Question about new TVs in CR

  • suesba2002
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2014
      I'm interested in buying a TV (24-32") and want to spend as little as possible as I only plan on being in CR for a year. I have two very old TVs in my apartment with has cable and great internet. A Tico told me that depending on my cable service, a new TV may not play programs in both English and Spanish. In other words, I'll get only programs in Spanish regardless if it is CBS. According to my friend, I would need a converter of some sort or a TV with blue tooth.

      My current TVs have programs in both English and Spanish however the picture isn't very good on some stations.

      Wondering if what my friend tells me is true and what recommendations anyone might have for me.

      Thanks Sue

    • rdresslar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2014
        Sue,

        Your friend is blowing smoke up your skirt and telling you it's sunshine.

        Any new HDTV you buy in the states will work just fine down here. The only problem you'll have is bringing it through customs at the airport, which can eliminate any price savings by buying it up there.

        Arne

      • Jim Cottone
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2014
          I got similar disinformation when I was getting ready to purchase a new
          photo-grade Epson Photo R280 printer here. I asked the salesman to give
          me the model number, as I wanted to purchase a continuous flow bulk ink
          system in the States. He was quick to insist that inks purchased in the
          States won't work in printers sold in Costa Rica. What the printer
          manufacturers do is to simply change the product numbers of the ink
          cartridges for different regions. The cartridges are identical, as is
          the ink, only the number has changed.

          You can often identify which U.S. cartridge to purchase by using the
          model number of the printer, though I have not figured out how to do a
          reverse lookup. I have some friends who brought an Epson printer down
          from the States and have a very difficult time finding replacement
          cartridges for it here.

          By the way, I did an Ebay search for bulk ink systems for my Epson
          printer and was able to purchase on for less than $50 that includes the
          equivalent of over 100 sets of individual cartridges. Given what one
          pays for individual cartridges here I know I will save a couple of grand
          over the life of the printer.

          Jim

          --
          Jim Cottone
          Professional PC Repairs

        • alajuelanorth
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2014
            There are some printers which are made for the Latin Am market and use printer cartridges sold only here (and in China sometimes). I'd be careful to buy a printer model that has supplies available in the US or whatever country you do your shopping in. I was going to go the bulk ink route until I bought the HP Officejet Pro 8600 at Pricesmart - it uses maybe 1/5 of the ink of my previous printers - and ink is available everywhere. It is a big bulky printer/multifunction does wireless from any device but best of all uses little ink, Berni