Mercado Artesanias

  • mruni4ms
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2014
      I understand that the mercado artesanias has moved, due to the construction of the new Jade Museum. Does anyone know the new location? Thanks!

    • joe harrison
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2014
        If it moved, it wasn't by much.  I walked past it today; it was immediately next to the Jade Museum, on the San Pedro side, going up the hill.  I thought it was in the same place it had always been?   joe in pavas.

      • Gregory Kearney Lawson
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2014
          The arts and Crafts Market is in the same place where it has been during the last 20 years.
          I have been helping them stay where they belong.
          They have had recent problems again with the Municipality because of political pressures from the Arias Foundation because they want to move to a new location to build and underground parking for the Arias foundation next door.
          They have been there all these years with permission of the Municipality and the Legislative Assembley ( Congress), there was a Law project several years ago which was approved and going into effect until Oscar Arias vetoed it as President in 2006.
          Now the Municipality wants them out and they are not willing to throw away their small business and start over again. This is affecting approximately 90 families and they are asking for support when things get more intense.

          LIc.Gregory Kearney Lawson.
          Attorneykearney@...
        • Michael Josephy
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 31, 2014
            > I understand that the mercado artesanias has moved... Does anyone know the new location?

            Just this afternoon President Solis announced that the Mercado de
            Artesania will not be moved, despite the threats from the previous
            governments. So it remains, and will remain, at Calle 13 bis, between
            the Jade Museum and the Plaza de la Democracia.

            Michael Josephy <mjosephy@...>
          • John French
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2014
              Keep up the good work, Gregory Kearney. Don't let the government
              (whether muni or nacional) destroy what has become a national heritage.

              The Mercado Artesania and the Heredia Farmers market as well as a few
              other markets, are places no tourist should miss.

              John French
            • livinglifeincostarica
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 1, 2014
                YEAHHHH on not moving the Mercado Artesania!! That to me is a positive sign that Solis' party can not be "bullied" & is looking out for the average person!!

                John, is the Heredia feria larger than the Guadalupe one?? What days & hours is it (I MUST get there & check it out one day!!)??

                Vicki Skinner
                Living Life In Costa Rica http://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com

                http://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com

                Living Life In Costa Rica http://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com PHASE 1 of D'S MOVING BACK TO THE U.S. SALE!! MANY MANY things BRAND NEW - NEVER USED!!

                View on LivingLifeInCostaRica.... http://LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com
                Preview by Yahoo

                http://LovingYourPetHouseSitting.com

                .

              • John French
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2014
                  Never been to Guadalupe market. An article some time ago in AMCostaRica
                  said the outdoor Heredia Farmers Market (Saturday mornings) has 400
                  stalls. The market stretches for four blocks, four rows across. Friends
                  tell me Heredia is the biggest, although i think other markets are also
                  claimed to be big.

                  John French
                • Gregory Kearney Lawson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2014
                    Today the elimination of the presidential veto was published in the gazette newspaper which is where laws and other related stuff is published.
                    The help of President Solis was vital in helping the artesans and painters stay in there market. There is still more to do, which is for the Congressmen to pass the law allowing them to use that block to build and make repairs etc.