LED light bulbs

  • jim
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 3 5:33 AM
      Hi folks, where can you get LED light bulbs that are not super expensive, leds are very very cheap electronic componets, less than a penny, but yet the light bulbs are super expensive y many stores here mark them up even more.

      If your house only had led bulbs you could significantly reduce your ICE monthly bill.

      If ya'll see some at a good price please let us know.

      Jim

    • alajuelanorth
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 3 8:13 AM
        I bought some $5 (now $6) ones on Amazon from the "Chinese back of beyond" and so far the failure rate is about 10% within a month. My spouse doesn't agree with my math that they, though utterly unreliable, are still cheaper than anything else. Such perspective is easily gained from years in Costa Rica.

        She of course is doing some advanced extrapolation of my early data and foresees 100% failure rate in less than a year. She has a fully paid up subscription to the infamously pessimistic 1/2 Empty Quarterly Journal.

        I myself still like these crappy little lights http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATMWX4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATMWX4K/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

        They are even not ridiculously white like most LED's however she is generally right about most things so I have my fingers crossed. Of course the Amazon reviews say they all burned out within a year but who reads reviews when you NEED cheap electricity?
        Berni

      • Robert Balch
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3 8:17 AM
          Berni, I love your posts. Makes my day.

          Rob

        • stanhopi
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3 10:04 AM
            ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <bernij@...> wrote :

            I bought some $5 (now $6) ones on Amazon from the "Chinese back of beyond" and so far the failure rate is about 10% within a month. My spouse doesn't agree with my math that they, though utterly unreliable, are still cheaper than anything else. Such perspective is easily gained from years in Costa Rica.

            Berni & Gentle CRLers,

            But for the failure rate you mentioned, Berni, those LEDs do seem quite a good price. Now here's my experience so far with LEDs ( although not including several small flashlights I bought several years back, also cheaply manufactured Chinese products):

            In May I was in Office Depot in Tampa and noticed a display set up in one of the paper aisles offering LED bulbs. These were equivalent of 60W bulbs, in bright white or in soft white and with a standard sized base but the 'heads' were approximately the size of softballs. There were also floodlights offered. All these LEDs were for indoor use only.

            Then I noticed there was a sign taped onto to the display marking them all for 'closeout' at half price. The 50% price was $12.50 each and there were two each of the bright white and soft white left. That being the least expensive price I'd seen recently on LED bulbs around here, so into my cart the four of them went!

            Took 'em home and installed two of them in lamps in my living room. One is a regular desk lamp. The other is a 'two stage' torchière. They start up fine when turned on and so far I don't notice any failures of any of the component LEDs in them. They put out an appropriate amount of light but I did notice that they did seem to get about as hot as an old incandescent bulb when I happened to touch the base of one after it had been on for a few minutes. The bright white is nice and bright without being harsh. The soft white is barely on the pinkish side and emits a pleasant glow. The light these LED bulbs emit does not have any artifical cast to it, so that's a good thing.

            As to lowering one's electric bill, I've read online that LEDs are rated showing that they use about half the energy of CFLs which in turn use a little less than half the energy of an old incandescent bulb. I remember that my ICE bill went down about 30% -maybe a tad more- when I replaced all the incandescent bulbs in my Alajuela apartment with CLFs.

            At this point I can't accurately comment on these LEDs as they are still new and 'on approval' with me plus there's only two of them in my living room here in Tampa. But having seen the reduction of my ICE bill in Alajuela when the CFLs all went in I will surmise that LEDs can help to reduce your ICE bill.

            I don't have a sense of any failure rate with the LEDs as Berni experienced, but with the CFLs in Alajuela I have only replaced one in three years' time. In Tampa I have replaced two CFLs in four years' time.

            LEDs are supposed to last far longer than CFLs (assuming they are not manufactured cheaply). LEDs are also supposed to be immune to jarring and shaking, a good quality to have in an earthquake prone place like Costa Rica.

            ¬°Pura Vista!

            Paul M.
            ==

          • cahntact1
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3 1:32 PM
              Pequeno Mundo...
            • alajuelanorth
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3 3:08 PM
                You ain't seen nuthin yet! Borrowed from Woody Harrelson, Natural Born Killers "What do you have to say to your fans? You ain't seen nothing yet!"

                When it comes to reliability . . .

                3 months old:

                "Jose, the new walkway appears to be disintegrating."
                "Yes, it does."
                "How so, concrete lasts quite a long time usually?"
                "It's not the concrete, it's the laja you bought."
                "You mean the one you laid for a week or two?"
                "Yes that one. It is only supposed to be used for walls."
                "You know Stone Henge has been there for 3000 years?"
                "What is Stone Henge?"

                1 day old:

                "Jose, I see that new concrete pad you did yesterday appears to be melting in the rain?"
                "Yes I know senor."
                "Is it supposed to do that?"
                "No, I used the old concrete."

                In this case the wooden form holding the concrete block lasted longer. Now about those 400 non running Chinese police cars . . . Berni

              • James Flannigan
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3 4:20 PM
                  I found them at Pequeno Mundo for about $4 and $5 dollars depending on how many watts.

                  I put 7 of them in 4 months ago and have only had one blow and they are left on 24/7

                • gringo_ed
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3 8:02 PM
                    I've purchased bunches of LED bulbs on eBay from Chinese sellers, usually in the $3-$7 ea range.
                    Dozens on them from small 40w equiv spots to 60w equiv standard shaped bulbs to more specialized shapes for differing needs of certain locations. Failure rates have varied by type, had a higher rate on the spots than the standards. Since the initial installation of the spots in my store show window, we suffered about 15% of them failing, since then we weeded out the lemons and the spots have been doing fine, burning 24/7/365. We saw a significant drop in the kWh use the first month. Since then I replaced all the bulbs in our apartment here in the US, and our kWh usage has dropped by about 30% per month.
                    Last year I bought enough bulbs to replace all the bulbs in homes of my Tico friend's elderly parents and his Tia's. They've been pleased thusfar, as have I.
                    The initial investment has been fully reclaimed many times over in savings. In the case of the spots in our store, we saved enough in the first month to pay for the bulbs.

                  • cahntact1
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4 3:49 PM
                      Pequeno Mundo lets you test the bulbs before leaving the store. Once home I have had a very low failure rate.