liquidating someone who works for you

  • katemeri
    Message 1 of 8 , May 10, 2014
      Can someone share what the formula is or where I can find it to calculate how to liquidate someone who worked for you part time? I tried to search for it but can't figure out how to do that with the changes to the yahoo site. Thanks!

    • Robert Balch
      Message 2 of 8 , May 10, 2014
        The calculator is at this website. Just plug the numbers in, and it will
        give you what you should pay. However, they will almost always disagree
        and go to the labor board anyway. It is a pain, but just do the numbers
        and print it out. Make sure you have all the documentation to back up what
        you are showing. Aguinaldo, vacation, Caja. You can get the actual
        amounts from the Caja, assuming you paid into it. There was also an
        explanation of how to use the calculator in English in an AM Costa Rica
        article. I believe it was sometime in June of maybe 2011. Not sure about
        that one, but you can search on their website for that. Very good
        explanation of how to fill out the calculator in English. Here is the
        website for the calculator:

        http://www.leylaboral.com/costarica/PrestacionesLaboralesCR.aspx?nuevo=1#

        Rob

      • alajuelanorth
        Message 3 of 8 , May 11, 2014
          in fact if you have any concern at all go down to the ministerio office nearest you and ask them to help you calculate it . . . that can take the wind out of the sails of any probable contest, Berni

        • Robert Balch
          Message 4 of 8 , May 11, 2014
            Berni's suggestion is spot on. Go to the Ministerio de Trabajo and have
            them calculate it. The employee will do that, believe me. He will come in
            with other numbers, i.e. more hours per week, which effects both the
            aguilnaldo and vacation. So, any documentation you have to back yourself
            up, bring with you.

            Rob

          • Linda Gray
            Message 5 of 8 , May 11, 2014
              Once you have come up with the correct amounts, write it all up in a letter, in Spanish: reason for termination, hours specific amounts paid under each category, how long the person worked for you, how many hours etc. Have the employee sign it before you give them the payout. Give them a copy, keep original for yourself, and save that letter. If the employee subsequently goes to file against you, it will be your proof. Has saved me from messy situations before.

              Sent from Samsung Mobile.

            • costacoffee2
              Message 6 of 8 , May 11, 2014
                Note: the calculations will be based on what the salary is, at this point and does not take into consideration on the workers starting wage. Previous aquinaldos and vacation pay will also be taken into consideration.
              • jckincy
                Message 7 of 8 , May 14, 2014
                  What is the notice requirements if any for letting someone go? I notice that this is the first question on the Ley Laboral survey.

                  My reason is I am moving and thus no longer needing their services and they know that this is happening but do not know a date certain. I now know within a time frame, before 1 July. Is it 1 week or one month or ...?

                • Robert Balch
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 14, 2014
                    I believe it is 30 days, and if it is less that 30, you have to pay them
                    the 30 days anyway.

                    Rob