Re Renewing Driver License

  • mrlee in Jaco
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2014
      "You can renew an existing license l at any licensing office or BCR"

      i was under the impression (unless things have changed recently) that only CITIZENS can renew driver's licenses at BCR.
      cedulas, yes, everyone at BCR, but not driver license

      mrlee

    • jckincy
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2014
        I also thought only nationals could renew DL's at BCR, however, there is no mention of that at BancoBCR web site.

        They do say that a requirement is "Original y Fotocopia por ambos lados de la Cédula de identidad vigente y en buen estado". It may be that the DIMEX is not "la Cédula" but merely a cédula (de residencia), no lo sé.

        BCR also issues Costa Rican Passports and processes some DIMEX renewals. Cédulas for Ticos are issued by TSE.

        You can request an appointment to renew DL's at 800 BCR Cita (800-2272482). They might tell you if a non nacional can renew there.

      • mkeeler315 .
        Message 3 of 6 , May 16, 2014
          I just called BCR on this...they said ony nationals may do this at BCR.
          Residents must go to COSEVI en La Uruca. They provided me with COSEVI's
          number: 2257-7200. I called, no answer.

        • costacoffee2
          Message 4 of 6 , May 16, 2014
            Well, we did it, in Liberia!
            You can also renew it, at any licensing facility, not just 'COSEVI en La Uruca', although for your initial license, you must go there.

          • alajuelanorth
            Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2014
              . . . so we have 3 phone numbers and 3 diferent ways of being billed . . .

              phone #1 we get a letter in our PO Box with an actual bill
              phone #2 we get an email for the bill
              phone #3 we get nothing at all and periodically we forget to pay it

              Perhaps COSEVI opted for Option 3?
              :-))

              Berni
              weird but better than tanks in the driveway . . .

            • denverboden .
              Message 6 of 6 , May 18, 2014
                Friends of ours did it 2 weeks ago in San Ramon & said it was a breeze!