Social Security Information @ the Embassy?

  • Charlene
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 10, 2014
      Where or or would one call to get some information about SS while living here in Costa Rica?
      Thank you in advance

      Do you REALLY want to learn Spanish?
      http://www.skypespanish.com

    • Jim Cottone
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 10, 2014
        For Social Security issues you need to call 2519 2228 to make an
        appointment at the U.S. Embassy.

        --
        Jim Cottone
        Professional PC Repairs

      • Brian Hogue
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 11, 2014
          I called the embassy number for two days and got the recording to send an e mail.
          Then I went to the embassy in person and they told me to make an appointment by phone only.
          I will keep trying.

          Brian L. Hogue
          8842-5505

        • denverboden .
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11, 2014
            Call the Embassy for an appointment to transfer your payments to a bank
            here. It's very easy!

          • jckincy
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 11, 2014
              You can make the appointment via email. I did so in March. They just about will not let you in the building without an appointment anymore.

            • alajuelanorth
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 11, 2014
                They just recently made some hires from BN or BCR? Berni

              • Robert Williams
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 11, 2014
                  Granted, rules change, but I did NOT have to go to the Embassy whenever I opened an account with BCR in whereby my Social Security benefit began to be deposited monthly. This was in February, 2011.

                  The day before I opened the account, however, I went to the BCR branch in La Uruca. The person I talked to said I would need verification from the Embassy. The next day I went to the BCR branch in Grecia. I had sufficient documentation with me for them to open the account, and have the Social Security benefit deposited monthly, rather than my US bank.

                  The documentation taken to BCR were copies my income tax returns for the previous two years. Attached to these returns was a copy of the Form 1099 from the Social Security Administration. This was sufficient for the bank, and my Social Security benefit was deposited on the 3rd day of the next month.

                  Like clockwork the deposit has been made the 3rd day of each month since, excepting whenever the 3rd has been on a weekend. Then the benefit has always been deposited the preceding Friday.

                  Robert

                  On Friday, July 11, 2014 1:08 PM, "bernij@... [CostaRicaLiving]" <CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  They just recently made some hires from BN or BCR? Berni

                • cahntact1
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 12, 2014
                    Our tax dollars at work ( or maybe not...)

                    "The more that is given, the less people will work for themselves, and the less they work, the more their poverty will increase."
                    -- Leo Tolstoy