        days?? I thought that personal attacks - especially off-topic (like
                                        sending armadillos to Seattle) weren't kosher/allowed here???

                                        I sure get the connection of what Jacqueline meant in her comment
                                        about feeling "terrible" about just throwing things out since
                                        Seattle/Washington sure has seemed to me to have been at the forefront
                                        of environmental consciousness as a city & a state overall.

                                        Being a product of the 70s & one that started numerous recyling
                                        programs in places I lived in the past (in Calif - years ago) - I
                                        SOOOO can relate to her frustration which I had when I first moved to
                                        Costa Rica 5 1/2 months ago - till I finally found a recycling center
                                        near where I live since NONE of my neighbors (predominately Tico's) at
                                        first knew of such a program. It wasn't till I finally met a
                                        gringo/from the States with similar consciousness living in the
                                        compound that I found my answer - a recycling center in Santa Ana!!!

                                        When we went there, they even told me that they'll pick up AT MY HOME
                                        on a certain day of each week if I call them in advance!!! I haven't
                                        done that yet though since I haven't been using many of the standard
                                        things (bottles, cans, paper) so I just take things there once a month.

                                        I'm not sure if the Escazu center(s) or any of the others will pick up
                                        at your home - ask - maybe they will (now, let's hope they pick it up
                                        & don't co-mingle it with the rest of the trash like I caught my trash
                                        guys doing in Florida a few times [I learned SOOOO MUCH about
                                        recycling program after turning these guys in & asking to be
                                        educated!!! WOW!!!!])!!!
                                      • escazunews
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 13, 2006

                                          GRUPO
                                          MATA REDONDA RECICLA

                                          CAMPA�A # 26:
                                          Fecha: Sבbado 14 de enero del 2006

                                          Hour: 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 md.

                                          #1 Sabana Sur: Centro de Acopio, parking lot next to the parking
                                          space of Iglesia del Perpetuo Socorro (church), or from Oficentro
                                          La Sabana next to Contralorםa General de la Repתblica 300 metros
                                          south and 100 metros west.

                                          #2 Sabana Oeste: from Pops 325 mtrs South,

                                          bring:

                                          Botellas y Envases plastic
                                          Botellas y Envases glass
                                          cans of aluminium
                                          supermaket plastic bags
                                          white paper, news paper, phone directories, magazines, etc,
                                          Car Baterםes
                                          Cartuchos de tinta de impresoras y fotocopiadoras
                                          acero como perling, tanques de agua caliente, partes de bicleta, etc.
                                          NO se recicla pyrex, espejos, hueveras, envases tetrabrik, cajas de
                                          pizza, no se recibe ningתn tipo de vidrio quebrado.

                                          for more info

                                          386-43-63 / 394-10-71 / 381-06-99 / 848-48-91 / 370-14-01 / 826-97-
                                          75 o al correo electrףnico: reciclaje_sabana@...

                                          Pבgina web: www.costarricense.cr/pagina/reciclaje_sabana/

                                          other dates 2006

                                          Febrero Campaסa #27:

                                          Sבbado 11

                                          Marzo Campaסa #28:

                                          Sבbado 11

                                          Abril Campaסa #29:

                                          Sבbado 8

                                          Mayo Campaסa #30:

                                          Sבbado 13

                                          Junio Campaסa #31:

                                          Sבbado 10

                                          Julio Campaסa #32:

                                          Sבbado 8

                                          Agosto Campaסa #33:

                                          Sבbado 12

                                          Setiembre Campaסa #34:

                                          Sבbado 16: Esta campaסa se realizarב el 3÷ Sבbado del mes debido a
                                          que estב dedicada a Clean Up the World (�A Limpiar al Mundo!).

                                          Octubre Campaסa #35:

                                          Sבbado 14

                                          Noviembre Campaסa #36:

                                          Sבbado 11

                                          Diciembre Campaסa #37:

                                          Sבbado 9
                                        • Rhonda
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 21, 2007
                                            We went to take our recycle to the usual location in SantaAna.... and
                                            it's gone. Is there anyone who can give me the new location? It has
                                            been suggested to me that it is in Pozos, but I have no idea where.
                                          • daniel
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 21, 2007
                                              santa ana
                                              their is one 500 mts west from Colegio de Santa Ana, the one in
                                              downtown has been close for a while due to healt department. This
                                              info was give by the municipality of Santa Ana `ph 2033344

                                              also you may drop off in several Escazu zones at the following
                                              1- in Trejos Montealegre park Itzkazu
                                              2- in the Park next to Mas x Menos in San Rafael de Escazu, next to
                                              Plaza Colonial
                                              3- on the road from Paco to Multiplaza, or from Am Pm 100 mts
                                              North
                                              4-Trejos Montealegre Mall just in front of Banco de Costa Rica next
                                              to Hwy
                                              5-Escazu Center in front of the Municipality

                                              http://newsletter.escazunews.com/index.php?pr=Reciclaje__Recycle

                                              regards daniel