Residency Renewal with restrictions

  • Roger Buck
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 21, 2014
      Has anyone gone through the process recently? Am I correct you know longer need proof of converting dollars?
      Thanks

    • jckincy
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 21, 2014
        The sad, sad, truth is what you need will depend on who you are dealing with and probably the day of the week. What you need as far as migración is concerned is your receipt for payment of the current month at the Caja, your letter proving your pension (if you are a pensionado), and a current passport. Oh, and $130 of course.
        If you do this at BCR make sure they get the letter because they may not ask for it, again depending who you are dealing with. They will take your photo and fingerprint (and that is what took the longest time when I was there in May at the Grecia branch). The guy was either incompetent or there was something wrong with the machine. What should have taken 10 minutes ended up being about 35 as he tried multiple fingers multiple times.
      • denverboden .
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 22, 2014
          I had EXACTLY the same experience - maybe it's the (Chinese-made??) equipment. IMHO, take everything you've got. Whenever I deal with the gov't. here, I've found that a big file and a big smile go a long way. The smile is the carrot appreciated by anyone, and the file with the headings of appropriate papers clearly visible is the big-ass stick behind it.
        • hickman01
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 22, 2014
            Regarding the pension letter (SS from the Embassy), is there a freshness requirement? In other words, how old can the letter be? The original one when applying for residency? Or must it be a new one?

            Don
          • costacoffee2
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 22, 2014
              This must be current from the SS office at US Embassy but you are required to make an appointment, not the one you used for your residency application.

            • costacoffee2
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 22, 2014
                This would depend on when you applied and what the requirements were, at that time.

              • jckincy
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 22, 2014
                  "Regarding the pension letter (SS from the Embassy), is there a freshness requirement?"

                  Generally on documents emitted outside of Costa Rica it is six (6) months and inside CR three (3) months.
                  For some things like birth and marriage certificates from the Registro Civil I believe it is only two but it has been a while since I read the regs. The great thing about getting it from the embassy here is you don't have to pay for it, nor pay for the apostille or the translation and certification, all of which takes time and could easily eat up three months plus a lot of money.

                • denverboden .
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 23, 2014
                    We get a letter from Social Security every year indicating the amount paid to us.

                    Is that only for disability, not retirement payments??
                  • hickman01
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 23, 2014
                      Ok. Thanks. I know that I shouldn't ask why so I won't. But it strikes me as a bit silly that I have to get another letter from the Embassy when the original one says it's a LIFETIME pension! Guess I'll be calling the Embassy for an appointment! Sigh.
                    • John French
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
                        If you have an on-line SSA account you can get a printed official SSA
                        letter giving your payment, etc.

                        I don't know if Migracion accepts it, but it is official.

                        John French
                      • jckincy
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
                          The only problem with that John, is it will have to be apostilled by the US State dept. and if not in Spanish translated and certified like all other docs for migración. So, the getting it from the FBU at the embassy is easier and cheaper (for now).

                        • stanhopi
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 24, 2014
                            ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <jckincy@...> wrote : The only problem with that John, is it will have to be apostilled by the US State dept. and if not in Spanish translated and certified like all other docs for migración. So, the getting it from the FBU at the embassy is easier and cheaper (for now).

                            Getting the document from the SSA Desk at the Embassy does give you a document in spanish on official SS Letterhead with an official SS embossed seal. But you will wind up with the SSA person at the Embassy changing your address to one in Costa Rica! I know becaue it has happened to me twice now.

                            Then when I haed back to Florida I immediately go to the local SS Office and change the address bak to my Tflorid address so I will continue to receive my SS mailings.

                            I have been able to access and print a Statement of Earnings Letter from the SSA website. It has the SSA Official Logo on the upper left. It is in english, however. But... I have heard that some folks have presented that document to Immigration or BCR and have had it accepted.

                            One could -if they are a member- take it to ARCR and have them tranlate it for them. I beilieve the are still offering that as a service. It might be worthwhile to inquire to Member Services at ARCR.

                            Regards,

                            Paul M.
                            ==

                          • hickman01
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 25, 2014
                              Stan,

                              So that's how my address was changed! I've always wondered how SS managed to send their paperwork to me here when I hadn't notified them of my address. And I don't mind that their silly papers get stuck into a crack in between my front gates. If I notice them before it rains, no problem. If not, I also don't mind reading soggy papers. :-)

                              Don