Permanent Residency

  • Janet Blakeley
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 14 7:51 AM
      Hi Steve and all,
      I am reposting a message from Ryan Piercy of ARCR from the 4th of this month on this subject:

      Hi Paul & All,

      As of this week this is true, Pensionados & Rentistas cannot convert to Permanent as this process has been suspended, however this is not necessarily final as yet. On another note all should be aware that a large number of Pensionados never bother to convert their status anyhow.

      Ryan

    • Janet Blakeley

        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 31, 2006
          Yesterday I went to immigration for my first cedula renewal. I
          received a Residente Permanente instead of a Residente Pensionado. My
          card is also marked Libre Condicion. They also never asked for my
          bank dollars to colones letter.

          Two questions, why the changes (not that I am complaining) and how
          often does this card need to be renewed? Thanks.

          It also cost an additional $20 which is posted on the window of the
          door going in effective August 12.

          Mike
        • crhomebuilder
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 12, 2007
            Many residents who have been here a while have Cedulas de Residencia
            (libre condicion. Mine, was issued in 1994 and as far as I know, it
            allows me to work and do everything a Costa Rican citizen can do
            except vote. This cedula is a (4"x3") 13 page book that I must renew
            every five years to get a gestion extranjeria documentation stamp that
            certifies the cedula is valid for another five golden years in
            Ticolandia.

            Back in the old days, there were many of us who were convinced by some
            innovative lawyers to apply for this status. I know quite a few
            long-time residents who are living in various communities around the
            country with these old books that by now have deteriorated probably
            almost as bad as their livers.

            Recently, I have noticed a few acquaintances with plastic driver's
            license sized cards that indicate Residencia Permanente.

            In the ARCR information available at;
            http://forums.arcr.net/index.php?showtopic=992.
            It explains what this status of residency is and what requirements
            must be met to obtain this Permanent Residency status. The driver's
            license sized ID card has to be a lot more convenient than carrying
            the old beat up book around.

            Since our type of residency (libre condicion) is no longer available,
            I wonder what the process is for us old-timers to obtain the Permanent
            Residency status and get that nice small cedula card?
          • David McDuffie
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 13, 2007
              The quick answer is to either loose your book or damage it. I accidentally washed mine and my photo came off. My wife called and got an appointment for me and within three months I received my new cedula Libre Condición. Of course, they kept the old one. I don't know if the process takes longer if you loose your "green book".

            • lesscranky
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 7, 2008
                Is there a way to find out a bit in advance when it will be ready? I
                want to travel, but will have to pick up my residency in person.
              • mingo425
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 9, 2012
                  We have received approval for our Permanent Residency, however, I don't know what to do next. Does anyone know? I do know we have to deposit $123 at BCR, but where do we get the new cedulas?
                  Thanks for your help.
                • costacoffee2
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 9, 2012
                    You need to pay and get a separate receipt from the bank, in each name, then return to immigration. They will take your photos and fingerprints then they will tell you when to return to pick up your cedulas.
                  • Arnold Harrison
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 16 8:54 AM
                      This week I received my permanent residency. I used Sindy Gonzalez at ARCR, along with her assistant, Andres. I must say everything went smoothly. There was a small catch, but it was handled well, with no negative consequence at all. I highly recommend her expertise and ARCR.
                      Sincerely,
                      Arnie Harrison

                    • jrnutpaul
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 16 6:42 PM
                        --- In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, Arnold Harrison <arnoldharrison13@...> wrote:

                        > This week I received my permanent residency. I used Sindy Gonzalez at ARCR

                        Did you use them to obtain permanent residency or your residente pensionado?

                        I had thought after a few years it was a simple matter to convert to permanent.

                        Paul in Perez
                      • Mark Gill
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 21, 2014
                          I have had my Pensionado Residency for three year now.  Please tell me the procedure for applying and getting Permanent Residency.  I have one year left on my current Residency.

                          Thanks
                        • jckincy
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 22, 2014
                            Search for "Permanent Residency Steps in English".  Then look for Jorge's post followed by one of Tim McHyde's posts which contains additional info including the format for the letter in Spanish.

                            For some reason I don't see the message number on the archived messages, the nrw and "improved" Yahoo! I suppose?

                          • tmchyde
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 23, 2014
                              Do go ahead and file right away, just be aware that due to the Nicaraguan immigration amnesty they did last year, immigration is seriously backlogged. One friend filed his in August and when he inquired at la Migra this month about it with his lawyer, they found out it may take a couple years to receive his permanent residency now. His current two year temporary residency cedula is going to expire in August so he is already carrying his expediente to show that he is in process. Supposedly you can still use an expired residency cedula to enter the country even up to a year expired, or more.

                              Tim
                              Curridabat
                            • egelunddwayne
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 23, 2014
                                A friend of mine has been in the processes to get his pensionado  over this past year. He was told NOT to leave the country 3 months ago   and he was "'close"' to becoming and getting his temporary residency. Here is the issue. He has a car. He has a New York drivers license. His passport has not been stamped now for 6 months. He thinks by carrying with him the print out Migracion gave him, gives him right to drive here. I said: Who told you that??  I don't think transito police will agree. They will look and see his 90 days expired and therefore is not covered insurance wise or legally able to drive. The only thing for him he hopes 1st of April his appointment he gets a residency or pension status cedula. Good luck on that.

                                Supposedly you can still use an expired residency cedula to enter the country even up to a year expired, or more.

