Kidney Failure in Central America

  • John French
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2014
      Here's a report from the Director of the Nat'l Library of Medicine on
      kidney failure among agricultural workers in Central America, including
      Costa Rica.

      The Director says that, according to the Journal, Science, "the first
      cases of agricultural workers in southern Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica,
      El Salvador, and Panama with chronic kidney disease (CKD) occurred in
      2002 and continue to increase annually. Some estimates are 20,000 young
      adults in Central America have died prematurely from CKD."

      http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/podcast/transcript060214.html

      John French
    • alajuelanorth
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
        OK John, so what's your theory - they seem to have none? Berni

      • Scott Bidstrup
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
          > Posted by: "John French" 28ivanslists@...
          > Date: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:55 pm ((PDT))
          >
          > Here's a report from the Director of the Nat'l Library of Medicine on
          > kidney failure among agricultural workers in Central America, including
          > Costa Rica.

          That article is a whitewash. It says we don't know. Balderdash.

          We DO know.

          Here is the answer from the science journal where it was first reported
          - and it has since been confirmed by additional research:
          http://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/11/2/2125

          The answer has been clear for at least six months, but nobody dares say
          anything, because the answer collides directly with one of Monsanto's
          most profitable businesses, and one that they are determined to push
          onto us here in Central America whether we like it or not (the U.S.
          government is currently conditioning it's $277 million aid package to El
          Salvador on approval of Monsanto GMO seeds that are "Roundup ready" so
          even MORE glyphosate can be used to poison campesinos).
        • Robert Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
            Berni,

            The men affected by Chronic Kidney Disorder (CKD) are predominantly sugar cane cutters. It is not only affecting men, cane cutters in Central America, but Asian countries as well. It seems the cane cutters cut pieces of cane while working to chew to prevent dehydration. There was a study done by one of the Asian countries (Sri Lanka, as I recall), and as a result of this study it seems the cane cutters are ingesting two toxic metals as a result of chewing excessive amounts of cane. Several months ago, whenever we were discussing sugar cane burning, there was post to CRL that provided several links to the subject.

            Actually the most hardest hit countries by CKD in Central America are Nicaragua and El Salvador. There are more men in these two countries dying of CKD than than are dying of AIDS.

            Again there are several websites discussing the issue. In Guanecaste for instance CKD became so taxing to the hospital facilities that CAJA had to start providing in home treatment.

            Robert

          • Robert Williams
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
              MODERATOR NOTE:  THIS IS STARTING TO DRIFT AWAY FROM BEING ABOUT COSTA RICA.

              I AM ALLOWING THIS POST BUT REMINDING OTHERS INTERESTED IN THIS PROBLEM THAT ANY FUTHER POSTS ABOUT KIDNEY DISEASE PLEASE REMAIN PRIMARILY ABOUT COSTA RICA.

              DISCUSSION OF CKD THAT IS UNRELATED TO COSTA RICA WILL NOT BE APPROVED BUT MEMBERS ARE WELCOME TO SAVE THEIR UNRELATED POSTS FOR AGD.

              THANK YOU - MODERATOR
              -  -

              Taken from:

                   http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/29/chronic-kidney-disease-epidemic.aspx#!

              In El Salvador and Nicaragua alone over the last two decades, the number of men dying from kidney disease has risen fivefold. Now more men are dying from the ailment than from HIV/AIDS, diabetes and leukemia combined.
              … The surge of kidney disease is overwhelming hospitals, depleting health budgets, and leaving a trail of widows and children in rural communities. In El Salvador, CKD is the second leading cause of death for men. In the province of Guanacaste, Costa Rica, the regional hospital had to start a home dialysis program because it was overwhelmed with so many CKD victims that it began running out of beds to treat patients with other ailments. So many men have died in some parts of rural Nicaragua that … [one] community, called The Island, now is known as the Island of the Widows — La Isla de las Viudas."
              Robert

              ==

            • alajuelanorth
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 13, 2014
                OK so here's a sentence from the study: "Although glyphosate alone does not cause an epidemic of chronic kidney disease, it seems to have acquired the ability to destroy the renal tissues of thousands of farmers when it forms complexes with a localized geo environmental factor (hardness) and nephrotoxic metals."

                I buy the ingestion of sugar cane juice . . . (though we use local raw sugar here though probably not a pint or 2 a day? in the fields). Hard water and nephrotoxic metals seem to be the other components - all seem to be easily tested for?

                Where the hell are the rocket scientists when you need em?
                Berni
                "it shouldn't take a rocket scientist"