How much is an MRI?

  • davidencr
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 7, 2014
      I have never had back problems but for the last four months I have had pain radiating from my lower back into one leg and foot. It sounds like a siatic problem.

      I have Caja and they have given me a referral but who knows when the actual appointment will be. Has anyone had a MRI here (to see if it is a problem with a disc) and how much did it cost?

    • Hap Cr
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 7, 2014
        To give my 2 cents in the matter I would go to a chiropractor first and if only very very necessary a MRI MRI is a very hard X-ray that give out a lot of radiation and stress on you anyway that is just my thought
      • pookiep36
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 7, 2014
          ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <hapcr2014@...> wrote :

          ...I MRI is a very hard X-ray that give out a lot of radiation and stress on you anyway

          Utter nonsense. There is no radiation in an MRI. And, unless you're claustrophobic, there is no stress. Even then, nothing that can't be remedied with a nice, fat Valium.

          I love MRIs,
          Pookie

        • Robert Williams
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 7, 2014
            I agree with Pookie. A MRI is painless, and actually safer than an x-ray. As mentioned by Pookie if one is claustrophobic some MRI's might be annoying.

            I've had two MRI's in the past, one for each shoulder, and would not object to another if needed for any reason. But these were done before moving to Costa Rica.

            As far as cost, that will be interesting to learn how much one costs in Costa Rica, though all MRI's may not performed equally. A MRI for the entire back or spinal column, for instance, might be more comprehensive than a MRI for a shoulder, thus the cost most likely be more.

          • cahntact1
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
              X-rays?  What?  I suggest who ever wrote that learn the definition of MRI!

              Just in case the person that wrote that is unable to google it, I have included a short definition....

              Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (NMRI), or magnetic resonance tomography (MRT) is a medical imaging technique used in radiology to investigate the anatomy and function of the body in both health and disease. MRI scanners use strong magnetic fields and radiowaves to form images of the body. The technique is widely used in hospitals for medical diagnosis, staging of disease and for follow-up without exposure to ionizing radiation

              "The more that is given, the less people will work for themselves, and the less they work, the more their poverty will increase."
              -- Leo Tolstoy

            • Jim Cottone
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                "MRI is a very hard X-ray that give out a lot of radiation"

                MRI is NOT anything like an X-Ray. Maybe you're concerned about the
                long-term impact of having all your atoms mixed about, but once you're
                out of the magnetic field, your body and its chemistry return to normal.
                There are no known biological hazards to humans from being exposed to
                magnetic fields of the strength used in medical imaging today. The fact
                that MRI systems don't use ionizing radiation, as other imaging devices
                do, is a comfort to many patients, as is the fact that MRI contrast
                materials have a very low incidence of side effects.

                Jim

                --
                Jim Cottone
                Professional PC Repairs

              • Sandra Livingston
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                  Chiropractor first, massage therapist and natural anti-inflammatories,
                  tumeric root.
                  MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging, no radiation involved. It is
                  very safe and provides some of the most precise imaging available. After
                  being in the medical field for 40 years, I feel that if the insurance
                  companies would buck up and pay the fee for an MRI first, patients, people,

                  humans, could avoid all the stress of waiting for test results only to be
                  told they they need yet another radiation test and and other test and
                  finally an MRI!!!! This really burns me as a woman being required to have
                  yearly mammograms, talk about radiation, then needing an ultrasound with
                  needle biopsy, only to be told, "just to be sure, we need to do an MRI."
                  Aaaarrrgggghhhh!!!

                  www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/*mri*/basics/definition/prc-20012903
                  On Jul 7, 2014 9:46 PM, "Hap Cr hapcr2014@... [CostaRicaLiving]" <
                  CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  > To give my 2 cents in the matter I would go to a chiropractor first and if
                  > only very very necessary a MRI MRI is a very hard X-ray that give out a lot
                  > of radiation and stress on you anyway that is just my thought

                • Kerry Dressler
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                    I had two MRI's done at Clinica Biblica a few years ago. They aren't cheap, but aren't nearly as expensive as in the USA. Also, my insurance from the US completely reimbursed me.

