Social Security USA letter

  • egelunddwayne
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 16 7:23 AM
      I recieved a letter from the SS. Says I have 60 days to fill this out and return it with the envelope provide, or I MAY have my SS deposit suspended. Questions: Are you a citizen of another country? if so when? Are you married, divorced or widower,If so date, Do you work, if so how much, do you have children under 16yrs of age.. So on.. About 8 questions and a few follow up.

      My question has anyone else besides me recieved anything like this?/ If so did you send it in?? What is SS fishing for anyway?? are they seeing if your a duel citizen they can with hold your SS.. I am just paranoid enough to think what is in it for the government. Any thoughts??

    • Anthony Carneiro
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 16 11:05 AM
        Re: "I recieved a letter from the SS. Says I have 60 days to fill this out and return it with the envelope provide, or I MAY have my SS deposit suspended. . . . ..
        My question has anyone else besides me recieved anything like this?/ If so did you send it in?? What is SS fishing for anyway?? . . . ..

        I've gotten several of those SS letters, though not recently. SS simply wants to know if you're still alive, and whether they should continue sending money. They ask questions the answer to which they know, but what they really want is the letter, signed and returned.

        The question they are implicitly asking is; "ARE YOU STILL ALIVE??" My best judgement is; if you don't send the letter, they'll stop your check.

        Cheers;
        Anthony C./Curridabat.

      • Robert Balch
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 16 2:56 PM
          Yes, I have gotten it. They just want to verify that you haven't moved or
          are not dead and someone else is collecting your checks. Nothing to worry
          about.

          Rob

        • sailorant7
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16 9:37 PM
            They only send that letter to those who have their SS sent to a foreign bank.

            Sail,

          • egelunddwayne
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 17 5:51 AM
              Thanks all for the info. It is my first one. So now I know what to do.

            • egelunddwayne
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 17 7:21 AM
                I have all my SS and all my money in the states.. banking here no way. So Sail, that is not true.

              • Jim Cottone
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 17 2:21 PM
                  They may send it to anyone who has given them an address outside of the
                  United States, no matter where your money is deposited. I have been
                  using a foreign address for over eight years, though the first six of
                  those were in Cairo, Egypt. This year is the first time I have gotten
                  the letter, after having lived here for two years.

                  Jim

                  --
                  Jim Cottone
                  Professional PC Repairs

                • jrnut Paul
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 17 7:51 PM
                    Saying that SS only sends that letter only to those who have their checks
                    deposited in a foreign bank is not at all a correct statement.

                    My wife and I have a Portland, Oregon bank that our checks are sent to and
                    we each have received this letter a number of times. Twice while still in
                    Oregon and twice while living here.

                  • sailorant7
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 17 9:14 PM
                      I stand corrected.