important medical information

  • Simon
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 13, 2014
      A friend of mine had a stroke and was taken to hospital. It turns out, he had a blood clot in the brain and is paralyzed on one side and is now undergoing therapy.

      His wife found out, too late for him, that there is one hospital in San Jose that has a medicine that if administered within 3 hours of the stroke may/would dissolve the blood clot, thereby reducing the effects of the stroke and the and shorten subsequent recovery.

      THE HOSPITAL IS CALDERON GUARIA. So if involved in such a medical issue have the ambulance take the victim directly to the hospital ASAP.

      I trust none of you will need to use this information.

      Buena Salud.
    • stanhopi
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 14, 2014
        ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <sishaw@...> wrote : . . . there is one hospital in San Jose that has a medicine that if administered within 3 hours ...
        may/would dissolve [a] blood clot, thereby reducing the effects [a] stroke and the and shorten subsequent recovery.THE HOSPITAL IS CALDERON GUARIA. So if involved in such a medical issue have the ambulance take the victim directly to the hospital ASAP.
        ====

        To add some information to that about Hósp. Calderon Guardia having clot-buster medicines:

        There is a subscription ambulance service called 'Emergencias Médicas de Costa Rica' which shows offices in 16 areas around the country. Their ambulances come furnished with needed medical equipment for advance support on the way to the hospital and medical technicians on board during the trip to hospital.

        Their contact phone is: (506) 2290-4444

        Their website is: http://www.emergenciasmedicas.net/atencion-prehospitalaria-costarica.php

        'Emergencias Médicas de Costa Rica has been in business for 19 years.
        They provide transport service to hospital when no Red Cross ambulance is available or when using a taxi is not practical.

        I have never had occasion to use this service but do know someone who has and others who would have used them if had they known about them.

        HTHPaul M.
        ==

      • alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 14, 2014
          as I mentioned offline, I can't imagine paying a subscription for a heart attack that might happen in 15 years . . . what happens if you call them for an actual emergency? Can you pay? Bernimy last ambulance ride:"He can't move.""Is he in pain?""Yes a lot, he is groaning in agony. He is not good with pain.""Is he bleeding?""No.""We will send an ambulance as soon as possible."2 1/2 hours later the first ambulance arrives.Administers morphine. Runs out of morphine.2nd ambulance arrives with more, 10 minutes later.3rd ambulance arrives 5 minutes later. We now have the entire Cruz Roja of Alajuela outside the hotel."We can't fix him here, he needs to go to hospital. So we give him more morphine for the ride"I feel no pain. Actually I feel nothing at all. Quite pleasant.They strap my dislocated shoulder in a position. Sit me in the third ambulance, sirens on and we race down the hill.Half way down the hill we hit a huge pothole at speed.Woooomph!My shoulder pops right back in place.Perfecto and I gain an entirely new view of potholes! Though I doubt it would work for a heart attack.

        • livinglifeincostarica
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 14, 2014
            I had a membership to Emergencias Médicas my first 6 years living in CR even though I was quite healthy - but - I was single & living alone, though my driveway was off THE main street over in the Escazu - it was this hidden gem & sometimes even I over shot it, I knew they always had someone that some English but the 2 MOST IMPORTANT points - I had heard stories about the Cruz Rojo "ambulances" not arriving for an hour or more, they did NOT have people speaking English usually - but ESPECIALLY - I "inspected" (if you could call it that) the Cruz Rojo "ambulances" which had hardly anything in them.They also had my history & they had STRICT instructions what hospital NOT to take me to though it was the closest (I'd known too many people that had issues there).I didn't want to take a chance because "things happen" in life & it was WELL WORTH the $17/month peace of mind-INVESTMENT I got from having this private ambulance service.(& my neighbor Simon had my account info for them also - in case. Luckily I never had to use it! Now I don't have it since I travel around doing Pet & House Sitting & I'm not within their range often).Vicki Skinnerhttp://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com
          • John French
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 14, 2014
              Okay, a contractual arrangement costs $17/month whether you use them or
              not. Then, when you do use them, you have to call and they have to have
              an ambulance ready for you.

              Question: is there a paid fee-for-service company in CR where you call
              and they actually come? I have been here for about ten years and could
              have used the service only once. (10 x 12 x 17 = $2,040 -- a lot to pay
              for one ride.)

              As an aside, when i had my sudden-onset pulmonary embolism, i called a
              cab. They were at my house in less than five minutes, and took me and my
              credit card directly to the hospital of my choice in San Jose for about
              7,000 colones.

              John French

              P.S. I spend a lot betting the INS i will have an accident. So far they
              are winning. To recoup my losses i am considering betting that i will die.
            • alajuelanorth
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 15, 2014
                Even then John, according to the best data on CRL (and well you know about that) . . . the odds of them taking you to the wrong hospital (the one without the meds) is exactly 100%. Yea yea bet on death - a sure winner.Berni"We have a reservation at the Pura Vida.""Disculpe senor, that is a problemito.""No no I have a reservation, please take me there.""There was a fire, it burned down.""I talked to Berni only yesterday.""It is not a very good hotel, you should go to the Comfort Inn, very nice. Not too far you pay only $25."10 minutes later guest arrives - in a brown Hyundai beater that looks almost red under sodium. Guest and taxista are still arguing about burned down hotels and the benefits of the Comfort Inn.