Costa Rica ATM charges

  • Simon
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2014
      It seems that using an ATM to receive cash in CR, you are limited to the amount to US$400.00 cash per day. What is interesting is that Scotia Bank will only payout a maximum of $200 per time, forcing you into 2 transactions and therefore charging you 2 fees. I wonder where this is going - Only US$100 per transaction so they can hit you up for 4 fees?
    • Kerry Dressler
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2014
        I get money from Scotia bank for a friend and get $400 a day per card(the limit on Capital 1 cards is $400 I believe). Charles Schwab has no limit per day.... but you have to insert the card and the bank sets the limit.... then do it over and over again until you are finished or out of funds.
      • P H
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2014
          I have a RBC $ account, I got an extra card so I have 2. It cost me 3.75 per withdrawal, Limit is $1,000 per card but because of the 3.75 I have to do 500, then 480, $15.00 bank charge for the 2 cards and I walk away with $1960. Fresh Market ATM in Santa Anna always has the dollars, well almost every time.

        • Robert Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2014
            I rarely use my US debit card, from the First Bank of Clewiston. But whenever, I use an ATM at Banco de Costa Rica and pay no ATM fee; nor is there any fee from my US bank. I withdraw in dollars to avoid the foreign transaction fee, which is charged to my US bank by VISA.

            Also by withdrawing in dollars, whether from BCR or First Bank of Clewiston, rather than in colones I go to Desyfin to do my exchange. Desyfin offers a more favorable exchange rate, so much more that my net yield is even greater than those using US cards boasting no foreign transaction fee.

            First Bank of Clewiston does have a daily limit though, of $400.

            Robert

          • Doug Henry
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2014
              I use the Scotia Bank in Tibas and I can withdraw up to $1000 in one
              transaction. Banco Popular in Orotina has a note posted that you can pull
              up to $800 a day?

            • Doug Henry
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2014
                We use BBVA in the US and we have our cards each set for $400. You might
                check with your bank. We also have an account at LaFise and at their bank
                in Santa Ana they have the limit on the machine set at $200 so we walk
                across the street and use Scotia.

              • wwhhaattzzuupp
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2014
                  capital one 360, no atm fees, 900 a day limit, no over draft and no 3% on purchases