Cuba_2

  • cancertomnpdx@...
    Message 1 of 11 , May 17, 2014
      May I suggest that all postings about Cuba by US citizens be kept off this page. I believe that travel to Cuba is still highly restricted activity by the US State Department. I am almost certain that the this page is monitored by the US Consular Service in either in San José and/or Washington, DC.

      Such discussions here could very likely generate an interview by US Immigration and/or Homeland Security on your next trip to the US. Remember if the Cuban government give you a ad hoc and disposal entrance and exit stamps for such trips, there is a good reason why you are then able to remove that from your passport for future trips.

    • Robert Williams
      Message 2 of 11 , May 18, 2014
        <May I suggest that all postings about Cuba by US citizens be kept off this page. I believe that travel to Cuba is still highly restricted activity by the US State <Department. I am almost certain that the this page is monitored by the US Consular Service in either in San José and/or Washington, DC.

        It is most interesting that when I pull up to the curb Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International (FLL) at Jet Blue to check  in my luggage on my return to Costa Rica I first have to pass a curbside check in for JET BLUE CHARTERS TO CUBA. But perhaps that service is for those of Cuban descent, whether US citizens or not.

        Robert

      • Kerry Dressler
        Message 3 of 11 , May 18, 2014
          In the past, visitors to Cuba had to request permission from the State Department. You had to have an official invitation and could not spend $$$ in Cuba. We went there a couple of times under those rules. Lately the rules have been relaxed and permission is no longer required. The latest regulations are here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/01/14/reaching-out-cuban-people

          Reaching Out to the Cuban People

          Today, President Obama has directed the Secretaries of State, Treasury, and Homeland Security to take a series of steps to continue efforts to reach out to the Cuban people in support of their desire to freely determine their country�s future.

          The President has directed that changes be made to regulations and policies governing: (1) purposeful travel; (2) non-family remittances; and (3) U.S. airports supporting licensed charter flights to and from Cuba. These measures will increase people-to-people contact; support civil society in Cuba; enhance the free flow of information to, from, and among the Cuban people; and help promote their independence from Cuban authorities.

          The President believes these actions, combined with the continuation of the embargo, are important steps in reaching the widely shared goal of a Cuba that respects the basic rights of all its citizens. These steps build upon the President�s April 2009 actions to help reunite divided Cuban families; to facilitate greater telecommunications with the Cuban people; and to increase humanitarian flows to Cuba.

          The directed changes described below will be enacted through modifications to existing Cuban Assets Control and Customs and Border Protection regulations and policies and will take effect upon publication of modified regulations in the Federal Register within 2 weeks.

          Purposeful Travel. To enhance contact with the Cuban people and support civil society through purposeful travel, including religious, cultural, and educational travel, the President has directed that regulations and policies governing purposeful travel be modified to:

          � Allow religious organizations to sponsor religious travel to Cuba under a general license.

          � Facilitate educational exchanges by: allowing accredited institutions of higher education to sponsor travel to Cuba for course work for academic credit under a general license; allowing students to participate through academic institutions other than their own; and facilitating instructor support to include support from adjunct and part-time staff.

          � Restore specific licensing of educational exchanges not involving academic study pursuant to a degree program under the auspices of an organization that sponsors and organizes people-to-people programs.

          � Modify requirements for licensing academic exchanges to require that the proposed course of study be accepted for academic credit toward their undergraduate or graduate degree (rather than regulating the length of the academic exchange in Cuba).

          � Allow specifically licensed academic institutions to sponsor or cosponsor academic seminars, conferences, and workshops related to Cuba and allow faculty, staff, and students to attend.

          � Allow specific licensing to organize or conduct non-academic clinics and workshops in Cuba for the Cuban people.

          � Allow specific licensing for a greater scope of journalistic activities.

          Remittances. To help expand the economic independence of the Cuban people and to support a more vibrant Cuban civil society, the President has directed the regulations governing non-family remittances be modified to:

          � Restore a general license category for any U.S. person to send remittances (up to $500 per quarter) to non-family members in Cuba to support private economic activity, among other purposes, subject to the limitation that they cannot be provided to senior Cuban government officials or senior members of the Cuban Communist Party.

          � Create a general license for remittances to religious institutions in Cuba in support of religious activities.

          No change will be made to the general license for family remittances.

          U.S. Airports. To better serve those who seek to visit family in Cuba and engage in other licensed purposeful travel, the President has directed that regulations governing the eligibility of U.S. airports to serve as points of embarkation and return for licensed flights to Cuba be modified to:

          � Allow all U.S. international airports to apply to provide services to licensed charters, provided such airports have adequate customs and immigration capabilities and a licensed travel service provider has expressed an interest in providing service to and from Cuba from that airport.

