Colonic Absurdity

  • harrisonsjc
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 12, 2014
      So today I called the BCR 900 number to begin the renewal process for my cedula. Quite easy actually -- just one amusing little glitch that could happen only in our beloved Costa Rica: The very pleasant BCR agent is telling me what I need to bring with me to my appointment 2 weeks out. She gets to the part about dinero and says: "$123 dollars plus $ 7 administrative fee", to which I replied, "OK, that's $130 dollars, right?" "Yes, but you must bring it in colones, not dollars." I responded: "Well, OK, then, how much in colones will that be?"

      Her reply was: "I'm sorry, sir, we have no way to determine that. You'll have to figure that out on June 25 and bring the correct amount of colones according to the bank exchange rate that day." I repeated her answer with a questioning tone and couldn't help laughing. Fortunately, I guess she's a banker, not a Migracrat, and she started laughing, too. We both understood the absurdity of the situation. joe in pavas

    • jckincy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 13, 2014
        And nothing they tell you is correct and if you are lucky the person at BCR will know what they are doing. The Correct amount is $136. That is $123 for Costa Rica, $7 for ? (BCR?), $6 for the Correo de CR. If you take dollars BCR changes them to colons and deposits it in the correct accounts for you.

        One caveat, if you are a pensionado you must have proof of your pension just like when you applied. I had the letter from the US consulate showing my monthly earnings from SS with me but BCR did not ask me for it and I forgot to offer it. So instead of my DIMEX card arriving at the Post Office I got a letter from migración with time and date to appear at La Uruca with the letter and then got my card there. If you do not want to make that trip and spend two or more hours there in that lovely place be sure to present the letter at BCR.

      • alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 13, 2014
          I hesitate to go here for obvious reasons but being unable to determine the price of something seems to go against the flow of capitalism . . . I do now comprehend the authors inadvertent or was it unconscious use of colonic in this context . . . I am sure migra accountants would be dismayed at the inability to actually calculate forward revenues as bean counters do tend, by profession and inclination, to be a bit anal retentive?

          So when the dollar weakens? Berni

        • denverboden .
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 14, 2014
            Yikes! I just applied for my 2nd DIMEX, & the helpful young man at BCR
            didn't ask for my proof of income or my SS statement. He saw I had them in
            my hand - I hope that was enough stimuli to press the right button. I'll
            know in 10 days. Fingers crossed!

          • Scott Bidstrup
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 15, 2014
              Posted by: "denverboden ."

              > Yikes! I just applied for my 2nd DIMEX, & the helpful young man at BCR
              > didn't ask for my proof of income or my SS statement. He saw I had them in
              > my hand - I hope that was enough stimuli to press the right button. I'll
              > know in 10 days. Fingers crossed!

              Exact same thing happened to me.

              When you go to the post office to pick up your new DIMEX, you will be
              handed instead an appointment telling you that BCR was unsuccessful in
              renewing your old one. It will have an appointment (about two weeks
              out, in my case), and will tell you what documents you need to bring to
              the appointment.

              When you arrive at Immigration, go directly to Door 3 (across from the
              entrance to the Soda) and get in line. There is no need to go through
              the information line. Once you are inside, they will call your name.

              They will create your new DIMEX and give it to you before you leave -
              listen carefully for your name to be called. If your name is not called
              when you are waiting for your card, after two hours you can go to
              cubicle 8 and ask, and it will be there. The whole process took me about
              5 hours from the time I arrived to the time I left with my new DIMEX.
            • Deborah Gedling
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 16, 2014
                Same thing happened to us. Our cedulas showed up at the post office ten
                days later!!!!! Same thing happened to some friends. They had to go to
                Immigration!!!

              • stanhopi
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 16, 2014
                  ---In CostaRicaLiving@yahoogroups.com, <debigedling1227@...> wrote :

                  > Same thing happened to us. Our cedulas showed up at the post office
                  > ten days later!!!!! Same thing happened to some friends. They had to go
                  > to Immigration!!!

                  Gentle CRLers,

                  Since so many people are suffering this same sort of situation caused by
                  BCR not being fully up to date with Immigration's renewal documentation
                  requirements, my suggestion would be that some of those folks who are
                  ARCR members ought to report this to ARCR, preferably directly to Ryan
                  Piercy, ARCR's Manager.

                  He may be able to speak for those ARCR members who are having this
                  inconvenience that BCR keeps causing them stumbled with their cédula
                  renewals and could present the concerns to La Migra on its (ARCR's)
                  members' behalf.

                  That might just resolve the BCR inconveniences for everyone.

                  Good Luck!

                  Paul M.
                  ==

                • jckincy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 16, 2014
                    Yes, we complained to the nice young man who served us in cubicle 5. His response was so pura vida, "Esta normal". It is my understanding that the reason for having BCR handle DIMEX renewals and passports is to take the load off La Uruca. If any significant number of people have to go in then it is in fact counter productive. ¡PURA VIDA!

                    But then what does any of this have to do with "Colonic Absurdity"? It is mearly "normal". Que es lo que es.

                  • alajuelanorth
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 16, 2014
                      One of many perfect quotes attributed to Frederick Douglass:

                      "without a struggle at migracion there can be no progress"

                      or this one
                      "I didn't know I was a slave until I found out I couldn't do the things I wanted at BCR."

                      or I love this one in this circumstance
                      "at a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."

                      Berni

                    • Helen F
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 16, 2014
                        Last year I renewed my cedula at the Santa Ana Post office. Other than the
                        card arriving later than anticipated, everything went smoothly. Another
                        friend and her husband had a good experience with the PO.

                        Helen Dunn Frame Facebook:
                        https://www.facebook.com/RetiringInCostaRicaOrDoctorsDogsAndPuraVida

                      • ajeepsea2002
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 17, 2014
                          our last appt. BCR/Alajuela, spouse paid with dollars, , was short on the amount of colones