solar system

  • johnmiesen
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 18, 2014
      Something strange here...1 sq m solar panel puts out about 150W of power. 300 sq ft is about 30 sq m, with a total output on a good day of 1500 W. That's 12A @ 120V--can't build a house on that...

    • steveandpaulacr
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 19, 2014
        Probably my husband’s estimates are off - he was guessing. We’ve beeb assured that the 18 panels we have will give us more than enough power.

        Paula
      • Jim Cottone
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 19, 2014
          John,

          It seems that your calculation is off a bit. If you have 30 sq. m. the
          output should be 4500 watts, or 37.5 amps at 120 volts. Here's a link to
          a pretty good sizing calculator that lets you plug in all of your own
          numbers. http://www.freesunpower.com/system_sizing.php

          Jim

          --
          Jim Cottone
          Professional PC Repairs

        • jamartx2000
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 19, 2014
            Maybe you're using "new Math" ;) ???? 30 X 150 = 4500 but that still seems a pretty small amount
            for building.
            Jim M.

          • Charlie Burns
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 19, 2014
              How much power do you need to build a house?

              Depends. I built an off grid house with a 1000 watt generator once. We
              all had the biggest Milwaukee cordless tools at the time. So the power
              was used to charge tools and to run our swamp cooler once we were closed in.
              We could also run a small compressor ( not at the same time as the swamp
              cooler ).

              Anyway, here in Costa Rica it seems to be the biggest "power tool" is
              the concrete mixer. So that's just a 1/2 HP motor.

              But I think the most
              important thing in this particular case is that the solar panels are
              grid tied -- so the builders can draw as much current as they want
              at any one time. Not like with a generator or a battery bases PV system.
              So as long as the overall power used is less than the power generated
              they are good.
            • steveandpaulacr
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 20, 2014
                You guys are all talking about how much power you need to “build” a house. My house is already built and I was talking about how much power I’m going to use once I live there. I doubt that while building the house our workers used anywhere near as much power as what you are talking about. It’s just as two-bedroom house - not a palace!

                Paula
              • egelunddwayne
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 20, 2014
                  No one here saying how much it cost up front?/ And how many years it will take to recope the cost?? So who can tell me/us how much you paid for this here in CR??

                • steveandpaulacr
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 21, 2014
                    Prices have come down a great deal so what we paid for our solar system really has no relation to what you will be paying. You’ll need to price it out yourself.

                    Paula
                  • egelunddwayne
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 21, 2014
                      Paula, I did price it out, Thank you. It takes roughly 9,2 years at the break even at the current rate. Prices vary 10K on upwards to 37K depending on the amount KWH you need. Plus ICE figure 3 month or more for the connection plus a fee for that Humm!. Does not seem like something I want to invest in at these prices .

                    • sdmcglinn
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 21, 2014
                        I, also would like to hear a figure, even a ballpark figure!!!!!

                      • alajuelanorth
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 22, 2014
                          400

                        • Tim Muldoon
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 24, 2014
                            I just read a comment from a reader in response to Intel leaving. He said
                            that his electricity bill has gone up 300% in the last 6 years with little
                            change in lifestyle. When I build my home in Atenas, I will absolutely
                            cover my roof in solar panels and hook up to the grid. A 9 year payback
                            seems rather high from what I have read, but even so that means that the
                            next 11-16 years your electricity will be essentially free! I plan to spend
                            the rest of my life in CR so it would be a wise investment for me
                            regardless.

                            --

                            *What we do in life, echoes in eternity. (Maximus in Gladiator)*

                          • quebecostarica
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 24, 2014
                              Tim,

                              When you are going to build your house, do not forget to add some sort of insulation for your roof. Most roof here in Costa Rica are acting as pizza ovens!

                              Once done, solar will make more sense.

                              Here is a document about roofing for the tropics - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwlNRcxAjJXySkw0NTlfMlRCUFE/edit?pli=1 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwlNRcxAjJXySkw0NTlfMlRCUFE/edit?pli=1

                              Roger Pilon, Editor
                              The Planet Fixer Digest