Help Wanted!!!

  • rdresslar@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 27 7:32 PM
      I was over at a new client's this evening doing a fix (easy one thank
      gawd!)for one of the all-time nicest guys I've ever met. His name is
      Amos Leighton and he asked if I knew anyone who could help him with
      part-time secretarial work on his computer. The person would need to
      know basic MS Word and have basic PC computer skills and of course,
      speak and write english. Salary is negotiable with him. He's 79 years
      old but still pretty sharp even tho he's ex-Air Force. Be nice to him
      ok?

      He gave me permission to leave his phone number and it is 441-5943.
      Oh yeah, he lives near the Hampton Inn at the airport.

      Many thanks if anyone can help him out.

      Arne Dresslar
    • Sgt Possum
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 28 12:15 AM
        Ahem...He's pretty sharp even though he's an ex Air Force... Coming
        from a Marine who is as well an Air Force Brat, that is me, I had to
        laugh (-:

        Don't know where I am going to land in CR. Setting up a non-tourist
        excursion there in Nov-Dec. Would be glad to help out to get to know
        the privileged man. Privileged because you represented him so well.

        As a retired Maitre D'Hotel I went out of my way "not" to 'get to
        know' the guests, as some of my staff was want to do. My specific
        focus was on learning their needs and wants.

        Such staff members, were unknowingly on the way out after such
        discovery by me. Imposition or pretention to get to know, use or
        abuse
        the private knowledge of guests, gained 'in the service' profession
        is
        intolerable by my decision.

        There is an uncrossable chasm between being friendly for untoward
        purpose and being friends.

        By the way there is no Ex... in Air Force (-:

        Semper Fi,

      • rdresslar@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 28 12:01 PM
          Oh yeah??? Well I'm ex-Marine as well but I only reached the lofty
          rank of E-4 cause all the rest were leaving country one way or the
          other. Delta 1/1, 0311, OP Reno, Hills 10, 55 and Charlie Ridge.

          What wuz u???

          --- In CostaRicaLiving@egroups.com, "Sgt Possum" <aiifoundation@u...>
          wrote:
          > Ahem...He's pretty sharp even though he's an ex Air Force...
          Coming
          > from a Marine who is as well an Air Force Brat, that is me, I had
          > laugh (-:
          >
          > Don't know where I am going to land in CR. Setting up a non-tourist
          > excursion there in Nov-Dec. Would be glad to help out to get to
          know
          > the privileged man. Privileged because you represented him so well.
          >
          > As a retired Maitre D'Hotel I went out of my way "not" to 'get to
          > know' the guests, as some of my staff was want to do. My specific
          > focus was on learning their needs and wants.
          >
          > Such staff members, were unknowingly on the way out after such
          > discovery by me. Imposition or pretention to get to know, use or
          > abuse
          > the private knowledge of guests, gained 'in the service' profession
          > is
          > intolerable by my decision.
          >
          > There is an uncrossable chasm between being friendly for untoward
          > purpose and being friends.
          >
          > By the way there is no Ex... in Air Force (-:
          >
          > Semper Fi,

          > --- In CostaRicaLiving@egroups.com, rdresslar@y... wrote:
          >
          > > old but still pretty sharp even tho he's ex-Air Force. Be nice to
          > him
          > > ok?
        • Sgt Possum
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 28 11:18 PM
            --- In CostaRicaLiving@egroups.com, rdresslar@y... wrote:
            > Oh yeah??? Well I'm ex-Marine as well but I only reached the lofty
            > rank of E-4 cause all the rest were leaving country one way or the
            > other. Delta 1/1, 0311, OP Reno, Hills 10, 55 and Charlie Ridge.
            >
            > What wuz u???

            What a surprise.

            We've been waiting for ya. Green star burst here. If ya don't care
            go to 1stBn1stMarines@... and post to subsribe. Lots of
            Delta
            there. Well. . .at least a few. For me, its home. 1/1 RVN 65-71
            site.