                    They have a website: http://www.clinicabiblica.com/index.php/es/ and you can talk to them by phone or online. There is also a page where you can get a quote for services.

                    http://www.clinicabiblica.com/index.php/es/serviciosenlinea/cotizaciones

                    Their equipment is up to date and everything was done very professionally. Any price I could give you would be outdated... but I vaguely remember about $650.
                  • Robert Williams
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                      Someone wrote:
                      <Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), nuclear magnetic resonance imaging (NMRI), or magnetic resonance tomography (MRT) is a medical imaging technique used <in radiology to investigate the anatomy and function of the body in both health and disease. MRI scanners use strong magnetic fields and radiowaves to form images of <the body. The technique is widely used in hospitals for medical diagnosis, staging of disease and for follow-up without exposure to ionizing radiation.

                      That definition was taken from Wikipedia. The following is an explanation from WebMD which more accurately describes the benefit(s) of a MRI.

                      Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a test that uses a magnetic field and pulses of radio wave energy to make pictures of organs and structures inside the body. In many cases MRI gives different information about structures in the body than can be seen with an X-ray, ultrasound, or computed tomography (CT) scan. MRI also may show problems that cannot be seen with other imaging methods.

                    • Hap Cr
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                        Thanks for the info I went into MRI for
                        Safety and found this info online:

                        The presence of metal in your body may be a safety hazard or affect a portion of the MRI image. Before receiving an MRI, tell the technologist if you have any metal or electronic devices in your body, such as:

                        Metallic joint prostheses
                        Artificial heart valves
                        An implantable heart defibrillator
                        A pacemaker
                        Metal clips
                        Cochlear implants
                        A bullet, shrapnel or any other type of metal fragment
                        Before you schedule an MRI, tell your doctor if you think you're pregnant. The effects of magnetic fields on fetuses aren't well understood. Your doctor may recommend choosing an alternative exam or postponing the MRI.

                        It's also important to discuss any kidney or liver problems with your doctor and the technologist, because problems with these organs may limit the use of injected contrast agents during your scan.

                      • Hap Cr

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                              david,
                              I am not a doctor but it sounds like it is sciatica.  I would say the chances are 99%.  most mainstream treatment is about killing the pain with meds but not about curing the problem.  I had it about 16 years ago.  I went to a chiropractor for 8 treatments, which included some form of kinesiology.  it got rid of my sciatica.  I recommend an alternative to what most doctors will suggest.
                              henry

                            • jckincy
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                                A MRI is not necessarily safer than a CT scan. My cardiologist sent me for a MRI to look at my kidney arteries but radiology dept. would not do the MRI because I have numerous shotgun pellets in my head. So they did a CT scan instead. When I told the doc I could not get the MRI he said it was OK because the CT scan was better than a MRI but you get radiation. Numerous Xrays, CT scans, nuclear medicine scans and fluoroscopes have not kept me from reaching seventy years. In fact they are one of the reasons that I have made it this far. If I had eaten two bananas a day for life I would have received more Beq's than from all the radiation received in hospitals.

                                Do digital Xrays expose one to less rad's then film ones? My Costa Rica dentist uses them but of course the Caja does not. My CR cardiologist says that the Caja is at least ten years behind the US so maybe if I make eighty the Caja will have them?

                              • hippieforever3
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                                  15 answers and no one answered the cost question.

                                  It's about $300 w/o senior discount, $200 w/ senior discount in Guatemala for comparison.

                                  If you are only looking at bone issues, you won't be getting intraveneous tracers.

                                  H4E

                                  ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <davidencr@...> wrote :

                                  Has anyone had a MRI here (to see if it is a problem with a disc) and how much did it cost?

                                • Sheilah Worrell
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                                    CIMA was the most expensive when our son was checking prices, about 3 times
                                    as expensive as the route he went. Unfortunately I can't remember the
                                    hospital he ultimately used. Check around, prices vary in the extreme!

                                  • Robert Williams
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                                      <It's about $300 w/o senior discount, $200 w/ senior discount in Guatemala for comparison.

                                      This is very reasonable compared to the US. I've had a total of three several years ago. As I recall the insurance company was billed over $2,000 for each one. Of course, the insurance companies negotiate prices with the health provider, so no telling what was paid.

                                      It is as if the whole medical profession/ insurance industry in the US is a sham. Doctors mark up like used car salesman, knowing there will be a settlement price with the insurance companies.

                                      Robert

                                    • Mark Gill
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 8, 2014
                                        MRI in San Jose will vary quit a bit between hospitals. Biblica about $1200 Hospital Catalica about $650. Call all the hospitals and see which one has the best price for you.