another horror story and US Embassy incompetence(5)

  • Robert Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2014
      Whenever I opened my account with BCR in February, 2011, I did NOT go to the Social Security rep at the Embassy for verification of benefit. Rather, I went with my landlord who had utility receipts in his name, as well as my personal documentation to the BCR in Grecia.. The personal documentation included my passport and copies of the previous two years US income tax returns. Attached to both of the tax returns was a copy of the Form 1099R from the Social Security Administration. This was all the bank needed, and after about two hours of paperwork my account was opened. The next month the Social Security benefit started coming to BCR rather than the US bank. I had to do nothing to transfer, that was done by BCR and the SSA.

      Robert

    • costacoffee2
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2014
        As most of us are aware the banking regulations have now changed and what was once deemed 'acceptable to the bank' may no longer be enough to satisfy them.

      • Robert Williams
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2014
          And then some read into regulations rules that are not there. The day before I opened my BCR account in Grecia I went to the BCR bank in La Uruca and was told without question I would need to get certification of SS income. The next day I went to the Greciia branch of BCR with copies of the 2008 and 2009 Form 1099 R's, and to them that provided sufficient evidence of SS income to open the account.

          A lot of these "requirements" depend on the bank official, as well as the person's attitude when making a request.

          I recall in December many CLR having accounts with BN talking about having to update vital information lest their account be closed. At BCR I presented an "update" package for my account and presented it to a BCR. He wanted to know why I went to the.trouble. Obviously the "regulations" vary from bank to bank and are subject to the interpretation of the bank official reading them.

          Robert

        • Robert Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2014
            The objective of the current regulation is to provide certification is to demonstrate one in fact has the sociall security income stated. The reason banks refer people to the Embassy is that most have no other way of certifying. There is no better certification than a Form 1099R from the SSA..

          • Jim Cottone
            Message 5 of 5 , May 14, 2014
              I, too, have had nothing but good service from the BCR at the Grecia
              Mall. I was having horrendous problems with my HSBC account in the
              States. They had lost three replacement Debit cards when my old one
              expired, and I was unable to get access to my Social Security pension. I
              had a Davivienda account at the time, but it took seven days, and 6.5
              hours on the phone with HSBC, to get their permission to wire transfer
              my own darn money from there into my own darn account at Davivienda. I
              just happened to get one employee on the phone who actually cared enough
              about the customer to follow through on my request and get the wire
              transfers approved. She worked for an hour and a half on my behalf, and
              I finally had my money the folloing day.

              When I finally got my approval letter for my Cedula I went to BCR to
              open an account so that I could switch my Direct Deposit to BCR
              (Davivienda is NOT approved by Social Security!). The gentleman who
              worked with me at BCR was very helpful, and stretched a few rules for
              me. I do not get any of my utility bills in my name, other than my Metro
              Wireless bill, but he finally accepted my Caja receipt for proof of my
              address because it had an official CAJA stamp on it.

              Even then, he was not allowed to open an account for me until I actually
              had my Cedula. It wasn't until I explained the horror story regarding
              HSBC, and said that I wanted to open an account so that I could have my
              Social Security pension direct deposited into a BCR account, that he
              finally relented and said that I could open a checking account using my
              passport. He filled out the form to submit to the Embassy, and one month
              later I began receiving my money into the BCR account.

              They have always been very courteous and helpful whenever I visit the
              branch. That isn't very often, as I am ably to pay all of my monthly
              bills right on their web site.

              Jim

              --
              Jim CottoneS