            Sgt Possum, 0311
            H&S, A 1/1
            RVN 66-67

            Regarding my post in response to yer help wanted sign I felt a sense
            of awe and respect for the gent there. Wished I were a local and
            felt
            the need to help. My intent was just venting thought processes and
            remembering the abuses of prying into the affairs of our guests by
            untoward staff members. Always turned me off. I got a little
            worried about the kind ole gent and was kinda thinking I was
            planting a seed of care reflecting your call to be nice to him was
            something that immediately concerned me up here in USA. Yours was a
            good post. Maybe I am overly cautious of blind posts open to just
            anybody to respond. Maybe not. Time will tell.
            I enjoyed it.
          • rdresslar@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 29 8:41 AM
              Well shoot!! I was with Delta 1/1 (Delta 3 Charlie to be precise) in
              1970 we worked out on and around Charlie Ridge so we probably were
              within shouting distance somewhere. You may have seen me....the tall
              skinny guy carrying the ANPRC-25 on his back.

              As far as your post, I understand your principles and respect them.
              I'm not in a position to help Amos, but if anyone can, they'd earn
              some brownie points with the man upstairs.

              Many thanks again and hope to see you down here sometime.

              Arne Dresslar

              wrote:
              > --- In CostaRicaLiving@egroups.com, rdresslar@y... wrote:
              > > Oh yeah??? Well I'm ex-Marine as well but I only reached the
              lofty
              > > rank of E-4 cause all the rest were leaving country one way or
              the
              > > other. Delta 1/1, 0311, OP Reno, Hills 10, 55 and Charlie Ridge.
              > >
              > > What wuz u???
              >
              > What a surprise.
              >
              > We've been waiting for ya. Green star burst here. If ya don't
              care
              > go to 1stBn1stMarines@e... and post to subsribe. Lots of
              > Delta
              > there. Well. . .at least a few. For me, its home. 1/1 RVN 65-71
              > site.
              >
              > Sgt Possum, 0311
              > H&S, A 1/1
              > RVN 66-67
              >
              > Regarding my post in response to yer help wanted sign I felt a
              sense
              > of awe and respect for the gent there. Wished I were a local and
              > felt
              > the need to help. My intent was just venting thought processes and
              > remembering the abuses of prying into the affairs of our guests by
              > untoward staff members. Always turned me off. I got a little
              > worried about the kind ole gent and was kinda thinking I was
              > planting a seed of care reflecting your call to be nice to him was
              > something that immediately concerned me up here in USA. Yours was
              > good post. Maybe I am overly cautious of blind posts open to just
              > anybody to respond. Maybe not. Time will tell.
              > I enjoyed it.
            • Sgt Possum
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 29 7:21 PM
                Arne,

                Anybody with a Prick 25 in RVN in 70 has my undying respect. Semper
                Fi Marine. I would go out of my way to visit you should this dream of
                living in CR come to pass. Its taking a lot of review of info and
                shuffling here stateside since I have a large young family at home
                still, i.e., five sons yet residing.

                The boys want to know if there are Boy Scout Troops in Costa Rica. I
                want to know if I can bring flower and vegetable seeds with me, as I
                harvest them in mass here and that would enrich my life there if I
                could bring them.

                Regarding Gringo Food. I have always been of the thought that if you
                know the ingredients from most canned food labels you can pretty much
                cook it close to the taste. Anyway, its has always satisfied me and
                saved us a lot of money. Me, I fall over when I can get a bowl of
                fresh stewed pintos with ham hocks, with some fresh chopped onions. A
                glass of cold buttermilk with a side of hot baked cornbread and real
                butter top it off.

                Hope we have the opportunity to cross paths. We can plan on it.
                If you can post back channel, or directly to my email we can drum up
                some mutual interests. Or we can continue on site at CostaRicaLiving
                if our posts wouldn't bore the group here.

                I'm a homebody, to spite all my experience in life and its times and
                places. Simplicity. Simplicity. Simplicity. Thats me. Or thats
                what I dream and act to be.

