Changes in Costa Rica

  • CAVIAR5@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2003
      Things are definitely changing in Costa Rica. I moved to Costa Rica in July
      2001 with my then 17-year-old daughter and we have been very happy living
      there and really feeling quite safe even as a single woman with a daughter. We
      lived in very nice homes in Rohrmoser, Curridabat and Escazu during this time.
      Since December 2002, we have been living in Trejos Montealegre, which for
      those of you who do not know, is a VERY nice area of Escazu. Because of my need
      for high-speed Internet for work, I have to live in areas that offer 2-way
      cable Internet. We live in a very nice secure place that is gated and guarded
      24/7. I walk all over the neighborhood and my daughter has always felt
      comfortable walking around there, even to walk at night up to Fridays to meet friends.
      I am currently in California and she was walking up to Fridays yesterday
      around 7:30 p.m. Some guy came running up behind her, grabbed her, hit her in
      the face, pulled a knife on her and grabbed her purse. She screamed, threw her
      purse at him and ran. One of the guards (from one of the Embassy houses) came
      running, but the guy was obviously gone already. Needless to say, she was
      pretty freaked out by the whole thing and my daughter is NOT a baby, but really
      pretty tough! A guy friend of hers just recently got out of the hospital
      after being jumped by ten guys. Another friend of hers with a business here has
      hired two bodyguards.

      I'm basically a really positive person who always looks for the good in all
      situations and everything and everyone. BUT, I also think its really important
      for people to realize that as wonderful as Costa Rica is and can be, you HAVE
      to be careful and remember at all times that you are in a Third World
      (developing) country and that with the poverty, drugs and bad element (probably
      mostly from other countries), as an American or other foreigner, you ARE a target.

      This is the first time I have ever posted anything at all negative about
      Costa Rica. Of course, bad things happen anywhere, I had my own personal bad
      experience as a child living in a wonderful neighborhood in a Chicago suburb.
      But, these things ARE happening more and more often in Costa Rica, particularly
      in the areas in and surrounding San Jose. I just feel it is very important for
      people to be aware and keep their eyes wide open.

      In this case, my daughter can consider herself very lucky to maybe have a
      black eye and swollen face today and that the guy only used his hand and not his
      knife on her. She can have the locks changed on the house today, even though
      our place is gated and guarded, just to make her (and me since I am not there
      right now) feel better.

      Pam Flutie