Contesting parking ticket

  • arednalie
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014
      We got a parking ticket in Guadalupe.
      We live near Arenal.
      Thus we was had no knowledge of the parking system in Guadalupe.
      After getting the parking ticket, we looked for signage that would have made us aware of the need to pay for parking, but found none.
      We were not parked in a yellow zone, it was a white stripped box zone.
      We asked a store employee in front of which we were parked, who should we have known, and he had no idea.
      I would like to contest this ticket.
      Looking for other experiences here....

      Aurora
    • alajuelanorth
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014
        I hesitate to ask this semi-salient question . . . but what is the cost of the ticket? Berni

      • Michael Josephy
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014
          > > We got a parking ticket in Guadalupe.
          > I hesitate to ask this semi-salient question . . . but what is the cost of the ticket? Berni

          It's a few thousand colones. My wife says c4000. You can pay it at the
          Municipalidad de Goicoechea, a long drive from Arenal. Or dispute it
          there. I'm not sure what happens if you ignore it, but I guess the
          fine will show up eventually (with interest) on your marchamo. City
          Hall has hired a dozen or so "inspectors" to issue the tickets, and
          you can usually see them playing with their cell phones in the shade
          of a tree. I guess the fines pay their salaries. If you send me the
          money, I'll pay the fine. We live 500 m from the Muni.

          One is supposed to buy a paper ticket to pay for parking in "downtown"
          Guadalupe, where the spots are outlined in white, much like in San
          Jose. There are a few signs indicating this, but they're easy to miss.
          Usually when one parks, a cuida-cuida will appear out of thin air to
          handle the transaction.

          Michael Josephy <mjosephy@...>
        • Kerry Dressler
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014
            Tickets can be contested... but it is an involved process. I received a ticket a year ago last month, and we finally had our hearing before one of COSEVI's lawyers/judges this may. Two weeks later I was advised that I had been exonerated and no points were put on my license.

            I certainly wouldn't bother with the process for any ticket of less than 50.000 colones or if the number of points added to my license wouldn't cause other problems. We had a very clear case of miss use of the law and no other vehicle or person or injury were involved. It was a case where my passenger in the front was accused of not wearing her safety belt. And the police officer was verbally offensive, anti-foreigner, and would not let me utter a single word. The fine would have been 98,000 colones. He never showed for the interview with COSEVI's lawyer .... and that automatically gave him a 2 week suspension without pay if the officer involved does not show.

            If anyone wants to contest a ticket, they can obtain a copy of a sample document from COSEVI, or contact me privately. That is then turned in and you wait (and check your SPAM filter every day) until you receive notice of the appointment. It isn't court, it is simply you, your witness, and the officer involved, each giving a statement in private before a lawyer. He takes all the information under advisement and according to the law involved, makes his decision and you are informed by email of his decision. I believe you also have the right to contest his or her decision.

            During the period you are waiting, you can look and check that nothing has been done with your case by checking the section in Consulta Infracciones on COSEVI website. This is important, because sometimes the ticket is "accidentally" changed to reading that you have been found guilty without notice. This cannot be done without the hearing, if you filed, and they will change its category if you catch it. Otherwise you will find the fine when you pay your Marchamo. This happened in my case, they apologized and changed it back without a problem.

            It is wise to check your record for missed parking tickets, etc, from time to time. The web address is:
            http://www.csv.go.cr/web/cosevi/consulta-infracciones

            It can be done by license plate number, number of an outstanding ticket, your DIMEX or other ID, or if your care is in and S.A. by the number of your cedula juridical.
          • Michael Josephy
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014
              On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Kerry Dressler kerry@...
              [CostaRicaLiving] wrote:

              > Tickets can be contested... but it is an involved process... before one of COSEVI's lawyers/judges

              That's a ticket from the national transit police. A municipal parking
              ticket is handled at the local level. I don't know what an appeal
              process involves.

              Michael Josephy <mjosephy@...>
            • denverboden .
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014
                For your own tranquility, why not just pay the thing? You were wrong.
                Please don't sweat the small stuff! Life will eventually give you more
                important problems.

              • arednalie
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014
                  I can't say what the cost is at the moment. I know that it is not much. I realize that my time may be worth more than the money. For me, it is a principle. I make an effort to follow the law of the land. I even have my residency legal in this country.
                  If I had know that there was a fee to park, I would have paid it. The point is I can determine no way that I could have known, as I do not live in this town, it was the first time I was in this town, and there is no signage, either on the street I parked, nor at the entrance to the town to advise of a fee.
                  Several times in my native land I contested tickets successfully.
                  There was this time that I parked in front of a fire hydrant. In front of a sign that said parking permitted within this zone. When I got the parking ticket, I took a picture of the street sign and went to the municipality to contest. The officer said that though one was permitted to park there in town laws, the provincial code prohibited parking , this the ticket. I said - I am sure I am not the first person to have this experience, and the reply in essence was that I wouldn't be the last. So I chose the option of going to court.
                  On the way out of the office, I saw a sign, "signage office" and I went in there to see what it was. Thankfully, there was intelligent life inside. When I showed them the street signs, they agreed it was a "trap"
                  Shortly thereafter the street signage was changed, and I never received notice to appear in court. The ticket was less then the value of my time, but if I didn't take the time to do something, the injustice would still carry on.
                  I want to experience the routine here as well.
                  I came to this group as part of the preparation to contest.
                  I appreciate the offer to assist in the payment, it might yet come to that if I can't find the official process on how to contest town parking tickets.
                  Thanks, Aurora

