Are you making your own yogurt here in Costa Rica.

  • <cancertomnpdx@...>
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 3, 2014
      Where do you find whole milk with fat content of 3.25% as specified by the USDA? I can only find Dos Pinos milk here in Grecia with fat content of 2%.
      Also, where did you find your starter? I just translated the contents of Dos Pinos Deligurt ingredients and I am they have no live cultures in it but using either pectin or vegetable starches to thickening their product.
      I am not complaining about Dos Pinos products here because the milk, butter and yogurt are very good. I just want something more naturally processed particularly the yogurt.
      I live in Grecia so I like suggestions for Grecia and Alajuela.

      Thanks,
      Tom

    • kdreaper
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2014
        I have a box of envelopes of starter. I doubt I am going to make yogurt any time soon:) I think you can use yogurt as a starter though, but I would be more than happy to meet you in town some time and give you this box. I got it in the states though, not sure where to get it here. Once you had yogurt made from the starter, I am sure you could use that to make more.

      • Jesse Douglas
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3, 2014
          I think http://www.gemcultures.com/ could probably help you but you'd need
          to use a courier service to get the products here and idk how sensitive
          they are. I know 2 people that make yougurt here in Monteverde so if you're
          ever up this way you can buy some of their yogurt and use it as a live
          culture to start your batch (this is called backslopping, a great name for
          a simple technique). Wholefoods Monteverde has their yogurt but you can get
          it in San Luis and Benito Guindon also has cultures here.

        • jckincy
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3, 2014
            I have never bought any but there are these guys in pickups with milk cans in the back going up and down the roads of Grecia selling milk. My guess is that it is raw milk and that the butterfat is determined by the cow so that it could be up you to water it down to get 3%.

          • Melissa Fennema
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 3, 2014
              Hi Tom,

              I've been making my own yogurt for years here, and everything you need is in any mid-sized super. Whole milk is available made by Dos Pinos, Coronado, and other, but sold only in the ultra-pasteurized tetra packs. They are found in the aisle, not the dairy case, and the box is usually red.

              For starter I use the yogurt that is called "natural" by Dos Pinos or even yoplet. It's in a light blue, single serving container, and is 0% fat. This is your plain yogurt and can be used as a starter because it has the active bacteria. Most yogurt does nowadays, but this is unflavored.

              To make yogurt simply bring your milk to a boil. Let it boil for a few minutes for a firmer set. Then let it cool back down to about 115 degrees, add just one tablespoon of your starter, stir gently, the put the covered pot into a warm place. I use my oven with the light on. In about 6-8 hours you'll have lovely plain whole-milk yogurt.

              HTH

              Melissa
            • irenakundalini
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2014
                You can find a country milk on feria in Grecia or Alajuela. Very often is already sour. In Europa we call it yogurt. In my opinion is the best, pure with a lot of the healthy bacteria. I even make a country cheese of it. Regards, Irena

              • Sheilah Worrell
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2014
                  Tom, I tried to reply privately but it bounced back. So I'm replying to
                  the group.

                  I do make my own yogurt. I use an Heirloom type which means I do not
                  need to use heat to make the yogurt. I can simply make it on the
                  countertop. I bought my starter from Cultures for Health. I'd gladly give
                  you a starter if you ever get to my area. I live in San Rafael de Heredia.
                  They don't sell whole milk here as far as Iknow. The closest you can get
                  is 3.5% that
                  they sell for small children. It's in a box, on the shelf, and is
                  ultra-pasturized. Not the best for making yogurt. I simply use my 2% milk
                  and add a little cream.

                  Sheilah

                • Thomas E Mayer Jr
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2014
                    Thanks for the tip. My neighbor's son is a new qualified vet doing
                    practice outside of Grecia but for Saturdays and Sundays. I think she
                    said he is specializing in cows. I must check out with him if he knows any
                    of the Grecia milk guys. I wouldn't mind making my own Queso Blanco, it is
                    very bland here for my taste. I found some lemon juice from Sicily at the
                    Peri downtown which might make a tasty cheese.

                    Again thanks for responding to my posting,
                    Tom

                  • Thomas E Mayer Jr
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4, 2014
                      Melissa,

                      Thanks for the Don Piños tip on whole milk. I saw it that the Grecia
                      downtown Perí but failed to buy a box to bring it home to translate the
                      printed material on the container. I also appreciate you sharing your
                      success using the "natural" yogurt product from Don Piños also.

                      I translated the carton data yesterday through Google translate and thought
                      the company was thickening the yogurt with just vegetable starch. It is
                      nice to hear you have had successful with this product.

                      Again thanks for your help,
                      Tom