Model of Rubella in Costa Rica

  • John French
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14, 2014
      I am posting the link to a medical article on a structured model of
      Rubella infection in Costa Rica for three reasons:

      First, it is a remarkably impressive presentation of a complex
      mathematical model of epidemic dynamics (beyond my dwindling abilities);

      Second, it is a clear answer to anti-vaccination believers, who hold
      that all vaccination is bad, in that it shows the substantial reductions
      in incidence and prevalence of one disease as a result of a well-run
      national vaccination campaign spanning decades,

      And third, most importantly of our purposes, it shows that the Costa
      Rican national health system is capable of producing epidemiological
      data of high quality, sufficient to be chosen for developing a model by
      world class health researchers. (The work was funded by the Royal
      Society, Gates Foundation, Homeland Security(!!), and NIH.)

      John French
      ____________________
      Theor Popul Biol. Dec 2012; 82(4): 275–282.

      Structured models of infectious disease: inference with discrete data
      C.J.E. Metcalf, et al.
    • waybackyonder
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15, 2014
        Interesting that you posted this.  We went to Nicaragua last week crossing from Los Chiles to San Carlos by boat. At the head of the pier were health workers giving everyone a vaccination for Rubella. No question just take it.
        Now I need not worry about catching the measles.

        Sent from Samsung Mobile

      • henry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2014
          << it is a clear answer to anti-vaccination believers, who hold that all vaccination is bad, in that it shows the substantial reductions
          in incidence and prevalence of one disease as a result of a well-run national vaccination campaign spanning decades,

          it isn't clear to all of us.  some vaccinations seem to help with certain diseases.  there are also possible side effects that in some cases out way the supposed results of the vaccination.  the added chemicals in many are toxic to the body as well.

          as for the german measles, rubella, I am not sure why it is so important even in a country like costa rica.  I know everyone got the german measles aka three day measles, when I was growing up and no one had any life threatening or serious problems.  it is considered a mild virus in kids and generally lasts only three days.  there is evidence that by having some of these diseases it helps build the immune system as well.    the only significant danger is for pregnant women who acquire rubella and pass on the virus to their unborn child.

          it is up to each individual to decide for themselves what they want to do with their own bodies or their childrens.  many of us have decided to not buy into the mainstream medicine approach in cases like the vaccination for rubella.
          henry

        • Jim Cottone
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2014
            "the only significant danger is for pregnant women who acquire rubella
            and pass on the virus to their unborn child."

            That is completely false information. My older sister had a lovely
            daughter, Terry, who caught the German Measles at the age of three. She
            was devastated by the disease and wound up with severe brain damage. Her
            mental condition never progressed beyond the level of a six month old
            baby, and she finally had to be institutionalized due to increasingly
            frequent seizures. She finally passed away, at the age of 14, at the
            State Hospital in Lynchburg, VA.

            Vaccinate your children. It is very safe and could prevent tragic
            results of NOT vaccinating.

            --
            Jim Cottone
            Professional PC Repairs