                • arednalie
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 13, 2014
                    On Another occasion , my father was dying in the hospital. All the surrounding streets had a system of alternate parking each side each 15 days, and only three hour parking Monday to Friday. So when I was there on a Saturday over night I didn't concern myself to move the car each three hours as I general did.
                    When I got the ticket, I contested. I was told that it was a municipality law governing the entire city, with signs posted at the entrances to the city. And sure enough there were, EXCEPT at the entrance to the city via the highway, which happened to be the one I used.
                    When I called the clerk back and explained this find, she cancelled my ticket, and I was careful not to do the same again.
                    Again, ticket less value than my time, but I felt better that I had done something.
                    Aurora

                  • Michael Connolly
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 14, 2014
                      You want to "experience the routine here as well"?

                      You have a colorful history with parking issues! However, you have LEFT
                      the neat and orderly processes of the good ole US of A, and have entered
                      Ticoland, where "routine" is probably not a commonly used description - but
                      you should already understand that!

                      My advice, with all due respect and kindness: Chill out and choose your
                      battles! Also, might be less stressful on you if you started taking the
                      bus!

                      --
                      *"don Miguel"*
                      *Michael Connolly*

                      *I have found that if you love life, life will love you back! - Arthur
                      Rubinstein*

                    • denverboden .
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 14, 2014
                        OK, I appreciate your concern for principles over an easy, stress-free
                        life. I hope you find the experience educational, as I'm sure it will be.
                        My concern was only for your peace of mind, and I hope that once you learn
                        some of these things you desire, you will have a contented life here. Best
                        of luck, and feel free to contact me privately if you wish.

                      • John French
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 14, 2014
                          This is not the United States, Dorothy.

                          In the US, if you have a technicality, you can go to court and might
                          avoid paying a ticket. In Costa Rica (CR), you could die of old age
                          before the thing is settled, use untold gallons of gas to drive to
                          hearings, spend enormous amounts of money, and most importantly, confirm
                          the worst views of gringos held by Ticos.

                          In the US, the concept of Guachiman is unheard of. In Peru, a movie was
                          made about one of them (el Guachiman). Essentially guachimen take on a
                          self-appointed job in CR, guarding your car. Most do a good job. Get to
                          know them. And tip them.

                          So here are a few rules learned from experience:
                          1. Do not park on public streets. Use parking lots.
                          2. If not #1, look for a guachiman, and ask him to watch your car.
                          3. If there is no guachiman in sight, ask at the nearest store where you
                          can buy a boleta for parking, buy it, and place it inside the car on the
                          windshield.
                          4. If not #3, and you still want to park there, accept the consequences.
                          4a. The consequences can be:
                          4a1: Nothing.
                          4a2: Your car is broken into and your
                          rocking-head-chihuahua-dashboard-statue is stolen.
                          4a3: You get a parking ticket.

                          If 4a3, pay it.

                          All in fun,
                          John French
                        • alajuelanorth
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 14, 2014
                            Hola Aurora
                            Such satisfaction is completely impossible here.
                            But I do not believe in the impossible.
                            Well I did not believe in the impossible until about 200 things happened to me . . . that were all of course impossible.
                            Now I am a believer.

                            I could explain by listing all 200 or the 1000 that happened since.
                            But here is just one I enjoyed the most.

                            The local Alajuela ICE office - 2nd or 3rd largest town in Costa Rica depending on who is counting - once decided to install a queuing system a few years back. All the chairs were facing the agents at their desks.

                            The screen with the "who's up next" however was newly installed facing a wall and not visible to the customers. To see if it was your turn you had to stand up and walk around.

                            Laughed my ass off,
                            Berni
                            (recommended therapy in such situations)

                            The first experience was 4 days into the country filling a form and opening a bank account.
                            "Senor please put your address on this line."
                            "But my address does not fit, you need 2 or 3 lines."
                            "Senor I need your address."
                            "Will you use it for anything?"
                            "No."
                            "Excellent so I can write anything I like?"
                            My wife gave me a hefty boot under the desk.
                            Laughed our asses off.

                            Got a parking ticket once outside of Jalapenos Central.
                            Norman talked too much so I got distracted.
                            Norman refused to let me pay the ticket.
                            Laughed our asses off.

                            If anyone else "laughed their asses off" you can be in my next chapter "CHAPTER 43 GRINGOS LAUGHING THEIR ASSES OFF" - post here things you found too funny to take seriously - I'll repost the chapter here :-)