Arriving to Costa Rica with a one way ticket

  • Corinne McKeever
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2014
      Hi There,

      I am curious if you are allowed to enter the country with a one way ticket
      or do they want to see documentation that shows you are exiting in three
      months?

      Our family will be traveling there for about 3 months, maybe longer, and we
      are about to book our flights there and I was curious if anyone knew the
      policy.

      Many thanks!
      Corinne

    • jschau11 .
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5, 2014
        You can't leave a U.S. airport on most airlines without a return ticket.

      • costacoffee2
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5, 2014
          You are more than likely not be permitted to board the airplane if you don't have a return ticket...or once in CR, made to purchase a return ticket before immigration will let you 'exit the airport'.
          Purchase tickets that can be changed easily.
          If you travel into Panama to renew your 90 day tourist visa, you must present a return ticket to your home country.

        • Hap Cr
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5, 2014
            You will have to get a round trip ticket otherwise you have a very big chance of getting stuck entering Costa Rica and anyway it is just as expensive almost to buy a one way ticket. Also some airlines will not let you leave the US if you do not have a round trip ticket. If you are American however they will give you a stamp for 3 month if you request it and do make sure otherwise they might give you less time and that is a pain.

          • Michael Steiner
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014
              You need to have a round trip ticket (unless you are a CR resident, etc.).  Many airlines check and will not let you board otherwise.

            • Robert Balch
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014
                You do need a return ticket. I am a resident, and each time I go to the
                ticket terminal in the airport to come back here, they ask if I have a
                return ticket, and I show them my resident cedula and then they will ticket
                me. This last time I did that, and then when I was on the plane the flight
                attendant came and asked to see papers for a return, then I had to show her
                the cedula as well. So, yes, they do check.
                The other perk with being a resident is that you can use the shorter line
                at the airport in San Jose that is for citizens, etc.

              • Peter Wendell
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014
                  You don�t actually need a round trip ticket, but you will (probably) need a return ticket for travel within 90 days of your arrival. The reason I mention this is that it can be cheaper to buy an economy one-way ticket to Costa Rica and a fully refundable return ticket if your return dates are flexible. My wife and I did this when we flew down to stay since we had yet to submit our residency paperwork and had no intention of returning. As it happens we were not asked for our return ticket by either the airline or Migraci�n, but it helps to be prepared.

                • Corinne McKeever
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 7, 2014
                    Thanks everyone.

                  • tulsa.lawyer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 7, 2014
                      I have been living here for over 5 years and have to leave every 90 days so I am very up to date on what you need to enter CR. You are required to have proof of exit when leaving the country. You have a couple of options when flying in.
                      1) Purchase round trip air tickets before entering even if your return date is more than 90 days out - you can exit by land to renew your passport and then reenter - using your airline ticket as proof of exit. 2) Purchase a Tica bus ticket and use that as proof of exit when leaving - this is the much cheaper option if you plan to possibly stay for an undetermined period time. You can also use the bus ticket for border entry if you are here longer than 90 days and need to do a border run.
                      If you would like to purchase a bus ticket as your proof of exit you will need it prior to flying in. Contact me if you are interested. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

                    • Hap Cr
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 7, 2014
                        I'm interested in possibly buying a bus ticket how much is it?