Intro and Question about importing /transplanting family pets

  • smrcka@cox.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1 9:08 AM
      Hello,

      My wife and I are moving to CR in a few months and most things are fairly clear in our
      heads. One things I'm having difficulty understanding is importing/transplanting pets. I
      find conflicting information.

      Does anyone have first hand experience bringing their pets with them on their move?

      thanks
      Chris
    • laura fudge
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9 11:57 AM
        Chris,

        If you need additional information re: transporting your pets, the Association of Costa Rican Residents can assist you - they have an on-line forum, and if you call them, they can assist you with the paperwork. I came very close to bringing my cat here, so had done the research, but she decided she wanted to stay in the U.S.

        Different airlines handle pets differently, therefore, it's worth calling the air cargo department in various airlines to see what they do. I have heard (rumor only) that United is not good, and that Continental is better. It´┐Żll be easier if you are traveling with your pets, but in any case, your paperwork has to be in order.

        Hope that helps,

        Laura