                Semper Fi Brother,

                Sgt Possum

                --- In CostaRicaLiving@egroups.com, rdresslar@y... wrote:
                > Well shoot!! I was with Delta 1/1 (Delta 3 Charlie to be precise) in
                > 1970 we worked out on and around Charlie Ridge so we probably were
                > within shouting distance somewhere. You may have seen me....the tall
                > skinny guy carrying the ANPRC-25 on his back.
                >
                > Arne Dresslar

                Small world isn't it?
              • Roy
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 30 3:21 AM
                  Hi Sarg Possum,

                  Someday, surely, you’ll let us know where the name came
                  from!

                  Gardening in Costa Rica is very altitude dependent. Some
                  crops will not do well at low elevations and vice versa.
                  The best place for gardening is from some 800 to 1,500
                  meters above sea level. The possible problem with bringing
                  favorite seeds with you is that some varieties of certain
                  vegetables are very day-length dependent, especially sweet
                  corn. The best things are grown by saving seed or trading,
                  etc. The seed of good tropical varieties is not available
                  in stores here. What is sold are Northern varieties from
                  the US or Europe some of which will do OK here. The many
                  tropical varieties available in Asia can not be found here.

                  A word of advice, if bringing in seed, do not attempt to do
                  it openly or legally. The cost and paperwork is incredible.
                  Always smuggle your seed. Believe it or not, this is the
                  advice given to me (unofficially) by a person working in
                  one the government’s seed inspection offices. The laws are
                  so silly when applied to small personal shipments that they
                  often become inpossible to comply with. Say you’re bring in
                  dozen coconut seed of a special variety. Fine except the
                  law insists that you must turn over 100 seed for
                  “germination tests”! So the shipment is refused entry
                  because you can’t comply! Many of the other requirements
                  are just as silly. Smuggle!

                  Roy Lent
                • Avatar S.A. / Haymo H. Heyder
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 30 9:54 AM

                    Hi Sarges and Kings, Hi All,

                    As cute or useful as it may seem to have your own, and homegrown species of your favorite horseradish or King Edward rose in you yard, there is a stern warning from a friend (biologist):

                    Do not import and proliferate species that aren’t native!

                    One example is the – here you have to forgive me, since I don’t know the English name – “chinita” (Fleißige Lieschen in German). These “sweet little flowers” are a pest by now, having taken over whole pastures, since they have no natural enemies.

                    Think twice, please!

                    Haymo

                  • Jose Castellon
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 30 11:05 AM
                      >Subject: [CostaRicaLiving] Gardening
                      >Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:54:06 -0600
                      regarding stern warning from a friend (biologist):
                      >Do not import and proliferate species that aren�t native!
                      >One example is the �chinita� (Flei�ige Lieschen in German). These �sweet
                      >little flowers� are a pest, having taken over whole pastures, since they
                      >have no natural enemies.
                      >Haymo

                      Dear Haymo,

                      First of all, thanks for the important information about "la chinita".

                      Second, I have a situation that may plague many people in their 50's years
                      of age- I am unable to read the messages written with yellow, light green,
                      and pink print. Dark colored print comes through O.K.

                      The full import of your text didn't show up until I pressed the reply button
                      and commenced to extract the message for my response.

                      Please consider using dark colors when possible. I hope this reply is
                      received well. Sincerely, Jose' Armando.

                      http://profiles.msn.com
                    • Avatar S.A. / Haymo H. Heyder
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 30 12:21 PM
                        Hola don José Armando, Hola All,

                        I am sitting here, with a clean conscience and a white vest, but writing in black all the time - I am 50+ as well.
                        Has anybody else trouble reading my messages, or do my model-T colors change in the c(o)urse of Racsa relaying them to you?

                        Please let me know. Gracias, Thank you, Dankeschön, Merci, Grazie mille, Hartelijk bedankt.

                        Haymo
                      • Sgt Possum
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 30 1:22 PM
                          --- In CostaRicaLiving@egroups.com, "Avatar S.A. / Haymo H. Heyder"
                          <heyder@r...> wrote:

                          > Do not import and proliferate species that aren't native!

                          I will not do so. Now I need to enliven my imagination by disovering
                          what native vegetables are available for planting there.

                          > Think twice, please!

