Housewife in the Campo

  • chggrami
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
      This is a spin-off of "Life in the Campo" written by Hector's and my
      good friend, Fred, who also happens to be our business partner:)

      After I read the posts about ants and insects, I flashed back to a
      very disgusting (for me) moment in my one-year-old daughter's life.
      This is not to discourage anybody from moving to Costa Rica, however,
      do understand that this is the home of an estimated 300,000 species
      of arthropods.

      We had just finished dinner in our small, cozy house up on top of the
      hill and the sun had disappeared entirely. Hector left to Monterrey
      in the pick-up to go buy some "concentrado" (animal feed) to take to
      the farm the next day. As I was clearing the table, our two
      daughters, ages 6 and 1, were playing on the floor in the dining
      room/kitchen with some of the older sister's dolls. I knew I only
      had about 5 minutes before the younger one began to fight, so I was
      swiftly arranging the plates, pots and spoons the way I like before I
      start washing dishes.

      Suddenly, I thought that one of the fruit bats that live around our
      house had gotten trapped inside our house and was flying around. We
      have beautiful vaulted ceilings that give the cottage house a bigger
      feel inside than it looks from the outside. But, no! I gulp down a
      scream and rush my daughters into my room. The older girl looks up
      at me with fear, as she can probably read my facial expression, and I
      just tell her, "Don't worry, it's just a big bug that I'm going to
      kill so that you don't get scared."
      She is going through what I hope is a stage: if she sees anything
      moving in a room, she'll come yelling, "Mami, I'm so scared, there's
      a big bug in my room." This is why I know she cannot witness what I
      am about to attempt, kill a BIG cockroach!
      Now you probably all are familiar with some type of cockroach or
      other, but this flying insect was about the size of a yo-yo just
      elongated and with wings, maybe a little bigger than a small mouse.
      I thought, " I should just wait for Hector" as I grabbed the fly
      swatter to try to shoo the cockroach out of the house, but when it
      started flying toward me I couldn't help letting out a scream. Now I
      knew it had to die. I ran for the can of Baygon (Raid) and started
      spraying here, then there, and it wouldn't die! In fact, it became
      so irritated that I knew it was after me now and I was still
      screaming, "Die, bug!" when my older daughter came out of the room,
      my maternal instinct kicked in. "Get back in the room, Mami's gonna
      get the bug dead," I soothed her with the calmest voice I could
      manage. Finally, after half a can of bug spray (which I think was
      really for ants anyway) the bug still twitched, but lay harmless
      under the table. I opened the back door for ventilation and wondered
      to myself, "How did that bug get in if we spent hours putting screens
      on the windows of this house?" Anyway, I forgot about the cockroach
      for a minute to check on the kids and move them to their room where
      they would have other toys rather than just banging on Papi's stuff
      and taking all of Mami's clothes out of the drawers. Our older
      daughter was a bit scared so she clung to me while I convinced her to
      come with me to her room to play with her doll house. She must have
      been distracting me so much that even before I turned around to make
      sure her little sister was with us I KNEW!
      We ran to the kitchen table where the BIG, BROWN cockroach was and
      THERE SHE WAS WITH THE COCKROACH in her HAND and almost in her
      MOUTH!
      I still don't know if she was taking it out of her mouth or putting
      it into her mouth, but she sure did get a good washing after that!
    • Yerilin Smith
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
        The bug probably would not have done the harm to them that breathing all those Baygon fumes could do to their lungs.

        Be careful with a bug spray that is not subjected to rigid governmental laws that have the public safety in mind.

      • Alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
          CHggRaMI?

          That is a great bug story....these mouse sized ones are immune to
          most everything except shoes or sandals (preferably with a body of
          at least 100 lbs inside them).

          They are also quite nice if you are nice to them - quite different
          from the normal roach species. You can safely let these big
          guys/girls? go about their business and I don't think they bite.

          I believe the perp in question is in photos/bernis bugs/sammy the
          fighting roach.

          Sammy is a trained prize fighter as you can tell by his stance. He
          was trained I believe (can't be sure of this) by the little old man
          who lives "over the fence" and manufactures new bugs each month.

          If Donna is over on this board (Donna??) - I also uploaded ANOTHER
          weird preying mantiss having breakfast on the brain of a big moth
          (there is also a photo of Adam the antiss - he thinks he's an ant
          but isnt).

          Berni

          > Be careful with a bug spray that is not subjected to rigid
          governmental laws that have the public safety in mind.

          er: which government would that be.....?
        • Fred
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
            Ah Chrissy,

            I see I have competition in the story writing department! However,
            as you know, I have an advantage over you, I am always getting
            myself into scrapes! Fools rush in where angles fear to tread
            describes my life very well…

            The bugs I fear in Costa Rica are the chiggers (or whatever they are
            called there). They leave nice big welts on you if you do not
            prepare ahead. Amy and I have a plan this time, we are eating lots
            of garlic – be forewarned! It might not repel the chiggers, but it
            will probably work on the people!

            With the coming trip I should be able to restock on amusing
            anecdotes and with the publishing of the website I should actually
            have a life back. Ah, now I see the nefarious plot, you told
            everyone about the coming website so I would have to buckle down and
            finish it leaving an opening for your writings!

            All kidding aside, I am really enjoying reading about your
            experiences trying to be a housewife in the campo.

            Fred