                                Tim
                                Curridabat
                              • Robert Williams
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 23, 2014
                                  <A friend of mine has been in the processes to get his pensionado  over this past year. He was told NOT to leave the country 3 months ago   and he was "'close"' to <becoming and getting his temporary residency. Here is the issue. He has a car. He has a New York drivers license. His passport has not been stamped now for 6 <months. <He thinks by carrying with him the print out Migracion gave him, gives him right to drive here. I said: Who told you that??  I don't think transito <police will agree. They <will look and see his 90 days expired and therefore is not covered insurance wise or legally able to drive. The only thing for him he <hopes 1st of April his appointment <he gets a residency or pension status cedula. Good luck on that.

                                  I shipped my first car over in July, 2009, but did not receive pensionado status until April, 2012. In the interim I insured the car with INS, but drove with my passport and Florida Drivers license.

                                  Someone had told my in order to apply for a Costa Rican drivers license one had to do so within the 90 period of the valid visa stamp. So, in December, 2012, I made a trip to Panama, for the specific purpose of receiving a visa stamp. Whenever I returned from Panama I first went to a doctor for a medical certification, and then to La Uruca for my drivers license.

                                  Upon entering the drivers license office I was told that the law had changed, and that since I had a new visa stamped in my passport, that I would be required to wait in excess of 90 of the date of the last visa stamp to apply for a Costa Rican drivers license. The officer was asked what I was to do in the meantime, so that I could continue to drive. He responded by saying to continue to drive with my Florida drivers license and passport, and under no circumstances if stopped show my cedula.

                                  I had to leave Costa Rica a couple more timss afterwards, but finally reached the 91 day requirement the last week in June, 2013, and went back to La Uruca and received my Costa Rican drivers license.

                                  Incidentally in addition to requiring one to be in the country in excess of 90 to apply for a drivers license, the requirement for a blood test was eliminated. It seems that the blood type on a drivers license has not relevance if one is in an accident as the medical professionals will do another test to determine blood type anyway.

                                  Robert

                                • alajuelanorth
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 23, 2014
                                    "It seems that the blood type on a drivers license has not relevance if one is in an accident as the medical professionals will do another test to determine blood type anyway."

                                    Check the color I'm guessing?
                                    Berni
                                    Costa Rica Is Always a Hoot
                                  • marcus collier
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 23, 2014
                                      > "It seems that the blood type on a drivers license has not relevance if
                                      one is in an accident as the medical professionals will do another test to determine blood type anyway."

                                      That is a good thing to do.
                                      When I was in the US Navy they had my blood type as A.
                                      It is O positive.
                                      Marcus
                                    • costacoffee2
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 24, 2014
                                        Even if he received his resolucion tomorrow and signed up for CAJA it could still take a month or two  to get an actual cedula...and then his can apply for his CR license.
                                      • Thomas E Mayer Jr
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 24, 2014
                                          No true, in January I received my Cedula in my post office mailbox exactly 8 days after spending fifteen minutes getting it in San Jose.   I think from what my lawyer told me they have streamlined the process.

                                          Tom

                                          On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 8:09 AM, <costacoffee2@...> wrote:

                                          Even if he received his resolucion tomorrow and signed up for CAJA it could still take a month or two  to get an actual cedula...and then his can apply for his CR license.

                                        • northernguy_2007
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 18, 2015
                                            I have had my cedula for over 5 years now and want to convert to Permanent Residency. I remember quit some time ago someone posted a very good explanation of the steps I have to take. I have been living here for about five years now and believe with some guidance I can do this on my own. Thank you

                                            Mark

                                          • Peter Wendell
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 18, 2015
                                              I recommend going to http://forums.arcr.net and looking around. Several people have converted to permanent residency in the last year or so and have described the process in detail. You should be able to do it on your own with no problem.

                                            • jckincy
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 18, 2015
                                                My wife and I just did this yesterday and I want to thank Tim McHyde for his post in 2013 (?) that outlined how it was done.

                                                We simply used Tim´s outline as a guide to make the cover letter, made a copy of the resolution (two sheets) and a copy of the DIMEX card (front and back). I did this for both of us on Tuesday and then on Wednesday morning we went to migración in La Uruca. First we went to the very back to the BCR branch inside of the migracion complex to pay the $200 fee for each of us and then we returned to Door 4 where because we are over 65 years and also she is handicapped we went right in without standing in the long line outside or the long line inside. At window 10 there were two people ahead of us. The man in turn took our id cards and type the info into his computer, a form (the solicitud) printed out which I signed and he stamped all the items I gave him and then another form printed out which he signed and stamped gave to me and said to come back in ninety days with this form.

                                                There is a link on their web site where you can check the status of your file;
                                                Estados de expediente http://www.migracion.go.cr/servicios_linea/estado_expediente.html

                                                http://www.migracion.go.cr/servicios_linea/estado_expediente.html

                                                Estados de expediente http://www.migracion.go.cr/servicios_linea/estado_expediente.html Estados de expediente

                                                View on www.migracion.go.cr http://www.migracion.go.cr/servicios_linea/estado_expediente.html
                                                Preview by Yahoo

                                                When we returned home it was showing the receipt of our solicitudes.

                                                I dropped my wife off at the front and then drove back about 100 meters to a parking lot. My parking stub was stamped 0824. When we left I left her near the entrance and retrieved the car and my paid ticket was stamped 0912. So, it was about one hours time and mil colones for parking. If you don´t qualify for the special line treatment you could probably add a couple of hours to that.

                                                Just put " Jorge's permanent residency application" in the search box and it will be MSG 162078 by Tim McHyde and it will have a sample letter you can copy and paste into a text editor and put all you info in the places indicated, change the address to yours and change all the dates of course to the ones that apply to you. Most of the info to fill the form is on your resolution and DIMEX id card. If you have any questions contact me at jckincy @ yahoo.com .

                                                JCK