Fumigation

  • pookiep36
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 23 2:38 PM
      Hi All,

      A few months back someone gave me the name of an exterminator, in the Central Valley, who happened to speak English.
      I called him and used his services and he was terrific. But now we're moving and I want to spray the garden in the new house for fleas and I can't find his number.
      Can anyone reconnect me with this exterminator? Please?

      Thanks,
      Pookie

    • henry
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 23 6:25 PM
        I don't have the number of the exterminator.  you may want to read this scientific study about the effects of pesticide use around humans. it may make you think twice.   it even talks about spraying around your home at toward the end of the article.  this is not news to me, but it is now being shown by scientific studies.   I wonder what else they will eventually find out about the use of pesticides around humans after this study.

        http://news.yahoo.com/study-links-pesticide-exposure-pregnancy-autism-123742370.html

        henry

      • denverboden .
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 25 5:39 AM
          I truly hope that some folks out there will think twice about poisoning
          themselves with fumigation. Most insects can be avoided in the house using
          ultrasonic plug-ins & a vacuum. All I get are tiny sugar ants & some
          spiders, plus the odd slug-thing-flat-worm (what IS that, anyway??). The
          rest I escort outside - wayward beetles & moths. No big deal. It's the
          tropics!

        • pookiep36
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25 1:11 PM
            Fleas. All I want to do is control the fleas.

          • steveandpaulacr
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 26 7:31 AM
              For a while we had periodic flea outbreaks in our bedroom. The former tenant had a dog and it obviously had fleas. The bedroom floor was wood and the flea eggs would lie dormant for months and then hatch and we’d have fleas everywhere in the bedroom. The flea spray worked up to a point, but the fleas always managed to lay more eggs. In the end we put out a pie plate with a bit of water and a drop or two of detergent, then put a lighted candle in the center of it. The fleas would go for the heat of the candle either burn and crash, or just crash - the detergent kept them from jumping out again and in the morning we had a lot of drowned fleas. We did this for a couple of outbreaks until there were no more outbreaks.

              Paula
            • Larry Rusin
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 26 3:43 PM
                His name is Larry Delgado 2444-0538

                L Michael Rusin
                author of the novels-
                Avalon: The Retreat, Avalon: Beyond The Retreat,
                and California's Child

              • Larry Rusin
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 26 3:57 PM
                  A paper purporting to be a "Scientific Study" may be a biased study, depending on who wrote it. There are many people who dislike or fear pesticides and will report findings that are skewered in that persuasion. I would rather take my chances with a flea treatment to my home to get rid of a persistent pest than live with it because of dubious scientific findings. People and animals have died from flea bites and that is a documented study you might want to consider. People and animals have developed rashes from scratching the bites which can and sometimes become infected. Anything that is beneficial to man and can be measured in PPM (parts per billion) is a miniscule amount of an already diluted formulation. One potato chip on a football field hardly constitutes a threat to ones life. The benefits derived from the treatment is well worth any perceived risk. Just my humble opinion.

                  Eat a whale for dinner.

                  L Michael Rusin

                • henry
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 27 8:58 AM
                    <<A paper purporting to be a "Scientific Study" may be a biased study, depending on who wrote it>>

                    I totally agree with that statement by larry.  I have read enough "scientific studies" that were not bias but just reporting the facts regarding the harmful effects of pesticides, not only on humans but on animals and the environment.  the bias can be said about the reports saying it is safe also.   we all have our reasons for reporting what we do.  mine is because I am a conservationist and concerned about contamination and harm to the environment as well as people.  I understand larry's reasoning because he worked in the pesticide field for decades.  it is up to the individual to research the information and make their own decision.

                    a good example is the huge decline of bee populations.  I had read enough information a number of years ago to know that pesticides were playing a part.  it took years later for it to become "official"  that pesticides were ruining bee populations.  now the cost to pollenize crops is more expensive because farmers have to rent bees from apiarists (bee keepers) to pollinate their crops.  same with the results of ddt discovered years later.  it had a tremendous impact on wildlife during the time that it was considered safe.

                    again do the research and decide for yourself, but look deep.
                    i prefer the approach taken by paula, the dish of soapy water with a candle in the middle.   it sounds effective and not harmful the occupants of the house or the environment.
                    henry