Cell phones

  • Janet Blakeley
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 27, 2003
      Hi Tom and all,

      I am reposting at the end of the current post message number 18967 which has
      the links for ICE accepted phones. There is also a link for the roaming
      service. Yes, ICE is a monopoly and your only option for service here.

      There is a proposal to lower deposit amounts, but I believe the current
      desposit remains at 25,000 colones (about $60.00). Cell phone costs vary
      with type and model, of course. A recent amcostarica article listed the GSM
      phones in the $120.00 range. I believe I paid $60 or so for my TDMA model.
      If you bring one from the U.S. bring it in the box and hang on to your
      receipt.

      My monthly base charge is $7.00. There is information on the ICE group
      page (links follow) about local and international phone call costs.

      Residents only are eligible for cell phone lines. You can also get one if
      you have a CR corporation. There are companies that will rent them, but
      someone else would have to recommend them as I don´t know of any. Recently
      La Nación reported that ICE expected to have problems with supply of new GSM
      lines beginning in December and lasting up to four months. There are lots
      of TDMA lines available.
      Janet

      Message #18967:
      Maybe this will help. These links are from two archive messages. Of course
      it
      would help to hear from someone with recent experience...please?
      The first links show accepted phones for ICE use, and the last link is
      information about the roaming service, which I understand is now in
      operation:

      Here are two ice links listing both TDMA and GSM accepted phones and some
      providers:
      http://www.grupoice.com/esp/serv/per/cel/sercli/aparatos_gsm_aceptados_ice.h
      tm

      http://www.grupoice.com/esp/serv/per/cel/sercli/aparatos_aceptados_ice.htm.

      http://www.grupoice.com/esp/serv/per/cel/serv/roaming_internacional_vm.htm

      Happy hunting

    • olamoree
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 27, 2003
        Also, I have heard rumors that it is no longer
        > possible to bring in a phone from the US, but I cannot confirm that.

        GSM1900 a la USA is NOT compatible with GSM1800 a la CR. However if
        you want to go TDMA (and I personally think the coverage is better
        still, but not the quality and features available --take your pick)
        you can get one in the US at the flea market for even $5! bring it
        with you, delcare it at customs and get it mentioned in your passport
        as part of your "bonification" --copy that page and have the receipt
        when you get to the phone guy.

        > I have been trying the
        > last couple of days to get into that site. Would you believe that
        > www.grupoice.com results in a totally blank page and that I could
        not
        > find any reference to the ICE site in Google?

        ...Totally blank, except for that little square with 3 colored
        shapes.... you need to install/reinstall your Flash ware. Go to
        www.macromedia.com and find what you need and install it.

        Ali
      • Janet Blakeley
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
          Hi all,

          Please see the section on cellphones under the FAQs on the eboard.
          http://groups.msn.com/CRLeBoard/_whatsnew.msnw
          Janet

        • Margie Davis
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 22, 2009
            A friend of mine who fixes cell phones in Santa Ana and at Terramall told me the phones with the best signal coverage are Nokia, Sony Ericsson, and HTC. Motorola has the worst coverage. I asked him because my LG has poor coverage in my area, and he said those are in the middle of the pack.

            Margie

          • Robert Williams
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2013
              I see Best Buy (online) has a Samsung Galaxy Note 4G phone (unlocked) reduced $100 in price today. It is only compatible with GSM carriers. Will this phone work in Costa Rica?

              As you can see I am not savvy in phone technology.

              Robert
            • olamoree
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 6, 2013

                Best Buy website says Out of Stock and when they DO sell it, it is on contract which means Locked.  But if you want to bring a $500 phone to CR, fine.  The requirements to work here with a CR SIM card are:  a) UNlocked, b) GSM, c) Quad-Band, altho some Tri-Bands will work if the right bands.  If this is just a visit, then you can buy one here for $20-25 and if it gets "lost" or stolen, no big deal.

                Ali

              • Jim Cottone
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7, 2013
                  Robert,

                  Ebay has better deals on "Factory Unlocked" note II. If you buy any unlocked phone that was destined for one of the U.S. carrier you will be stuck with all the bloatware they have installed on it. Best to get an International unlocked version.

                  Jim
                  --
                  Jim Cottone
                  American Professional Photographer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 8, 2013

                    Robert,

                    The GSM frequencies for this phone are GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 and I believe ICE uses frequencies 850/1900 so you shouldn't have any problem. Also note the 3G frequencies are HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 and I think Movistar uses HSDPA 850 so you may be able to get 3G coverage if you choose.

                    Arne