          The modifications will not change the designation of airports in Cuba that are eligible to send or receive licensed charter flights to and from the United States.

        • John French
          Message 4 of 11 , May 18, 2014
            The laws regarding travel by US citizens to Cuba are among the silliest
            of the 20th and now 21st century. One indication of how silly, is that
            the US gummint gave up enforcing them years ago. They don't allow planes
            to fly from the US to Cuba with passengers who don't have their
            approval, but they don't try to stop US citizens from flying there from
            other countries, nor do they prosecute them when they do. Silly laws.

            As to discussing something that is illegal according to the US gumment,
            but NOT illegal as far as our gummint here is concerned, you make your
            own choice whether to listen to someone who tells you don't talk about it.

            Having the US gummint tell me what to do is actually even more annoying
            than having some CRL member tell me.

            Did you know that US legislators passed a law for themselves and only
            themselves allowing them to buy Cuban cigars? For us, it's against the
            law. Like i said, silly laws.

            Cuba is nice to visit, very inexpensive, few gringo tourists to get in
            your way, and, like the US, with an enormous bureaucracy micromanaging
            even the simplest things, like renting a room in a casa particular
            (private home). But worth seeing at least once. Beautiful beaches;
            delightful Habana Vieja. Tickets on their airline are easy to buy in
            downtown Jan Jose. They don't stamp your passport.

            So they tell me.

            John French
          • cahntact1
            Message 5 of 11 , May 18, 2014
              Everything we do today is monitored.  Hi NSA!  In the past you would have been called peeping toms, ostracized from society for being perverts, and jailed.

              "To believe is very dull.
              To doubt is intensely engrossing.
              To be on the alert is to live,
              to be lulled into security is to die."
              -- Oscar Wilde
              (1854-1900)

            • steveandpaulacr
              Message 6 of 11 , May 18, 2014
                Cuba is not Costa Rica - I was under the understanding that CRL was to do with living life in Costa Rica, not Cuba. Whether Cuba is under the U.S. microscope is neither here nor there, I would prefer to see posts that have to do with Costa Rica.

                Paula
              • Robert Williams
                Message 7 of 11 , May 18, 2014
                  It most interesting that people come from the US to Costa Rica for plastic surgery, particularly gringas. But I have had ticas tell me that if they were to have plastic surgery they would prefer to go to either Cuba or Columbia. The reason, it is much less expensive, and from talking with fellow ticas who have gone they perceive the competence of the surgeons to be better.

                  Perhaps it is all a matter of perception.

                  Robert
                • livinglifeincostarica
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 18, 2014
                    Having done 5 years of research on Medical Tourism in CR & seeing that CR is now at the high end of the Medical Tourism field - added to the quality of education & low cost, IF I were to get any extensive work done these days - in a heartbeat I'd go to Columbia!!!

                    I haven't researched Cuba yet but what I've seen about their system, it's supposed to be quite good (but Goddess forbid I encourage American's on that here for fear not that my government will come get me as much as fear that one of the ridged/by the book folk here will turn me in!!)

                    It's REALLY sad for the people of CR that many in these fields have blown it for the people by outpricing themselves (once again. Look what's happened with tourism & housing purchasing prices here!!!).

                  • John French
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 19, 2014
                      I commented on Cuba giving information that a tourist (of whatever
                      nationality) might find helpful if traveling from Costa Rica to Cuba. As
                      such, i don't think it was off topic, and apparently neither did the
                      moderators.

                      Sorry for the sniping, but come on.

                      John French
                    • alajuelanorth
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 19, 2014
                        As always John you are the definition of perspicacious!

                        "Cuba is nice to visit, very inexpensive, few gringo tourists to get in
                        your way, . . . . But worth seeing at least once." And they don't stamp passports or didn't.

                        Most worthwhile seeing and music around every corner too . . . and the reason the topic is valid is simply that Cuba is an alternative for "medical tourism" to Costa Rica. Though I do wish they'd find a better name for painful dental surgery and the like.

                        So who has done surgery there?

                        Berni

                      • fraluchi
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 24, 2014
                          Costa Rica sizes 20 K sq. mi. and has a population of approx. 5 mio (give and take a few nicas) Any attendable info on the number of Cubans in the Costa Rican health sector ?
                          Cuba sizes 42 K sq. mi, has a population of approx. 11 mio (give and take a few heads in Guantanamo);
                          The USA sizes 90 times Cuba and has 29 times the number of population.

                          Any David-Goliath discussion, and which does not concern Costa Rica, is misplaced.