                          More than that, I will adjust accordingly and look to the Costa Rican
                          way and future.

                          Thank you again Haymo.

                          Sincerely

                          Sarge
                        • rdresslar@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 30 4:52 PM
                            Sgt. Possum,

                            Got your vmail message this afternoon...sorry we weren't here to pick
                            up. Feel free to call again and we'll try to be here.

                            Hope you DO get a chance to visit...understand about the boys being a
                            responsibility.

                            Best wishes,

                            Arne

                          • sten12000@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 30 4:54 PM
                              Since I haven't seen it mentioned so far, Ed Bernhardt of San Isidro
                              de El Genreral has written an excellent (one-of-a-kind) book on
                              CR gardening. He covers virtually every fruit and vegetable that
                              is grown in the country, how to grow them, and their uses. He also
                              has a new web site full of info and things to order, including the
                              book -- www.ecotourism.co.cr.
                            • Chris Smith
                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 30 8:30 PM
                                sten12000@... wrote:

                                >Subject: Gardening
                                >
                                >Since I haven't seen it mentioned so far, Ed Bernhardt of San Isidro
                                >de El Genreral has written an excellent (one-of-a-kind) book on
                                >CR gardening. He covers virtually every fruit and vegetable that
                                >is grown in the country, how to grow them, and their uses. He also
                                >has a new web site full of info and things to order, including the
                                >book -- www.ecotourism.co.cr.

                                Couldn't find that book, but the website photo gallery was stunning.
                                Someone really knows their photography and their subject. I can't
                                wait to visit the hotspring, waterfalls, beaches and rivers pictured.
                                Some of the site navigation didn't seem to work, the magazine didn't load and
                                many of the captions were nearly unreadable as the display font was almost
                                identical in color to the yellow backgrounds. However !!! with something this
                                beautiful, that's just quibbling. I'm going to spend some hours investigating
                                this lovingly crafted website.
                                ¡Thank You! Costa Rica, indeed.

                                - chris smith
                              • Avatar S.A. / Haymo H. Heyder
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 1, 2000

                                  Dear members of CostaRicaLiving,

                                  As of Friday, September 29th 2000, we are 250 members strong!

                                  Thank you all!

                                  Haymo

                                • Denyse Cummins
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 4, 2000
                                    For the most part, gardening is only done in the rainy season. You
                                    could grow in the dry season, but the neighbors sometimes get a
                                    little
                                    grumbly about misuse of water for frivolous things. Grow all of the
                                    same crops you put in the summer garden up north...squash, beans,
                                    tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, melons. If you live at higher
                                    altitudes
                                    where the night temperatures get down into 50's-60's, you can also
                                    grow the cool season crops like cole crops, potatoes, leaf crops,
                                    onions plus all the hot weather things. Forget peaches and apples
                                    unless you're on the slopes of a volcano, really high, as you can't
                                    get enough chill to satisfy requirements. Anna is the only apple
                                    that
                                    will do anything even then and there are tricks to forcing trees into
                                    dormancy, and don't expect red color. You can grow what you're used
                                    to plus lots of other cool things like pineapples, chayote, citrus,
                                    passion fruit, bananas. Worst thing about the rainy season is
                                    getting
                                    your little seedlings pounded into the ground by rain as they come up
                                    (or washed away before they get to germinate), but lots of people cut
                                    long switches of tall grass blades to cover the beds for the first
                                    week or so until the seedlings are well up, then uncover.
                                  • purecopy-can-spain
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 6, 2000
                                      Hi Andy and Everyone:

                                      Thank you for all the gardening info. I am glad to hear about the potatoes. My husband is a true German (Meat and Potatoes man) Don't know what there is for meat in Costa Rica. (Beans, Rice, Pasta? forget it, he hates them all.) Someone said they fertilize in the coffee plantations with chicken manure, so there must be chickens available, he likes chicken. How about fish? What types are available? He's not crazy about fish but he will eat some of it. Yes, he likes fishing, but it's me that eats most of the fish he catches.   I think it will be a real problem for me to try to find something he likes. Sheri
                                    • Richard Vienneau
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 6, 2000
                                        I like chickens too. In the morning after my rooster did his thing I would walk outside and dance beside him. He did everything I did, He even danced around me after I danced around him. I named myself Dances with the Roosters. All my tico vecinos must have really been wondering about me but, what's life with out some fun , laughs , and a good rooster alarm clock.
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 12, 2001
                                          I think we have a potential garden club in the making!  Britt, you can garden organically in Costa Rica, but you need to understand a few things.
                                          Soils:  My soil tests for the pacific side  came back with very low pH (4.9 ) , low Organic matter, low phosphorous, medium calcium and I'm sure low nitrogen.  Potassium high.  All understandable.  In all that warm wetness, organic matter degrades very quickly and Nitrogen is constantly leaching away.  Your battle will be to get your pH up and keep adding organic matter.  Lime ('cal' in sp.) is organic (is just ground limestone) and will bring up your calcium and pH.  Vegetables grow best between 6 and 6.8, hard to say how much you'll need to add.  Organic matter is added with compost, manure, etc. or by covercropping nearly continuously.   Covercrops should be a locally used legume...find what the locals call a 'diversified' farmer for a recommendation for CR, otherwise plant whatever you like that will fix nitrogen and keep doing it.
                                          People plant in the rainy season.  After you plant, cover the beds with long switches of cut grass, leave in place until you lift up and notice germination, then remove all.  This will keep your seeds from washing away in the rainy season.  Dry season gardening is better if you have irrigation capabilities, since you have much fewer fungal diseases.
                                          Roy is right about lack of good seed.  You can use U.S. seed, but you'll have to trial a lot and save your seed.  Most farmers save their own seed.  Talk to your neighbors and try their varieties.  You will find Central Americans pretty limited in what they are willing to try, so they may be less thrilled with what you try to trade back, but they'll still appreciate the effort.  Plant the same crops you'd grow for summer in NC.
                                          Composting is a little different.  Be sure your pile is built correctly (right carbon to Nitrogen mix) and put lots of rough stuff on the bottom for drainage or the pile may get too wet to cook.   Coffee pulpa is a good ingredient, just add some green garden waste.   Be sure the pile is at least 5-6 ft. high.  Use the machete trick:  test for heat by plunging the machete into the pile.  As long as it's hot, leave it, when it starts to cool, turn it and/or add water in the dry season.
                                          If you can get the organic matter and pH up in the soil you'll find it not so different than NC gardening, but it will take an effort.  Good luck.
                                          Denyse in LA
                                        • Nathan Lapp
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 16, 2002
                                            Sharon,

                                            I noticed your post on a possible gardener's meeting. I'd just like you and the rest of the group to know that my my wife and I are especially interested in gardening and composting. I've been too taken up with getting settled here to pay attention to you gardeners but we don't want to miss out on your next meeting, if there was one. Count me in on the ""unschooled" idea too!!

                                            Nathan and Marcella Lapp
                                            Siquirres

                                          • Sharon Wallace & Richard Maehl
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 17, 2002
                                              No, Roy...I was at that meeting, my husband was there, Liz Howard was
                                              there, and David and Cathy were there...and you and your lovely wife...so,
                                              not counting Bill Lawrence, there were 7 of us.
                                            • Rebecca Holt
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 18, 2002
                                                Has there already been a gardening meeting?
                                                RH

                                                >From: Sharon Wallace & Richard Maehl <smwrhm@...>
                                                >To: CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com
                                                >Subject: [CostaRicaLiving] Gardening
                                                >Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:45:22 -0600
                                                >
                                                >No, Roy...I was at that meeting, my husband was there, Liz Howard was
                                                >there, and David and Cathy were there...and you and your lovely wife...so,
                                                >not counting Bill Lawrence, there were 7 of us.

                                              • rdresslar
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 30, 2002
                                                  I've been asked by a very nice elderly Gringo retiree to post a
                                                  request for someone who's interested in doing some secretarial work
                                                  for him.

                                                  Call Amos Leighton at 290-3404. Rate is negotiable.

                                                  Many thanks,

                                                  Arne