Re: drought in Central America

  • ourhouseonthehill@...
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2014
      And the really sad thing is that it takes 2,607 gallons of water to get A STEAK....
    • denverboden .
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 10, 2014
        Definitely, cutting down on the production and consumption of cattle will
        decrease the impact of drought. This also applies to the US western states,
        where there are many cattle feedlots in states already dry. Any decrease in
        cattle consumption is a plus for the environment. Plus it's a feelgood
        thing!

      • alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2014
          and how much for 18 holes of golf? Justa askin not being a golfer ya know . . . Berni

        • steveandpaulacr
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 11, 2014
            How about planting some trees - the cutting of trees is mostly responsible for the drought!

            Paula
          • sdmcglinn
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 11, 2014
              There may be some hope in the future of Costa Rica........... See this article..........

              Reforestation in Costa Rica: An Ongoing Effort

              http://news.co.cr/reforestation-in-costa-rica-an-ongoing-effort/23571/

              Before World War II, almost 75 percent of Costa Rica was covered by forest land. What happened in the next four decades was particularly damaging to the nation.
            • henry
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 12, 2014
                <<How about planting some trees - the cutting of trees is mostly responsible for the drought!>>

                much of the drought is caused by cutting of trees.  Guanacaste has had more deforestation then any other area of costa rica and it has the most problems regarding drought.  the article mentioned, addresses a few of the issues of why the trees have been cut down.   it doesn't even mention one of the major reasons forests have been cut down, especially in Guanacaste and part of the Caribbean lowlands.  that is for raising cattle who also are large consumers of water and cause of deforestation.  by not eating beef you are making an impact on helping lessen global warming and the cause of less water available in costa rica.

                I am glad the people are planting trees to help in this situation.  planting trees doesn't replace the biodiversity of a rainforest.  rainforests need to be protected as well.

                there were new international agreements to allow costa rica to export more beef to other countries.  this will only cause more deforestation which leads to more drought and rising temperatures.
                another way to combat this global warming problem of droughts is to stop consuming beef which is using large amounts of water and also destroying the environment.   cattle need very large areas to graze since most are raised on grass in costa rica.

                I have planted a few hundred trees and 250 plants on my six acres of land which at one time was used to graze cattle. now it is a secondary forest.  the amount of birdlife has increased from about 20 species of birds to about 125 species of birds that visit my property.   we can all make a difference in a positive way.
                henry

                be kind to animals, don't eat them

              • Stephen Riley
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 12, 2014
                  Henry wrote:
                  > "another way to combat this global warming problem of droughts"

                  Golbal warming will increase the rain and not be the cause droughts.
                • steveandpaulacr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 13, 2014
                    When we were hit by that massive hurricane a few years ago (can’t remember its name), the one that hung around for days and days - the Dota Valley suffered floods and devastation. The Tico Times made a report and came to visit us to see why we had no damage. My husband said, look around - we have forest (primary forest), the Dota Valley has nothing but coffee farms!

                    Paula
                  • henry
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 13, 2014
                      stephen wrote: <<Golbal warming will increase the rain and not be the cause droughts.>>

                      if you have read the impact of global warming around the world you would know that some areas of the planet will experience droughts from it and other areas more rain. unfortunately, in many areas where there are rainforests they have been experiencing a dryer climate. that is already being experienced here in costa rica in a number of areas as well as other areas of the tropics throughout south and central america.

                      in central America the drought has and is effecting el Salvador, guatamala, Honduras, Nicaragua and costa rica. many areas in these countries are experiencing drought and abnormal rainfall in large parts of each country.

                      the National Meteorological Institute (IMN) reported the Northern Zone and the Caribbean region are two areas most likely to be affected by less rainfall, for a fourth consecutive year. The IMN is expecting up to 50 percent less precipitation than the area’s average.

                      The lack of rainfall in the Caribbean since 2010 has worried IMN experts, particularly because 2013 was the driest year in that part of the country since 1995. In 2013, Caribbean precipitation decreased by 45 percent compared to 2009, the last year that registered a “normal” rainy season, IMN meteorologists said.

                      there is also drought conditions in Guanacaste and there are many crop failures and the need to sell off cattle early because of lack of water. global warming will increase rain in some areas but there will be other areas that will experience less rain causing expansive droughts.

                      henry