RE: [CostaRicaLiving] Costa Rica's National Parks Need Volunteers

  • Steve Boisvert
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 30, 2004
      Dear Bob,

      Program fees pay for food, lodging, transportation, some recreational travel
      and Immersion Spanish classes. It all works out to about $50.00 per day. The
      Costa Rica National Parks are in need of volunteer support because they lack
      funding to hire additional personnel. If you were to volunteer for a
      community organization in your home town you probably would not be required
      to pay a fee but the local organization would not be required to provide
      food, lodging, Spanish Classes and other services either. Participants who
      enroll in these programs I believe receive a great value for the money they
      spend. Please feel free to contact me anytime if you have more questions.

      Thank you,
      Steve Boisvert
      Director
      Community Collaborations
      www.communitycollaborations.org
      collaborations@...
      212 208 2522 voice/fax
    • Steve Boisvert
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
        EDITED TO REMOVE PIGGY BACKED MATERIAL

        Dear Joe,

        I assure you that the Rainforest Conservation Corps is a legitimate
        organization. Please see the March 26th issue of the Tico Times on the
        community connections page for an example our work.
      • stevo10324155
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
          Costa Rica's National Park system is in crisis.

          The following excerpt was taken from the March 26th issue of the Tico
          Times;

          As the battle to protect Costa Rica's national parks continues,
          Environment and Energy Minister Carlos Manuel Rodríguez this week
          said the Environment Ministry is considering emergency measures to
          combat the problem on a national level. "We are in a state of
          emergency," Rodríguez told The Tico Times. Rodríguez said
          the
          problems facing the parks are "very, very serious." he
          warned, "several parks may have to close as early as June."

          Community Collaborations is reaching out to volunteers in the US and
          Canada to respond to this urgent situation. If you are interested in
          making a dfference in the world's most diverse ecosystem please see
          the Rainforest Conservation Corps web site at
          http://www.communitycollaborations.org/np.html

          Thank you,
          Steve Boisvert
          Director
          Community Collaborations
          212 208 2522 fax/voice
        • Bob Adams
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
            Steve,
            I must admit I'm very new to this group and to
            overseas
            living and adventure in general. So educate me if you
            must or tell me to go away and do more research, but
            are you asking me to spend between $2,000 and $3,000
            of my money to "volunteer" my services? Admittedly,
            I'm ignorant of much of this, but is this typically
            how volunteer work is conducted?
            Thanks for your patience,
            Bob
          • Martin Rice
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 31, 2004
              Actually, Bob, this is frequently how it works. For example, my wife is
              associated with a wildlife refuge between Dominical and Quepos. They have a
              program of international volunteers coming to work there for a minimum of
              two weeks at a time. The volunteers pay $400 per week, though that includes
              a home stay (very modest accommodations) at the refuge. And I know of scores
              of other organizations who depend on volunteers for their contributions of
              both work and money.

              Martin
            • Rayburn Corder
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 1 5:07 AM
                I don't know about CR's programs but in the US and most other places I have been, this would be called a scam. I have never heard of having to pay to volunteer. Hummm, a very interesting concept.

                Bob C
              • a friend
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 1 6:06 AM
                  As I read the daily comments from the CRL'rs I've begun to see an incredible pattern here. The expat / foreigner community has become a tremendous source of volunteers and donors that have been giving of themselves to causes and projects all over the country.
                  I think you are all a great bunch of folks. You make my day!

                  I'm also hoping that the government (and the people) of Costa Rica see this and realize that not all of the "Gringos" (Canadians and Europeans too) are hanging out at the bars and redlight district growing more social problems with their vices ...

                  Jo
                  in Rosario

                • joe stastny
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 1 6:17 AM
                    When someone joins a group and their first post is an
                    appeal for something and is based on last weeks
                    newspaper headlines, it is bound to raise a few
                    eyebrows, at the very least.

                    I would certainly advise anyone interested in this
                    sort of thing to thoroughly check it out, in person if
                    possible. Putting together an internet site is not all
                    that difficult.

                    I don't know anything about the most recent one of
                    these to come to our attention, but I do know that
                    even in the US, where there is considerably more
                    policing of this sort of thing, a new scam is born
                    every minute.

                    I showed the most recent one to my son. He snickered
                    and said: "It sounds like Philip". When I asked for an
                    explanation he told me that an acquaintance of his by
                    the name of Philip, makes some of his money by
                    collecting money from volunteers and then
                    disappearing. I happen to know Philip also. Everytime
                    I have ran into him he had a new way to make money
                    without working for it. I don't know that he has ever
                    held a legitimate job.

                    There are a lot of worthy causes out there that
                    deserve our help, but it is always worth a close look
                    if much money is involved.

                    Joe

                  • jere_gilles
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 30 6:47 PM
                      The fees are high, but you often get what you pay for. The more
                      expensive volunteer programs provide one with a full time person
                      back stopping the volunteer as well as language training and other
                      types of support.

                      However, if you want to deal more directly with the National Parks
                      in Costa Rica without a professional gringo intermediary, there are
                      local organizations who will place volunteers in the national parks
                      (ASVO and another one) who will charge about $12 a day to cover
                      room, board and support for the parks (minimum stay 1-2 weeks).

                      These local organizations actually are often the sub-contractors for
                      more expensive volunteer organizations. You will do exactly the
                      same kind of work as you would do with more expensive programs, but
                      you will be largely on your own. You will have to get to the parks
                      using public transport and deal with people entirely in Spanish. If
                      you want to learn Spanish, you will have to hook yourself up with a
                      Spanish school (not too difficult). Language schools are around $320
                      a week including room and board.

                      Nonetheless, if you are mature enough to put up with such
                      conditions. If you would like details, I can put you in contact
                      with these Costa Rican organizations.
                    • Fred
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 1, 2004
                        At about $12 per day, that sounds pretty fair to me. If you are
                        volunteering for something, then you are expected not to be a
                        burden. At 12 per day, if it includes food, no one is making a
                        profit, or not much of one.

                        On Finca Leola, we are not currently using volunteer labor, I have
                        thought about it before because we are doing reforestation, but the
                        locals need work and it doesn't cost a lot for farm labor. I have
                        always found it is easier to instruct someone on how to do something
                        when it is their job and you are paying them. Sometimes volunteers
                        can be wonderful, but at other times...

                        Fred